Alley Gym wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:19 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:46 am
Alley Gym wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:56 am
AWill is in the portal.
dont see it. hopefully a little trolling here
Everytime I have posted in this thread you have accused me of trolling. Why would I troll about this? I’m a Furman alum and hoops fan, this news sucks to me.

With 4 of our top 6 players now gone, things do look bleak but these days you can get a whole new team in a few weeks through the portal. Just gotta wait and see what Bob can do. I hope not having a home arena this year doesn’t deter some 1 year grad transfers.
That’s what I’ve been saying…would be a pretty big (negative) factor for me but CBR will figure this out, adapt, and put together a decent team.
yea sorry dude. u have been spot on. In denial I guess
 #86497  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:20 pm
AW transferring out is the least of the surprises. That now leaves us with 5 open scholarship positions. Looks like the young freshmen could now get some serious playing time next year. So much for everyone coming back and having a decent chance of winning the SOCON next year. Chemistry on this team was obviously a bigger problem than let on, but I think everyone could see the frustration in CBRs face throughout the season. Still hopeful that we will find some quality players in the portal. Stay positive!
Sad Din, dornb liked this
 #86498  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:31 pm
The portal taketh away but it also giveth. Remember right now it's all about exits, not about entrants.

No doubt we will see at least a couple transfers in, and Bob know the kind of kids we want. I'm convinced there were some chemistry issues this year, and we saw what this team was capable of....a good not great SoCon team.

So let's take this opportunity to hit reset and see if we can get back to great with the right additions.

OTOH, I got turned off to the big league college teams because of the prevalance of the "1 and done" players...the sad reality is now every one is a potential "1 and done" player and every year is going to be a different landscape. Sad but it's the reality.
FUpaladin08, furpop16 liked this
 #86500  by PacoTisdale
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 pm
A little tired of the exaggerations about the changes to college basketball. More players transferring and getting to rightfully make money off of your own name does not mean college basketball is not still college basketball. The landscape changed for better or worse. Coaches have and will adapt like they always will and I expect no less from coach richey.
 #86501  by MNORM
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:59 pm
Paladin83 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:34 pm
At this point, there’s no doubt we are in dumpster fire territory. Incredible how our team chemistry went from great to crap in one year.
Player leadership void was never filled post MB and JS graduating.
Paul C liked this
 #86505  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:07 pm
There has to be a glass half full approach. As Paul C said we are only seeing the exits. We can’t pretend there are less players available than there used to be. For every portal transfer that leaves, there’s a HS or D2 player available that got passed up. The mid major coach that can bring in HS talent ready to play as a true or redshirt freshman, paired with seasoned D2 players will succeed. Gone are the days of developing talent over 4-5 years. Those young players that see success might transfer after 2 years so you have to win while you have that talent and be ready to bring in more. It’s a different landscape, but not unnavigable. As a coach you have to get kids ready to play sooner and be prepared to lose them after success. Can we win with freshmen and sophomores instead of juniors and seniors? I don’t think CBR is on his heels here. He knows the challenge ahead and what his team is capable of. Team leadership will be key and there’s nobody better to pull that out of young men than CBR. Let’s see what the Freshman and Bowser can do with any transfers CBR can pull into the program.
 #86506  by MNORM
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
There has to be a glass half full approach. As Paul C said we are only seeing the exits. We can’t pretend there are less players available than there used to be. For every portal transfer that leaves, there’s a HS or D2 player available that got passed up. The mid major coach that can bring in HS talent ready to play as a true or redshirt freshman, paired with seasoned D2 players will succeed. Gone are the days of developing talent over 4-5 years. Those young players that see success might transfer after 2 years so you have to win while you have that talent and be ready to bring in more. It’s a different landscape, but not unnavigable. As a coach you have to get kids ready to play sooner and be prepared to lose them after success. Can we win with freshmen and sophomores instead of juniors and seniors? I don’t think CBR is on his heels here. He knows the challenge ahead and what his team is capable of. Team leadership will be key and there’s nobody better to pull that out of young men than CBR. Let’s see what the Freshman and Bowser can do with any transfers CBR can pull into the program.
I have no doubt CBR and his staff have been preparing for this scenario for quite some time.
 #86510  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:23 pm
MNORM wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I have no doubt CBR and his staff have been preparing for this scenario for quite some time.
Spot on. He knew there were attitude issues by the middle of the season. By then, it was too late to fix it. Like you, I have no doubt Coach Richey will get this fixed and the TEAM will be better off. Coach Richey is the best in the business in managing people. He is the perfect person to be in charge. We have a lot to look forward to. Go Paladins.
MidlandsPaladin, dornb, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #86511  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm
FUBeAR just doesn’t ‘get’ the point of putting 12-15 young men on a basketball court, that may (or may not) be part-time Furman students, wearing purple & white with “FURMAN” proudly emblazoned across their chests, if we almost certainly know almost none of them intend to become Furman graduates. Add in that we had to outbid Grand Canyon State to get them to become (casual labor) Paladins for 1 or 2 years and then we had to try, but failed, to outbid Murray State to keep them from leaving.

