• Charleston south. Scout

#89945  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:37 am
What do we know?

They lost on last second FG miss to Citadel so aren’t bad. Lost 22-21

Their QB IS EVERYTHING. senior. Ran for 40 Yds. Threw for 290!! On 20/25 passing. Sheesh that’s impressive. I mean we play Citadel annually and rarely have 20/25 type accuracy. That I know. Can’t recall the last time we hit for 80% ?passing

Since we know Citadel well there is some merit in the game stats.
Citadel CSU gained almost identical total yards.
Citadel gained 360. CSU gained 380
However, Citadel was able to run 50 times for about 200 yards. Roughly 4 yds per run.
Citadel threw 17 times for 10 completions for 170 yds. That’s 17 yards per completion!
CSU wasn’t quite as good running as they ran roughly 30 times for 90 yards. Only 3 yards per rush
CSU threw 25 times and completed 20 passes for 270 yards. That’s almost 14 yds per completion.

Really hope we can run the ball and keep our D off the field. 4+ yards per rush would be NICE and make feel better.
Go OL !!!

Fear is their QB looks very accurate and dangerous and is a senior .. 290 yards. 20/25. After tonight that scares me. Our DBs need to mature fast. We need to get QB pressure to help them.
FurmanATT liked this
 #89952  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:42 am
Watched some of their game this morning.

The QB, McCoy, is a grad transfer from Sacred Heart. I believe he's in his 6th season of eligibility.

They run a lot from the pistol formation. They ask the QB to make a lot of reads with option and RPO game. The ball is out quick. Pretty clear the offense really runs through McCoy.

They won't be a push over. Early season Big South opponents have, from time to time, given Furman fits. We struggled against them on the road a few years ago. We're going to have to play a lot better than we did last night.
 #89958  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:10 am
Any team with a good qb that can throw is going to be a problem for FU and that is pretty much everyone on the schedule. The two season ending injuries makes it even worse. I am afraid we are going to give up a lot of points this year. Hope I am wrong but we will be 1-3 entering the socon season,
 #89967  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Any team with a good qb that can throw is going to be a problem for FU and that is pretty much everyone on the schedule. The two season ending injuries makes it even worse. I am afraid we are going to give up a lot of points this year. Hope I am wrong but we will be 1-3 entering the socon season,
Maybe.

We have one game of information on this team, and they played arguably the toughest opponent Furman has ever faced. So, we don't really know much about how our pass defense will hold up.

To some degree, our defensive philosophy is to stop the run and force teams to throw it. Under Vaughn, we play a high pressure style that will leave us susceptible to big passing plays. That's schematic.

Last night wasn't good, but there are some silver linings:

1. We got some pressure. Three sacks and a number of TFLs. Pressuring the QB will help our pass defense. We won't see an offensive line like that one again.

2. We had five or so pass breakups. A couple of those were batted balls at the line of scrimmage that easily could have been turnovers. By comparison, our defense last season was credited with zero pass breakups against South Carolina.

3. Even on some of the deep downfield passes, our DBs are running right with guys. A few of their deep throws were well covered. FCS WRs are not likely going to run by us.
Flagman liked this
 #89969  by FU3
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:02 pm
“Hope I am wrong but we will be 1-3 entering the socon season”

This prediction makes me feel a little better. There is no one on this board who year in and year out is so wrong in their negative takes than apaladin. Narrator: He really didn’t want to be wrong about his prediction.
Roundball, DeepPurple liked this
 #89982  by tim
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:56 pm
We should be ok. Just looking at the stats, it looks like Cit made some halftime adjustments and shut them down after going down 14-3. Cit (0-11 last year) was able to throw on them, we should be able to also. May give up some through the air but keep from getting torched. CSU was home also
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #90000  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:04 am
The Jackal wrote:

The QB, McCoy, is a grad transfer from Sacred Heart. I believe he's in his 6th season of eligibility.

