• Expanding the SoCon

#90510  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:21 pm
Now FCS Sacramento State is apparently being mentioned by Sacramento-area sources as being a good candidate to move up to FBS in Mountain West or in PAC-12.
 #90517  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:12 am
Affirm wrote:
Now FCS Sacramento State is apparently being mentioned by Sacramento-area sources as being a good candidate to move up to FBS in Mountain West or in PAC-12.
That media market would make sense for FBS leagues as long as Sac St. is ready to upgrade facilities, etc....
 #90524  by Affirm
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:30 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:12 am
Affirm wrote:
The article I saw included some references to Sacramento-area business & financial interests pushing the plan to make it possible for Sacramento State. Sacramento & Reno are fairly close. If UNLV & Nevada-Reno are brought in together due to Nevada political & legislative pressure, then that (having Nevada-Reno) might make it even easier for Sacramento State to get moved up.

FU Hoopla wrote:
“That media market would make sense for FBS leagues as long as Sac St. is ready to upgrade facilities, etc....”
 #90526  by Affirm
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:43 am
USA Today article headline yesterday:
“PAC-12 Moving to Add Mountain West Schools Sets New Standard of Pointlessness”
 #90527  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:45 am
Affirm wrote:
Dumb headline, I don't see the pointlessness when money is involved lol...
 #90532  by Affirm
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:38 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Affirm wrote:
One argument in the article is that it’s just musical chairs and the net long-term dollars for the schools will be roughly equally. The new PAC -12 will not be a strong conference. Of course, I can see there would be a lot of extra money for the lawyers and their firms while things are being ironed out.
Or maybe you are one who thinks there’s some reality to the idea (covered in the article) that Clemson & Florida State will move to the new Pac-12 taking Cal & Stanford back there with them to join up with Ore State & Wash State & Boise & San Diego State & Fresno State & Colo State & who knows who else (Tulane, USAFA, UNLV, New Mexico, upgraded FCS schools????????) ????????
Money.
Enough?
Seems pointless and pointlessness may be fitting terms.
 #90535  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:43 pm
Affirm wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:38 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Affirm wrote:
One argument in the article is that it’s just musical chairs and the net long-term dollars for the schools will be roughly equally. The new PAC -12 will not be a strong conference. Of course, I can see there would be a lot of extra money for the lawyers and their firms while things are being ironed out.
Or maybe you are one who thinks there’s some reality to the idea (covered in the article) that Clemson & Florida State will move to the new Pac-12 taking Cal & Stanford back there with them to join up with Ore State & Wash State & Boise & San Diego State & Fresno State & Colo State & who knows who else (Tulane, USAFA, UNLV, New Mexico, upgraded FCS schools????????) ????????
Money.
Enough?
Seems pointless and pointlessness may be fitting terms.
Yes I do believe Stanford and Cal could eventually go back to Pac12 in a few years...
Also:
Does the Pac12 still have a current commissioner? Staff members, etc? I think the money in keeping a Pac12 is probably much more substantial for them...
Do Oregon St. and Washington St. think they are better off controlling what they can build in a new Pac12 instead of joining a league that already has a power structure in place? I am sure they do...
Does the Pac12 still have pretty good overall name recognition which has solid value? Due to its long history probably so...
Obviously the 4 Mountain West schools would not be leaving if it was not what they thought was in their best long term interests, I am sure they see serious value down the road for the new Pac12...

I expect a slow ripple effect to follow over the next couple years from these moves out West, but not really sure if it will reach the SoCon at some point...
 #90539  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:04 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:49 pm
The PAC12 has only six teams. They should rebrand themselves as the 6-PAC.
:lol: :lol:
Beverage companies would be fighting like crazy for sponsoring rights in that league!