• Expanding the SoCon

#89246  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:40 pm
Well it's about time we discussed growing the SoCon again lol :D

I would love to see 5 realistic additions of William & Mary, College Of Charleston, Elon, UNC Wilmington and Eastern Kentucky...

That would add 5 new hoops schools and 3 new football schools all well within the footprint of the SoCon and strengthen the league with a good mix of new private and state schools...
 #89252  by Sad Din
 Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:14 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:

I would love to see 5 realistic additions of William & Mary, College Of Charleston, Elon, UNC Wilmington and Eastern Kentucky...

That would add 5 new hoops schools and 3 new football schools all well within the footprint of the SoCon and strengthen the league with a good mix of new private and state schools...
definitly no to Elon. Others ok with SD
FU Hoopla liked this
 #89255  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:49 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:14 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:

definitly no to Elon. Others ok with SD

Sounds good, would bring the SoCon to 14 hoops schools and 11 of those with hoops and football
 #89260  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:09 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:41 pm
I'd be open to adding Davidson (if they wanted to add scholarship football), Belmont, or Richmond as well.
I definitely considered Davidson and Richmond, but think they consider A10 Basketball too important to them to leave for the SoCon...

I also considered Belmont but not sure they would want to join SoCon over MVC...

Basically all the schools I chose I am 99% sure we could actually get to join...
 #89295  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:23 pm
As long as no one leaves keep it as is. Currently we play everyone in football and everyone twice in basketball. That is perfect. Bigger is not always better.
Davemeister liked this
 #89300  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:23 pm
As long as no one leaves keep it as is. Currently we play everyone in football and everyone twice in basketball. That is perfect. Bigger is not always better.

Agree 100%, I was just looking at it from a sustainability side as those would be good additions to keep the league solid if anyone else does eventually leave, like maybe ETSU or UTC (both would be stupid to leave however)
 #89301  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:35 am
Are we all in agreement on if the league would add only 1 new school it should be W&M?
 #89307  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:58 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:21 am
Off the cuff, I'd trade UTC and ETSU for W&M and Richmond.....
Same, but Richmond will not pull hoops out of the A10...
 #90481  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:25 am
Not SoCon expansion but could have some trickle effect across the country (certainly will out West):

Boise State among 4 schools joining Pac-12 for 2026-27 season
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... oin-pac-12
Trickle down effect across the country possibly could include Mountain West bringing in the following:
Nevada-Reno (because of the state legislature pressure if UNLV and the Mountain West want to hook up but the legislature blocking that if the MWC will not bring in an upgraded (to FBS) Nevada-Reno also
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota
North Dakota
Montana State
Montana

Then ... some of the next dominoes might fall with subsequent moves involving schools in conferences including Missouri Valley Conference, United Athletic Conference, Big South Conference, and, yes, Southern Conference, etc.
 #90485  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:59 pm
Going from FCS to G5 is not very appealing without knowing what the rules will even be. Very unlikely to see a short term surge of western programs moving up.
 #90486  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:18 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:59 pm
Going from FCS to G5 is not very appealing without knowing what the rules will even be. Very unlikely to see a short term surge of western programs moving up.
Could be true...
All depends on the $$$ of course

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:55 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:35 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.