• Changes to NIT

#78784  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:58 pm
It's fairly simple really.........

The NCAA tourney can afford to keep small schools in it for the story lines because they still make tons of money..............

The NIT can't, they lose money these days.............
Paladin91 liked this
 #78827  by KingPaladin
 Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:15 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:54 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:19 pm
Bootie wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:30 pm
I’ve never understood why anybody cares about the NIT.
Its big for small schools like us!
NIT has already had to leave Madison Square Garden.................

UAB played North Texas for the NIT title last season, I am sure the NIT lost a lot of money last year, that's the only reason for making these changes now............
NIT was facing competition from potential Fox tournament that was more geared towards the P6 teams who dont make the NCAA, which is why they added so many extra P6 teams to keep them away from Fox
 #78903  by Affirm
 Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:50 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:02 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:04 pm
One day we will be in a better league than the lowly SoCon and this stuff won't matter quite as much ;)
It won’t matter it will be all bad teams from the P6 with few exceptions. Note the record doesn’t matter, just NET so losng teams will go to the NIT now. Note someone said they will be coming after the NCAA automatic bids next. Makes sense the P5/6 wants/needs all the money now to pay for all the idiotic realignment going on.
P5 teams refuse to give us regular season games, and now our chances to play in post-season appear threatened.
 #78922  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:28 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:36 am
“NIT decision ‘takes away’ from mid-major schools, CofC AD says.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 67f98.html
It would be interesting to see the financial numbers the NIT landed at last year, like if they lost enough money they really had no choice to make this move if it's truly the only way they can generate money. If that's indeed the case we can't really blame them if the only other alternative is to shut the whole thing down................
 #78975  by tim
 Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:26 am
Furman finished 88 in the net last year. I wonder if that would have qualified under the new format if no NCAA?
 #78981  by Paladin91
 Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:47 am
NIT cares only about big programs with fans that can travel - all about $. Business decision. Honestly, if the NCAA tournament does end up expanding, which I hope it doesn't, the NIT would be relegated as pretty worthless.
FU Hoopla liked this