They run a lot from the pistol formation. They ask the QB to make a lot of reads with option and RPO game. The ball is out quick. Pretty clear the offense really runs through McCoy.

They won't be a push over. Early season Big South opponents have, from time to time, given Furman fits. We struggled against them on the road a few years ago. We're going to have to play a lot better than we did last night.
Jackal. Where did you watch their game. I can’t get the odd YouTube to play?

Please give me a URL link to click sir. I would very much like to watch some
 #90001  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Well, let’s just give up on our guys and move on to basketball. Wait, there is no hope for our basketball team either. Let’s just drop all sports at Furman.
 #90002  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:09 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:04 am
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal. Where did you watch their game. I can’t get the odd YouTube to play?

Please give me a URL link to click sir. I would very much like to watch some
ESPN app.
 #90003  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:27 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Well, let’s just give up on our guys and move on to basketball. Wait, there is no hope for our basketball team either. Let’s just drop all sports at Furman.

For me, I'm for letting the season play out and enjoying the ride.

Furman's coaches have set a standard. Our defense has been solid pretty much every year (I can't recall the last time we were weak on defense). We were out of our weightclass Saturday. I have full confidence that our coaches will get them back and get them right.
 #90007  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:40 am
Looking forward to beng in Paladin Stadium and findng out more about this team. Like Jackal said it might just be a good year to just enjoy the games and see what happens.
 #90016  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:40 am
Looking forward to beng in Paladin Stadium and findng out more about this team. Like Jackal said it might just be a good year to just enjoy the games and see what happens.

Life only gives you so many fall Saturdays to watch your team play. Might as well enjoy it.

It's not like we can go dip into the free agency pool to fill a spot on the roster. We can't trade for players at the deadline. The team we've got is the team we have.
apaladin liked this
 #90023  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:49 pm
I watched the first half of the game last night and I caught the last 6 mins or so Saturday night.

McCoy reminds me a little of Jack Chambers who was there when CSU was pretty tough a few years ago. He seems like a good player who made the right read a lot of times. It seemed like a lot of the success was against the zone. The one long pass they had was on a skinny post where I think the citadel safety just failed to pick him up but I couldn’t see the other side of the field so not sure if there was a vertical that was holding him more to the middle of the field. They have some talent at WR but it’s not even in the same ball park of what we just faced. Noah Jennings is supposed to be the guy on the outside but Chris Rhone (CCU transfer) looked pretty good as well. I think most of their success on the ground was with McCoy, but they did have a couple of nice option runs. I think they only average 2.9 yards per rush though. They have some size on the line in spots. The RT is a big boy at 6’6” 335.

On D, they played primarily out of a 4-2-5 I think. I feel like I saw a few 3 man fronts. They brought a lot of pressure. Especially from the nickel. I think they only had one sack but the citadel QB was able to avoid a few They have a couple of big guys in the middle. Citadel ran for 190 yards but it was off 49 rushes for a 3.9 average.

Just my very uneducated observations.

I’m excited to get out to Paladin Stadium and see this team against someone else from the FCS. I know some people are worried about the season, but I’m not there yet. May turn out to be a tough year, but if you take out the 2020 year, there has only been one year where Hendrix and Co have been worse than 6-2 in the conference. I think this team and the coaches have a earned a little more trust than I’m seeing on here so far. Looking forward to Saturday!
apaladin, dornb, FUATT liked this
 #90041  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:26 pm
Sorry, this is a long post with random thoughts/observations.

Was interested to see how many of the guys I noticed for CSU were transfers in this past class. Not as many as I might have though. McCoy, Rhone, and the slot WR were the only 3 I noticed.

While looking at all of that, I was curious what McCoy did at Sacred Heart. McCoy had his career best day against The Citadel. His previous passing yardage high was 202 yards. He's a career 56% passer. He was 105/194 for 1033 yards, 3 TDs and 5 INTs.

