• Trying to be funny about Frisco

#83890  by rangab
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:08 pm
Justice has been served ! Can't stand their fans and their cheating team that mugged our receivers and kick coverage team in order to beat us.Hope they enjoy their trip back to the hills.
Sad Din, Choir Boy, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #83893  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:40 pm
Nice article. Regarding FCS as a great place for original nicknames, you are correct. However, you listed Terriers as an “original” nickname, which it is NOT. At least 2 other NCAA Division 1 schools are the Terriers. I do not know when Wofford became Terriers (perhaps in the 1920’s), but D1 Boston University has been officially the Terriers since 1922, long before at least the year when Wofford became D1. BU’s Terrier’s name is Rhett from Gone With the Wind because the school color is Scarlet. “No one loves Scarlet more than Rhett..” In 1922, BU students voted for Terriers as the school mascot over a moose.
 #83897  by FUTex
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:14 pm
affirm wrote:
Nice article. Regarding FCS as a great place for original nicknames, you are correct. However, you listed Terriers as an “original” nickname, which it is NOT. At least 2 other NCAA Division 1 schools are the Terriers. I do not know when Wofford became Terriers (perhaps in the 1920’s), but D1 Boston University has been officially the Terriers since 1922, long before at least the year when Wofford became D1. BU’s Terrier’s name is Rhett from Gone With the Wind because the school color is Scarlet. “No one loves Scarlet more than Rhett..” In 1922, BU students voted for Terriers as the school mascot over a moose.
According to my dad, who played for Wofford before he was called in his sophomore year to save Korea from communism and is the reason you aren't speaking Chinese now, Wofford has been called the Terriers since 1914, thus predating Boston University's copy-catmanship. Conclusion: Wofford is the original Terrier, we were saved from those godless communist bastages, and Boston University needs to get off my lawn.
FurmanATT liked this
 #83900  by FurmanATT
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:14 pm
affirm wrote:
I didn't mean it to be taken quite so literally. At least not the word "original." I saw BU play Furman in the football playoffs. Of course, I could've mentioned Catamounts, which shares with Vermont. -- MD
 #83903  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:37 pm
Boston University (MA) Terriers
Hiram (OH) Terriers
St Francis (NY) Terriers
Thomas (ME) Terriers
Wofford (SC) Terriers

* Hiram & Thomas are D3
* Hiram has Football. Only other Football Terriers besides Wofford.
* St. Francis (NY) is D1, but no Football. In same conference (NEC) as St. Francis (PA), which does have FCS Football, but are the Red Flash; not Terriers. They are the only Red Flash.*
* Though their Teams are known as Tartans, Carnegie Mellon’s mascot is the Scottish Terrier (similar to, but not quite like Toto)

Not THAT Toto…this one…
Toto was a Cairn Terrier. FUBeAR is not aware of any School specifically using the Cairn Terrier as its mascot. Cairn terriers originated in the Scottish Highlands and the Isle of Skye, initially grouped in the "Skye Terrier" class alongside the Scottish and West Highland White Terriers. From the early 1900s, the three were bred separately though. The Kennel Club of the United Kingdom gave the Cairn Terrier a separate register in 1912; the first year of recognition, 134 were registered, and the breed was given Championship status. “The Wizard of Oz” went into production in 1938; well after the 1912 recognition of the Cairn Terrier as a separate breed from the Scottish Terrier.

*Red Flash may (or may not) be an allusion to the work Tex’s Dad did as a behind-enemy-lines demolitions raider in North Korea. He doesn’t like to talk about it.
 #83910  by FUTex
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:05 am
Excellent research FuBear. We are better for it.

The BU Furman game was in 1983. We won that one. BU dropped football in 1999. The official reason was a recurrent budget shortfall, but some suspect Title IX. The real reason was they never recovered from the pounding the Paladins gave them.

I love the cairn terrier. Its a cute littler feller. Speaking of cute, I've always had a thing for Dorothy. I bet she smells like pie.

Oglethorpe University are the "Stormy Petrals". Thats the best. Alas, no football there. The best football team names, by executive decree, are Blue Hose and Blue Hens. The worst is Tigers - an embarrassing lack of imagination and forethought.
 #83918  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:42 am
I dislike ever having to concede in any attempt to be one up on Wofford in anything.
Nevertheless, I concede.
I could continue to argue about Wofford not being as good of a college overall as Boston University, and about Wofford being a late comer to Division I compared to Boston University, and about BU being in FCS long before Wofford, etc.
But if the 1914 claim is correct, I may have to agree about the word "original".
On the other hand, the mascot "Terriers" is not unique to Wofford, as has been shown in this thread. But Monte did use the word "original" instead of "unique".
Again, I concede. I know and respect many good Wofford people, and many of them are friends.
May Furman continue to try to surpass Wofford in any and all ways possible.
Furman, established 1826
Boston Univ, established 1839
Wofford, established 1854
Go Furman.
Beat Wofford.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FUBeAR, FurmanATT liked this
 #83919  by Davemeister
"God, I’ll miss that team. Furman could be good next year, but it’s not going to be as stable in its excellence, Wofford notwithstanding."
"Clay Hendrix and his staff have major rebuilding to do."

I hope MD doesn't get cancelled for using the "R" word.
 #83920  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:05 pm
affirm wrote:
I dislike ever having to concede in any attempt to be one up on Wofford in anything.
Nevertheless, I concede.
I could continue to argue about Wofford not being as good of a college overall as Boston University, and about Wofford being a late comer to Division I compared to Boston University, and about BU being in FCS long before Wofford, etc.
But if the 1914 claim is correct, I may have to agree about the word "original".
On the other hand, the mascot "Terriers" is not unique to Wofford, as has been shown in this thread. But Monte did use the word "original" instead of "unique".

Again, I concede. I know and respect many good Wofford people, and many of them are friends.
May Furman continue to try to surpass Wofford in any and all ways possible.
Go Furman.
Beat Wofford.
Stream of consciousness.
FUBeAR also considered parsing the meaning & in-context usage of the word “original” vis a vis “unique” in his response to this critical issue, but Dorothy does smell like pie. Had to go the pie track instead.

And using a video entitled “Africa” in a post qualifies the poster for a remedial CLP credit. FUBeAR just may get all those knocked out if Stumpy can keep the “General Error” wolves away from the door long enough.
 #83921  by Stumpy
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
if Stumpy can keep the “General Error” wolves away from the door long enough.
I think something's been going on with my host over the last month. The "too many connections" error indicates a problem with memory or drive space, and there's nothing I can do about that.
 #83923  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:23 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
if Stumpy can keep the “General Error” wolves away from the door long enough.
I think something's been going on with my host over the last month. The "too many connections" error indicates a problem with memory or drive space, and there's nothing I can do about that.
Tell it to FUBeAR’s Advisor. Will never understand how FU was able to get the IRS to attach liens based on CLP debts owed.
FurmanATT liked this
 #83931  by FUTex
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:46 pm
We need a ruling on this. Should affirm concede or not?

I don't think affirm should concede on the point of Wofford's nickname being original. Wofford was the original Terrier, but it is no longer an original name. Besides, we shouldn't take 1914 being the start date of Terrier for Wofford from a man who claims to have taken out a whole company of commies with nothing but a can opener and tube of chapstick.

The pinafore and pigtail look was great for Judy Garland. Alas, she did not age well. Lifestyle choices are important.

Go Furman
Beat Wofford

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.