• Safeties/Corners

#89488  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:00 pm
It doesn't look like either of the transfers are going to be starting to start the year. Perkins mentioned behind Moson and Ingram, but seems like 4-5 guys might play a lot until they get a good rotation. Tate listed as 2nd or 3rd at free safety depending on where Burrell plays. Tre McCloud will start at free safety if Burrell moves to the Spur.

So it looks like to start the year the line up will be:

CB: Moson
SS: Williams
FS: Burrell/McCloud
CB: Ingram

Outside of Moson, all of these guys have been in the program at least a couple of years. Williams has played a lot of football even if he doesn't have a ton of starts. Ingram has been in the program for a while so he's spent the last few years learning from some pretty good DBs. Moson was good enough to play as a true freshman in a lineup that featured a lot of good upperclassmen. Tells me he's probably pretty darn good.

Free safety is the biggest question mark to me. Burrell has played and the coaches seem to like him a lot. If he plays Spur though, McCloud is a complete unknown since he's fought injuries his first few years in the program.

I generally believe this group is going to be better than most people believe. Hopefully Jackson, Stephans, and Harrison/Bussey can make their lives easier by getting a lot of pressure.
 #89493  by Afurmanfan
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:23 pm
This is a very talented group. I think one of the most talented two deep we have had a in a while. Having been a DB, I remember my first few starts were not anything to write home about. But it will slow down for them a lot after the first couple of games. These boys will be just fine.
Choir Boy, din23 liked this
 #89500  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:31 pm
The article mentions Perkins having experience as a nickel corner.

It could be that Furman may have some sets with three safeties on the field and then other with three CBs. The "SPUR" position may just be more a name this year as opposed to an actual position. Mercer was (maybe still is) a pretty good defense running a majority of their defensive sets with three safeties.
 #89501  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:42 pm
Worth remembering that most of the talented guys we lost to graduation also started/played extensively as freshmen.

I believe a lot of these guys would already have been starting without the extra covid eligibility offered to a few of our guys from last year.
 #89502  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:31 pm
The article mentions Perkins having experience as a nickel corner.

It could be that Furman may have some sets with three safeties on the field and then other with three CBs. The "SPUR" position may just be more a name this year as opposed to an actual position. Mercer was (maybe still is) a pretty good defense running a majority of their defensive sets with three safeties.
True - Bears D was 4-2-5 base and would occasionally go to 3-3-5, but pretty much 5 DB’s except might sub in a DLman on GL/Short Yardage.

Think they started liking that alignment when they pretty much played 100% MAN with CB’s on Samford’s outside WR’s and 3-Deep zone with the 3 Safeties. Seemed to minimize those Samford guys that always seem to end up totally uncovered somehow.

No idea going forward. DC is now HC @ West Georgia.

On FU, if Secondary steps up quickly and plays to the potential FUBeAR has heard they have AND if the QB Play is above average or better, this is a solid Playoff Team. Ole Miss’ O and speed on D will be a great test and a great learning experience.
 #89503  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:03 pm
On a positive note, we're going to see the best we're going to see in terms of attacking the defensive backfield in the first game.
 #89513  by Davemeister
 Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:01 am
This group's Baptism is scheduled to take place on August 31. Let us pray that souls will be saved that evening.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89517  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:11 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:01 am
This group's Baptism is scheduled to take place on August 31. Let us pray that souls will be saved that evening.
Yep…

Did see on a message board that they have multiple injuries to their WR’s. Didn’t drill down as to who, how bad…just gonna take it as they may have some dudes that aren’t 100% and FUBeAR is OK wit dat.

Remember - the A4 Players are all Professional Athletes now.

No longer is it, “Aw….poor kid.”

It’s now, “Wonder if my ‘investment advisor’ has any inside info on these injuries and how can I leverage that to try to make some kwan off the game, as the Professional Athletes on the field will be doing.”
Davemeister liked this
 #89519  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:45 pm
I was originally not thrilled with playing Ole Miss. Not that I dislike the FBS opponent, just a tough hombre.

However, the closer we get, I think it'll help us. Our first SoCon game is Samford. I would imagine that Chris Hatcher would love for our young DBs not to have a game's worth of experience against a fast-paced throw it all over the yard offense to get things ironed out.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89530  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:09 am
I'm excited for the new guards' time…
There is a lot of talent ready to earn their stripes.
Moson was a highly recruited player - he had over 20 FBS offers.
Time to see what these men can do!
gman84, FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker liked this
 #89532  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:45 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:09 am
I'm excited for the new guards' time…
There is a lot of talent ready to earn their stripes.
Moson was a highly recruited player - he had over 20 FBS offers.
Time to see what these men can do!
Exactly FUBeAR’s sentiments - was just discussing this via text with a parent of one of the old, departed ‘guard.’ We were both saying how excited we are to see the young bucks assume the mantle.

Reminds FUBeAR of how things were back in his day. The old dogs were extremely excited to see the newer kids step up & take their spots upon the completion of their own careers, knowing they had led & Coached (Players, in the right culture, are the most meaningful Coaches) them well AND knowing the new crop of Paladins was always, athletically, more talented than they had been.

Can’t wait - the young ones have learned a lot from the abundant leadership they have had. They will have the opportunity to learn a bit more in Oxford, and we’ll get to see how well they can really apply their knowledge when we get into the SoCon schedule.

VERY EXCITING!!!
FUwolfpacker liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:55 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:35 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.