Seems to FUBeAR, at that point, we’re really just cheering for (and paying for…some of us) our desired color of laundry to score more baskets than another set of differently colored laundry.

If that’s good enough for you, FUBeAR says ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and you enjoy being you.

FUBeAR is gonna decide if he invests his freed-up time in bird-watching or spelunking. FUBeAR just ain’t that into laundry.
Bootie, Davemeister liked this
 #86514  by Sad Din
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:11 pm
Gamecocks leading scorer just enterred the Portal.

College sports as we know it is falling apart

Heading to minor league teams with contracts, drafts, etc.
palafan liked this
 #86515  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:42 pm
I wonder how this ends. When does the money run out? Always follow the money.

I read where every James Madison student is paying $5k/yr in additional tuition to support the massive $50m subsidy the University provides the JMU athletic dept. Wait. If tuition is funded via student loans, and student debt is going to be funded by the taxpayers, does that mean we are all now JMU supporters???? If so I at least want a sticker for the rear window of my EV.
FUBeAR, Bootie, gman84 liked this
 #86518  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm
FUBeAR just doesn’t ‘get’ the point of putting 12-15 young men on a basketball court, that may (or may not) be part-time Furman students, wearing purple & white with “FURMAN” proudly emblazoned across their chests, if we almost certainly know almost none of them intend to become Furman graduates. Add in that we had to outbid Grand Canyon State to get them to become (casual labor) Paladins for 1 or 2 years and then we had to try, but failed, to outbid Murray State to keep them from leaving.

Seems to FUBeAR, at that point, we’re really just cheering for (and paying for…some of us) our desired color of laundry to score more baskets than another set of differently colored laundry.

If that’s good enough for you, FUBeAR says ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and you enjoy being you.

FUBeAR is gonna decide if he invests his freed-up time in bird-watching or spelunking. FUBeAR just ain’t that into laundry.
My interest in college sports has really faded. My daughter has given me an excuse to go to Note Dame games, and it’s kinda had not to get up for that, but as for the rest of it, I’m just not that into it. I’ve been doing politics to fill my time. No caves around here.
FUBeAR liked this
 #86519  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:22 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:13 pm
As for Clemson, they will likely look at App State’s Dustin Kerns (Clemson grad) after the season they had!
This is truly odd to me. And not just because Clemson is NOW in the Sweet sixteen. Quite a Lofty space.

A week back when this post occurred CU was a lock for the NCAA as a 5-7 seed. And that happened. It was a given. Why would anyone let Brownell go after earning (given knowledge at the time of this post) a great seed in NCAA for a Football school ? Weird.

He hasn’t always had great teams but good teams with the occasional NCAA like this year. Just saying of ALL years to look for a new Clemson coach this is NOT IT. Clemson was clearly third best team in ACC after UNC and Duke for the duration of the year
 #86521  by jesse174
 Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:48 pm
Brcovic just entered the portal..College of Charleston....rumors that Pat Kelsey may be going to Louisville...but the coaching thing is just a rumor