• Do what needs to be done

#69427  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 pm
With baseball being gone, my question is can we support and pay to have really really strong football and basketball teams?

I know money does not guarantee success in college sports but it certainly increases the chances. I think if hypothetically money was the difference I would give up football if we made the NCAA tourney in basketball most years OR I would give up basketball if we could make the football playoffs most years.

Amazing what Doug Allison would have accomplished in soccer over the years with more full scholarships etc.

It takes a special person in coaching not to follow the money and prestige to climb the ladder and be at bigger schools etc.
 #69433  by tim
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 am
They could do it. Get him anything cofc did for Kelsey. Will they? He is a great coach and builder of young men. But is he what the big schools want now? Seems to me most of them want someone to work the portal and buy players. I still can't get over choosing Lamont Paris over Bob Richey.
 #69434  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:08 am
There is already a fund to support Coach Richey and his staff. A good percentage of his salary is covered from individual contributions. Contact Erin Wissing (Erin.Wissing@Furman.edu or call her at 864-294-3732) if you are interested in making a contribution. FYI, there is also a fund to support Coach Richey for miscellaneous items, like feeding the team on the road, flying to games like VMI and Samford, etc. You can also contribute via the Roundball Club.

https://alumni.furman.edu/roundball-clu ... rship-form

I will add that the huge salaries that most of the coaches get are paid for from a combination of funds from the school and from supporters. For example, almost half of the $1 million salary paid to Kelsey is coming from private donations. The schools cannot afford the huge salaries alone.
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, Bootie, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #69437  by Kitchen_bg
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:38 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:08 am
There is already a fund to support Coach Richey and his staff. A good percentage of his salary is covered from individual contributions. Contact Erin Wissing (Erin.Wissing@Furman.edu or call her at 864-294-3732) if you are interested in making a contribution. FYI, there is also a fund to support Coach Richey for miscellaneous items, like feeding the team on the road, flying to games like VMI and Samford, etc. You can also contribute via the Roundball Club.

I will add that the huge salaries that most of the coaches get are paid for from a combination of funds from the school and from supporters. For example, almost half of the $1 million salary paid to Kelsey is coming from private donations. The schools cannot afford the huge salaries alone.
“For just twenty cents a day you can feed this hungry Bob Richey and his helpers..”

#69438  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:50 am
^ great post Roundball.

This is kinda a guess/based on some digging into other SoCon schools' BB salaries. The current high mark for SoCon BB salaries is around or close to the mid $300.

The A10 has several schools paying coaches over one mill, The Valley appears to top out around 800, and the CAA has CofC, and we know what Kelsey makes.

Furman faces some strategic questions about Basketball. Dr. Davis's comments at the selection show party IMO were very positive. I have hope that Furman won't just stand on the sideline and take a passive approach.
Roundball, gman84, dornb liked this
 #69448  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 am
Something else needs to be done. The Furman Board needs to do whatever it takes to keep Jason Donnelly. Thankfully President Elizabeth Davis knows this and is all in on Furman basketball.
dornb liked this
 #69451  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:58 am
Thorny wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:34 pm
I'm a football fan first and foremost but based on the response to Furman making the tournament and having one up-set...it would be dumb not to compensate our coach comparatively to Davidson.

The school, alumni, and community was hungry for that win in a BIG way.

/Isn't Furman on the lookout for an additional 10 million for renovating Timmons?

//I'm curious what 40 million in renovations can do to Timmons. 😅
Not necessarily dumb, but definitely unwise, to not compensate our basketball coach comparatively to Davidson and to CofC. Since July 2017, there have been 3 separate gifts of $1,000,000 each (x3 of them) to help the endowment Furman’s football program. A result of those has been the ability to enhance the football coach’s salary and call him the Bobby Johnson Endowed Head Football We need to have those sorts of gifts, and more, from high-dollar donors to the basketball program. It would surprise me if Davidson does not have that sort of support. Same with CofC.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #69452  by KingPaladin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:59 am
I don't see Richey leaving unless NOtre Dame stays open for longer and comes after him. the amount of jobs this offseason that would be worth the leap is very low
 #69454  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:16 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 pm
With baseball being gone, my question is can we support and pay to have really really strong football and basketball teams?

I know money does not guarantee success in college sports but it certainly increases the chances. I think if hypothetically money was the difference I would give up football if we made the NCAA tourney in basketball most years OR I would give up basketball if we could make the football playoffs most years.

Amazing what Doug Allison would have accomplished in soccer over the years with more full scholarships etc.

It takes a special person in coaching not to follow the money and prestige to climb the ladder and be at bigger schools etc.
Most regular readers will not be surprised to read this: affirm believes strongly that 1 basketball NCAA Tournament appearance is worth far more than 1 FCS playoff appearance, and that 1 basketball NCAA Tournament game win is worth exceedingly far more than 1 FCS playoff game win; and that with EACH additional win in NCAA Tournament basketball, the value to Furman compared to FCS football playoff game wins increases EXPONENTIALLY every single step of the way to, and including, the championship or any level below the championship. Of course, affirm realizes that many, many readers believes differently than affirm does. After all, this is the UFFP, not the UFBP.
 #69455  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:58 am
Thorny wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:34 pm
I'm a football fan first and foremost but based on the response to Furman making the tournament and having one up-set...it would be dumb not to compensate our coach comparatively to Davidson.

The school, alumni, and community was hungry for that win in a BIG way.

/Isn't Furman on the lookout for an additional 10 million for renovating Timmons?

//I'm curious what 40 million in renovations can do to Timmons. 😅
Not necessarily dumb, but definitely unwise, to not compensate our basketball coach comparatively to Davidson and to CofC. Since July 2017, there have been 3 separate gifts of $1,000,000 each (x3 of them) to help the endowment Furman’s football program. A result of those has been the ability to enhance the football coach’s salary and call him the Bobby Johnson Endowed Head Football We need to have those sorts of gifts, and more, from high-dollar donors to the basketball program. It would surprise me if Davidson does not have that sort of support. Same with CofC.
I posted this a couple of weeks ago in one of the threads. For reference to CofC. "CofC: Private donations to fund nearly half of Pat Kelsey’s new contract." https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... bbdde.html
 #69457  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 am
Monte Dutton on FUATT commented on CBR after Saturday's game:

"Bob Richey was still a man of joy in the post-mortem. He didn’t sound like a coach who was about to leave. That doesn’t mean he won’t. More than the mafia offers a man an offer he can’t refuse."

There is no way Furman can offer CBR more $$$ than he can get elsewhere. If he decides more money is what is most important to him and his family, then he leaves.

I hope he stays a while longer.
Last edited by Davemeister on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roundball liked this
 #69467  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 pm
Everybody knows the highest paid employees of theUniversity need to be the football and basketball coaches.
bj93 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.