• Greatest FU Basketball Player

#76020  by stonemd
 Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:37 pm
Compared to his contemporaries would have to be Selvy as he was #1 NBA pick.

You might think Slawson would win versus Selvy one on one.

I too think Slawson would win but you have to realize Selvy is 90 years old lol
 #76021  by FurmanFan23
 Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:39 pm
Prime Selvey I think would win against slawson but I do think slawson would give him a run for his money. Slawson is just that good of a defender
 #76035  by FurmAlum
 Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:22 pm
I would say

1. Selvy
2.Mayes
3.Slawson
4.Bothwell

Never saw Floyd so don't know how good he was. But I don't think its over yet. If either Slawson or Bothwell could crack the starting 5 on an NBA team and have a long productive career they could end up #1 if we are counting Pro career.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #76036  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:37 pm
Frank Selvy is the GOAT. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. The problem is most of us never saw him play. Not only did he lead the nation in scoring once but twice. He was on the cover of the 1955 ncaa basketball guide. 2 time all-american and still has the second highest ppg season average(41.7) second only to Pete Maravich. On top of that he was a 2 time NBA all-star. Now of the ones most of us have seen play, my vote is Jalen Slawson. Never seen any other FU player do the things he did as a player. His athleticism is unsurpassed. Been a lot of great ones but JS is my choice behind Selvy.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #76059  by paladinfan12
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:37 pm
Frank Selvy is the GOAT. Shouldn’t even be a discussion. The problem is most of us never saw him play. Not only did he lead the nation in scoring once but twice. He was on the cover of the 1955 ncaa basketball guide. 2 time all-american and still has the second highest ppg season average(41.7) second only to Pete Maravich. On top of that he was a 2 time NBA all-star. Now of the ones most of us have seen play, my vote is Jalen Slawson. Never seen any other FU player do the things he did as a player. His athleticism is unsurpassed. Been a lot of great ones but JS is my choice behind Selvy.
Agreed, I think the first year I watched Furman bball was '07. Slawson is the best I've seen. I would put Bothwell, Sibley, Saaka, and Acox as other the other 5 if we're going by the eye test. Croone, Rafferty, Lyons, Mounce, and Fowler were all also really good players I'd probably put on my next 5.