• West Georgia

#84030  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:25 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am
Another Cronic thought.

He probably did Mercer a favor by resigning after the portal closed and spring classes started. So, new Mercer coach won’t have to contend with a lot of defections.
“Per NCAA rules, the transfer portal reopens for 30 days when a coach leaves the program.”

Portal reopens for Mercer Players until February 8th-ish.

* Mercer’s 2023 HC is now at Navy
* Mercer’s 2023 DC/LB Coach is now HC at West Georgia
* Mercer’s 2023 OC/OL Coach was terminated at end of season
* Mercer’s 2023 DB/Safeties Coach is now DC at West Georgia

They have PLENTY to contend with…
Nevermind then. Not great.
 #84041  by Davemeister
 Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:59 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 am
Someone remind me. Why is there a West Georgia thread in the Furman football forum?

Same reason there's a thread about the Mercer HC job.
 #84123  by gofurman
 Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Another Cronic thought.

He probably did Mercer a favor by resigning after the portal closed and spring classes started. So, new Mercer coach won’t have to contend with a lot of defections.
Per NCAA rules, the transfer portal reopens for 30 days when a coach leaves the program.”

Ouch. Was unaware of this. But that is a rare example that I can get behind. If a coach can leave right as portal closes the kids should have the same - Shouldn’t have coach leave soon after portal closes and now kids are stuck playing for a coach that didn’t recruit them
 #84125  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:01 am
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Another Cronic thought.

Per NCAA rules, the transfer portal reopens for 30 days when a coach leaves the program.”

Ouch. Was unaware of this. But that is a rare example that I can get behind. If a coach can leave right as portal closes the kids should have the same - Shouldn’t have coach leave soon after portal closes and now kids are stuck playing for a coach that didn’t recruit them
Yes - Coach Baker recruited FUBeAR, who signed in February. Then Coach Baker left, within just a week or 2 (IFBRC) to take the HC job at The Citadel. To make matters worse, the OL Coach, who was FUBeAR’s 1st FU contact and a big part of the recruiting process, Eddie Williamson, left in early April to take the OL Coaching job at Duke.

Just imagine how awful it would have been if FUBeAR had been forced by the NCAA to honor the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Furman University. He could have had to play his whole college career under Head Coach Dick Sheridan and Offensive Line Coach Robbie Caldwell.

Whew … dodged a bullet!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dornb liked this
 #84135  by Davemeister
 Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 am
Just imagine how awful it would have been if FUBeAR had followed Coach Baker to The Citadel.
FUBeAR, dornb, MNORM liked this
 #84216  by gofurman
 Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Another Cronic thought.

Yes - Coach Baker recruited FUBeAR, who signed in February. Then Coach Baker left, within just a week or 2 (IFBRC) to take the HC job at The Citadel. To make matters worse, the OL Coach, who was FUBeAR’s 1st FU contact and a big part of the recruiting process, Eddie Williamson, left in early April to take the OL Coaching job at Duke.

Just imagine how awful it would have been if FUBeAR had been forced by the NCAA to honor the National Letter of Intent he signed to attend Furman University. He could have had to play his whole college career under Head Coach Dick Sheridan and Offensive Line Coach Robbie Caldwell.

Whew … dodged a bullet!
FUBeAR. . I am super glad you played for us. truly.

But in aggregate it wouldn’t be right if coaches could recruit a kid and leave on Wednesday and at midnight that same day the kid finds out and he can’t leave also. Many people come to play for a connection they developed with a coach etc during recruiting. Either both coach and player should have to stay or both can leave.

Portal etc stinks but in this example (and if a family member is LEGITIMATELY ill etc) let a kid transfer.

I am aware that “illness’ clause was abused but in legitimate examples - mom gets cancer etc … who am I to say said athlete must continue to play at Furman when his mom is in Illinois or wherever. Let him do what is best for his family and transfer to SIU etc
 #84217  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:05 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Another Cronic thought.

Whew … dodged a bullet!
FUBeAR. . I am super glad you played for us. truly.

But in aggregate it wouldn’t be right if coaches could recruit a kid and leave on Wednesday and at midnight that same day the kid finds out and he can’t leave also. Many people come to play for a connection they developed with a coach etc during recruiting. Either both coach and player should have to stay or both can leave.

