• SoCon Landscape Next Year

#67087  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:40 am
UTC and UNCG will be fine. If any of these don’t come back they will just load up on transfers as usual.
Doubt either one will be very good next season, Dan Earl can't build that way, look at UTC this year, really bad once 1 player he brought from VMI got hurt.

Much rather be in our shoes where every year we have guys that have been in the system for awhile and are ready to step-up for a school they actually want to be at ;)

That is why we have been able to keep winning, while teams in the portal like ETSU, UTC, Wofftard are pretty bad these days. Transfers are not a way to be consistent with winning and that has been proven now.
 #67088  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:28 pm
Heck even Mercer and WCU have gotten loads of tranfers, yet both of those programs stink year in and year out.
 #67091  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:31 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:28 pm
Heck even Mercer and WCU have gotten loads of tranfers, yet both of those programs stink year in and year out.
Even Citadel starts 3 transfers.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67093  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:39 pm
Every now and then you get a flash in the pan like a Sammy who has a bunch of decent transfers this year, but those teams never stick around for long, they will be back at the bottom of the SoCon in a couple years, its just not a sustainable model, and only certain coaches can have success with it.
 #67106  by cavedweller2
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:57 pm
I think potentially we are better next year.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67107  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:01 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:20 pm
this year we saw a big leap forward from j p. next year i think it may be vanderlin.
Vanderwal, speaking of him have you noticed on his jersey the vander and wal or seperated? I assume that is a mistake?
 #67113  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:10 am
apaladin wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
this year we saw a big leap forward from j p. next year i think it may be vanderlin.
Vanderwal, speaking of him have you noticed on his jersey the vander and wal or seperated? I assume that is a mistake?
I just noticed that he uses an upper case w. It is VanderWal.
 #67117  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:46 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Every now and then you get a flash in the pan like a Sammy who has a bunch of decent transfers this year, but those teams never stick around for long, they will be back at the bottom of the SoCon in a couple years, its just not a sustainable model, and only certain coaches can have success with it.

I’m pretty convinced that in this new era long-term success is sustained by what Furman is doing in football and basketball - recruit high school kids, create a culture and program they are incentivized to stay in, and develop them.

I think this heavy reliance on the portal will eventually bite some of these schools in the rear when the right mix just isn’t available to them.
Roundball, furpop16, dornb liked this
 #67119  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:46 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

I’m pretty convinced that in this new era long-term success is sustained by what Furman is doing in football and basketball - recruit high school kids, create a culture and program they are incentivized to stay in, and develop them.

I think this heavy reliance on the portal will eventually bite some of these schools in the rear when the right mix just isn’t available to them.
I hope the culture that BR has built will keep him at Furman for a long time. Almost any larger school that might come after him is going to want instant success, which means the transfer portal. I hope we never go in that direction.
furpop16, dornb liked this
 #67120  by youwouldno
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:03 am
Though I'm not personally surprised, the fact is that the portal has clearly been a net positive for Furman (football and basketball). Though in basketball, Gurley leaving and Garrison arriving were both grad transfers, a policy which had long existed (Furman just lacked the grad programs to take advantage of it).

As for basketball next year, right now the depth at guard just isn't there. Without at least one guard transfer in, it's close to impossible that the team would be better next year, particularly with losing Slawson in the frontcourt, with defense already being the team's weakness.
Davemeister liked this
 #67125  by fupaladin01
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 am
apaladin wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
Not unusual as "Vander" or "Van der" translates "from the" and "Wal" signifies either a rampart or defensive wall, or in some cases, a shoreline or water barrier. So he's "Ben from-the-beach" essentially.

Other noteable examples are Dawson's Creek hearthrob James Van Der Beek (James of the creek), Smallville's stunning Supergirl Laura Vandervoort (Laura from the Ford) and Austin Powers' nemesis Goldmember aka "Johann van der Smut"... which I'll leave to your imagination.
 #67133  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:35 pm
My in-depth data and model analysis is projecting 30 wins next year for FU hoops ;)

#67136  by Davemeister
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:35 pm
My in-depth data and model analysis is projecting 30 wins next year for FU hoops ;)

Methinks you've been passing the pipe with Hunter.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.