• Bad PR But True

#294  by JoeyFreshwater
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 am
gman wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am
The atmosphere was pathetic tonight. There was very little marketing to help get butts in the seats. The band played a few songs, but there was no DJ and music. Even the introduction was different. Buddie let that one letter to the newspaper that no one reads get to him. It was Senior Night. Those players deserved a better atmosphere.
What are your marketing suggestions? The marketing has been much improved over the past several years and I'm sure Buddie and those responsible for this in the Athletic Department would welcome your feedback and $$$ on ways to improve. Tuesday night vs. last-place VMI is a tough sell for many.
 #295  by gman
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 am
Number one for last night would have been to give tickets to youth programs. Heck, give the tickets away. We could have offered 1,000 tickets for free last night just to get butts in the seats for this team.
 #296  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am
I used to support the idea of free tickets but have come around to the "people don't value what they get for free" line of thinking. Lots of the empty seats we had during the Wofford "sellout" (where we turned folks away at the door) were complementary tickets given to sponsors, etc...

Weeknight games are just a challenge for most mid-majors, although there are probably things we COULD do.
 #297  by Bootie
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:25 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am
I used to support the idea of free tickets but have come around to the "people don't value what they get for free" line of thinking. Lots of the empty seats we had during the Wofford "sellout" (where we turned folks away at the door) were complementary tickets given to sponsors, etc...

Weeknight games are just a challenge for most mid-majors, although there are probably things we COULD do.
If you offer to give tickets to a group that will bring a group of kids, they would organize it and not back out as individuals would do. Better to have some butts in seats than nothing.
 #303  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm
I don't have answers, sports marketing is not easy. Anyone that says it is has never done it, especially at a low-major, 2,700-student school. I haven't either, just for the record. I do know though that it's not as easy as giving away a TV at halftime.

Having said that, it often comes down to a few things ... if the university has a special place in the community, if the students care and if the team is good. If you can hit a home run on all three, you are probably going to have massive crowds.
 #76851  by KingPaladin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:22 pm
I think the music should be even louder!! We need to reset the culture
 #76853  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:23 pm
With the size of Timmons, we will most definitely be able to intimidate our opponents via their hearing!!
 #76855  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:30 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:22 pm
I think the music should be even louder!! We need to reset the culture
You had to bring back a 5 year old thread for this? :lol:
dornb liked this