• Changing times ...

#87920  by Thorny
 Thu May 30, 2024 1:08 am
I have trouble imagining what college athletics will look like in five years.

Hard to say that kids shouldn't be able to transfer without penalty, hard to say the kids don't deserve the money, etc. However, whatever these kids are, calling them students doesn't seem appropriate anymore.
Stumpy liked this
 #87924  by cavedweller2
 Thu May 30, 2024 9:19 am
Attending class will no longer be required. GPA's replaced by CPA's.
 #87925  by Flagman
 Thu May 30, 2024 11:12 am
If athletes are considered employees, shouldn't they have to pay taxes on their scholarships (salaries)? Are they currently required to pay taxes on their NIL money?
 #87926  by Paul C
 Thu May 30, 2024 11:19 am
I’m sure NIL $ are considered taxable income.
 #87927  by Roundball
 Thu May 30, 2024 12:13 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 11:12 am
If athletes are considered employees, shouldn't they have to pay taxes on their scholarships (salaries)? Are they currently required to pay taxes on their NIL money?
Yes. They will receive a 1099-NEC, with the income taxable at the self-employed rate of 15.3%. A smart athlete should hire a good accountant that will find ways to offset the income.
Choir Boy liked this
 #87928  by apaladin
 Thu May 30, 2024 3:21 pm
With this new agreement it is my understanding that they will not be employees so no taxes. Not sure but think the money will be tied to the scholarship as a benefit like food and housing. Could be wrong. Classes are already optional at some schools, coming next will be no limits on eligibility.
 #87930  by palafan
 Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 pm
Thorny wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 1:08 am
I have trouble imagining what college athletics will look like in five years.

Hard to say that kids shouldn't be able to transfer without penalty, hard to say the kids don't deserve the money, etc. However, whatever these kids are, calling them students doesn't seem appropriate anymore.
Disagree. Accepting a scholarship to attend school for free should be treated like a contract. Endless transfers should not be allowed. I get that sometimes you get somewhere and realize its not for you, so maybe a one time transfer. The free tuition, room and board is your NIL pay.
 #87953  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:55 am
What happens when the courts rule players do not have to attend class and eligibility cannot be limited?
 #87958  by Davemeister
 Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:16 am
apaladin wrote:
What happens when the courts rule players do not have to attend class and eligibility cannot be limited?

Then it is no longer College Sports.
 #87959  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:08 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:16 am
apaladin wrote:

Then it is no longer College Sports.
Agree and that is where it will end I’m afraid.
Choir Boy liked this
 #87962  by Stosh
 Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:25 pm
The future (actually much of the present) is mercenaries who represent schools, in place of students who are participants in the educational mission of schools.
 #87969  by sluggo
 Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:29 pm
Stosh wrote:
The future (actually much of the present) is mercenaries who represent schools, in place of students who are participants in the educational mission of schools.
That's hard for me to read given that I was a math and computer science tutor for 3 years, while completing ROTC and serving as a army 2nd lieutenant in my junior year.
It's a stereotype; show me the evidence that they are ALL lazy and don't go to class.
 #87970  by sluggo
 Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
:roll:
 #87971  by Thorny
 Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:44 am
sluggo wrote:
Stosh wrote:
That's hard for me to read given that I was a math and computer science tutor for 3 years, while completing ROTC and serving as a army 2nd lieutenant in my junior year.
It's a stereotype; show me the evidence that they are ALL lazy and don't go to class.
It's not the students I am worried about. I'm sure we expect the FSU's, Florida, and Alabama's of the world to have players that are a bit less focused on academics and more focused on going pro.

However, Furman is already having students graduate high school early so they can attend spring practice and fans are discussing adding graduate programs to help Furman be more competitive in attracting transfers. For better or worse, this what it takes to be competitive at the FCS level and signal to prospective players that we take football seriously.

Part of my concern is that, in an effort to facilitate attracting transfer students, I expect within the next few years having a degree from an academic institution will not have the same implications that it once did. Historically, some credits didn't transfer, there were specific class requirements for majors, and a degree from a university meant you spent more than a calendar year there. Where we are going may include players graduating with a degree while only spending one semester at a University and their class in puppeteering counting as organic chemistry for their BS in biology as that is what it will take to compete at the FCS level and signal to prospective players that we take football seriously.

Recent Topics

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:55 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.