McCoy probably has better players around him at CSU which I'm sure helped with his career day. Is he going to be able to play to that level all year or is it more likely that he may see a little regression to his mean? The scheme certainly helped as well. Felt like CSU was able to put pressure on one part of the field and give McCoy the choice of two reads from what I can remember.

I couldn't find a depth chart for CSU (didn't look too hard), but I know they are playing a lot of sophomores at their skill positions. The 2 running backs and one of their outside WRs are all 2nd year guys.

Offense
QB: 6th year guy (27 games, not all starts)
RB: True Sophomore (11 games), RS FR (1 game)
OL: true freshman (1 game), true sophomore (11 games), RS sophomore (1 game), true JR (9 games), RS Junior (11 games)
TE: RS Jr (20 games)
WR: RS Jr (14 games), true sophomore (11 games). One of their transfers in the slot also played a lot and is at least a 3rd year guy.
Total Games (not necessarily starts): 107

Defense
DL: RS Sr (19 games WCU -reserve, 21 games at CSU), RS Sr (12 games, 4 game at CC) , true Sr (11 games CSU, 6 Albany St), Rs Jr (22 games)
LB: 2 true Sophomores (9 games and 7 games)
CB: 1 graduate (22 games - KY Wesleyan), 1 true sophomore (11 games)
S: RS sophomore (9 games), true sophomore (11 games)
Total Games (not necessarily starts): 164 games

It looks like CSU made the decision to start or play a lot of true freshman last year. 3 of the 4 DL starters are transfers. While they have a lot of games played, I'm not sure how many of those were starts (didn't seem like a lot from what I could tell).

Furman Offense
QB: RS sophomore - 3 games (2 starts)
RB: RS Jr - 19 games (0 starts)
OL: RS Fr - 2 games (1 start), RS Jr - 7 games (7 starts), RS Jr - 17 games (2 starts), RS Sr - 25 games (5 starts), RS So - 14 games (1 start)
TE: Graduate - 22 games (1 start)... Chappell - true SO 14 games (played a lot of snaps)
WR: True SR - 38 games (36 starts), True SO - 14 games (3 starts), RS FR - 1 game (1 start)
Total Games: 152 (59 starts)

Furman Defense
DL: True SR - 36 games (14 starts), RS SR - 33 games (5 starts), RS SO - 8 games (1 start) 77/20
BAN: RS SR - 44 games (27 starts)
LB: RS SR - 45 games (9 starts), RS JR - 8 games (3 starts)
Spur: GR - 32 games (21 starts)
CB: RS FR - 3 games (1 start), RS SO - 12 games (1 start)
S: True JR - 25 games (2 starts), RS SO - 1 game (1 start)
Total Games: 247 (85 starts)

Total Games: 271 vs 399

I have no idea if this means anything or not, but even though Furman has a lot of new starters you can see there are a lot of games played relative to CSU who had a lot of true freshman start last year and several upperclassmen transfers. Similarly, both teams are light on games at offensive line and cornerback.

The Citadel was able to get 3 sacks. I think Furman is going to be able to get pressure, the question will be if we can keep the QB contained while getting that pressure.

Citadel ran the ball ok, but I don't think they were able to get many chunk plays (like 4 10-19 yard runs on almost 50 attempts).

I think Furman is going to be able to take some shots downfield. Citadel had 10 yards/attempt which is pretty good. I think CSU will do what most teams have done for a year now, try to stop the run first. There is a chance you could see a little more pressure brought to try and speed Jones up since he's only making his 3rd start and isn't as mobile as Huff. This should give Jones some 1 on 1 chances. We need to hit those this year if we ever want to see some lighter boxes as we get into SoCon play.
apaladin, FUATT liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar What do we know about our team

by Paul C

Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:42 pm

User avatar No show ESPN+ ???

by MNORM

Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:26 pm

User avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by Flagman

Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:52 pm

User avatar Furman v Stetson

by apaladin

Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Default Avatar SOCON WEEK 3

by gofurman

Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.