• Furman vs. Virginia (March 16th 12:40pm Orlando, FL)

#69209  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 pm
What an unbelievable experience! and win!

Slawson - Played the game of his life. Best player on the court.
Bothwell - Played great with limited minutes due to fouls, several questionable calls. Second best player on the court by a whisker.
Foster - Played great. Hit 3 big 3 pointers in the second half and kept us in the game. I think this was a coming out party for him. Showed he's a big time player. Loved his aggressiveness on offense.
Hien - Played good. Struggled all year at the free throw line and then made the 2 biggest free throws of his life. Then there was THE STEAL OF THE CENTURY!
Pegues - He looked out of sorts, maybe struggling with an injury or illness? But the last 6 minutes he came up big. And then there was THE SHOT OF THE CENTURY!
Williams - Played well at both ends. Made some big shots.
VanderWal, Hughey, Whitt - all did what they needed to do without any major mistakes.

The Refs - Favored UVA. Every time we touched them it was a foul. When they made contact with us, sometimes it was and often times it wasn't.

The Crowd - Favored Furman. Seemed like there were more FU fans than UVA. Most everybody else was rooting for FU.

Coach R - outcoached one of the best coaches in college basketball. UVA looked like a deer in the headlights against the 1-3-1. And at the end they thought we were going to foul and we didn't...and the rest is history!

Saturday's Game - like the match-up with San Diego State. They remind me of Virginia.

By the way I picked Furman to go all the way to the Final Four and win it all on my bracket. :D

Ain't gonna be no rematch. Unless the Wahoos want to come to the Well next year.
dornb, FU Hoopla liked this
 #69221  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:41 am
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:00 pm
Dins just beat the ACC reg season champs!
Actually Miami won the regular season but its ok.
Sports Illustrated
Virginia Beats Louisville, Clinches Share of ACC Regular Season Title
UVA clinched a share of the 2023 ACC regular season title

MATT NEWTON
MAR 4, 2023 4:08 PM EST
din23 liked this
 #69224  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 am
What an amazing atmosphere in the building. I would except the largest venue the team has played in, and by the end of the game it was almost a full house. I agree that Furman fans outnumbered UVA fans and every neutral party was pulling for the Paladins. When Pegues’ shot went in the roof nearly came off.

Pegues and Hein will be the memory of the game, but Richey’s decision to move to a 1-3-1 in the second half was a master stroke. You could see that UVA was completely unprepared for it.

Furman came out of a timeout and didn’t have a point guard on the floor. Hein was well beyond the three point line clogging up passing lanes. Richey said after he thought it might take them out of their screen action, and it sure enough did.

It felt all afternoon like UVA was hitting contested shots while Furman was getting open looks not going in. During warmups before the second half Furman players were nailing nearly every three pointer they shot. I thought for sure that eventually those shots would start falling. Just keep shooting them.

Firman fought back against an incredibly good team with our leading scorer spending much of the game on the bench, a double digit second half deficit, ice cold free throw shooting in the first half, getting out rebounded much of the game, and having an off shooting night. Imagine if we get the jitters out now and get that right - it might be a banner day.
 #69225  by furpop16
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:16 am
Excellent summary - glad you were there! I might add Slawaon’s personal 9-0 run to give Furman the lead was pivotal as well.

BTW, anyone wanting to hear Dan’s call of the last several seconds, just find Scott Keeler’s Twitter feed. Goosebumps.
dornb liked this
 #69232  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 am
Just landed from my flight back home and I’m still smiling from ear to ear. Still not sure I’ve fully processed everything and may not be able to for a while.

17 years ago, jackal, ravenpaladin, and myself made a promise that if Furman ever made the tourney, we would be there. So happy we didn’t back down off that promise. Being in the arena to share that game/moment with 2 of my best friends is something I won’t forget for the rest of my life. We were in the loge seats right above the Furman section and we’re thankful to be in the quadrant where “it” all happened.

I, like a lot of you, have seen Furman on the wrong end of a lot of these games. My second away football game as a freshman was the “miracle on the mountain,” and of course there was the SoCon champ game last year. If yesterday was the payback for all that heartache, then I’d do it again no questions asked.

Truly an all time great day in my sports life, and I don’t think they’re done yet! GO ‘DINS!
Victor Greene, dornb, din23 liked this
 #69233  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
Sports Illustrated

MATT NEWTON
Miami was the #1 seed as they beat Virginia, just like FU was #1 in the SoCon. If you want to say co-champion Im good with that.
 #69236  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
Sports Illustrated

MATT NEWTON
Miami was the #1 seed as they beat Virginia, just like FU was #1 in the SoCon. If you want to say co-champion Im good with that.
FUBeAR is a proponent of telling the truth in its best light.

The truth is, as Sad Din accurately noted, Furman defeated the ACC Regular Season Champions.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #69237  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:45 am
I will readily admit that I often gripe about our lack of emphasis on the low post, but it made us well-equipped to take on the Pack Line defense. We dictated pace better than most teams who play the Hoos. For the last quarter of the game, Bob Richey outcoached, IMHO, the best coach in college basketball. Cheers to the men who made us proud today.
dornb, cavedweller2, youwouldno and 1 others liked this
 #69238  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:33 am
This is a good video of it. This was maybe the only time I remember UVA actually breaking down the 1-3-1 (it took them a while to get organized).

UVA's excellent point guard has the ball and is facing Hein on the logo. Pegues is under the basket.

dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.