Portal etc stinks but in this example (and if a family member is LEGITIMATELY ill etc) let a kid transfer.

I am aware that “illness’ clause was abused but in legitimate examples - mom gets cancer etc … who am I to say said athlete must continue to play at Furman when his mom is in Illinois or wherever. Let him do what is best for his family and transfer to SIU etc
Your opinion is quite popular in our present society.

Neither Coach Baker’s nor Coach Williamson’s names were on the National Letter of Intent which FUBeAR signed. Furman University was explicitly denoted on that document.

FUBeAR’s Head Football Coach in the 10th grade retired from Football Coaching and just became the AD / Driver’s Ed Teacher / School Bus Driver Wrangler during FUBeAR’s Jr. and Sr. years. FUBeAR had a new / different Head Coach for his final 2 years of High School. He was prepared for the changes with Coach Baker and Coach Williamson that occurred after he signed with Furman University.

FUBeAR has had frequent occasions in his professional career when his immediate and next level up supervisors moved on to different companies or different roles or were promoted or fired. FUBeAR was prepared to deal with these transitions.

FUBeAR used to work for a company that was involved with encouraging & facilitating companies to hire college student athletes. This company highlighted that college student athletes were much more prepared to deal with overcoming adversity, coping with change, and generally having ingrained many traits within themselves that were highly desireable in the working world. FUBeAR is not sure if he could, in good conscience, ‘sell’ that concept today.

But…your opinion is quite popular in our present society.
Bootie liked this
 #84219  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 am
I think that 1 free transfer is ok. After that the transferring individual has to sit a year if they transfer again regardless of the situation. Back to 5 years to complete 4. Also academics “should” be considered. I fear the numbers of young people commenced from college these days that are actually woefully unprepared for the world is increasing exponentially. Too many selfish egos and devils on their shoulders feeding the BS about their greatness. I think it was Lou Holtz who said when he got into coaching athletes talked about their obligations and responsibilities now they talk about rights and entitlements. Or something to that point.
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #84220  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:26 am
https://footballscoop.com/news/justice ... les-portal

Justice Department joins lawsuit against NCAA over transfer rules

The US Justice Department on Thursday joined 10 states and the District of Columbia in their ongoing civil antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA for the enforcement of its lightest transfer restrictions.

The move comes one month after a US District Judge ruled in favor of seven states suing the NCAA, arguing that the rule against two-time undergraduate transfers was a violation of antitrust law and unduly stringent on athletes and "likely" violated Section 1 of the Sherman Act.

The NCAA responded by releasing a memo saying that multi-time transfers could play immediately in 2024, leading to a flurry of new Portal activity in late December and early January. The NCAA has said it might raise the eligibility requirements for multi-time transfers, and the AFCA said it would support such a move earlier this month.

If that comes to pass, I would honestly expect the states to then argue that the NCAA isn't allowed to enforce any eligibility rules, and the courts to rule in their favor.

…and so it goes…
 #84258  by Thorny
 Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote: https://footballscoop.com/news/justice ... les-portal

Justice Department joins lawsuit against NCAA over transfer rules

The US Justice Department on Thursday joined 10 states and the District of Columbia in their ongoing civil antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA for the enforcement of its lightest transfer restrictions.

The move comes one month after a US District Judge ruled in favor of seven states suing the NCAA, arguing that the rule against two-time undergraduate transfers was a violation of antitrust law and unduly stringent on athletes and "likely" violated Section 1 of the Sherman Act.

The NCAA responded by releasing a memo saying that multi-time transfers could play immediately in 2024, leading to a flurry of new Portal activity in late December and early January. The NCAA has said it might raise the eligibility requirements for multi-time transfers, and the AFCA said it would support such a move earlier this month.

If that comes to pass, I would honestly expect the states to then argue that the NCAA isn't allowed to enforce any eligibility rules, and the courts to rule in their favor.

…and so it goes…
Legally, I think that makes sense.

However, I have no idea why multiple states and the justice department want to destroy college athletics as we know it.
 #84285  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:06 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 am
I think that 1 free transfer is ok.. After that the transferring individual has to sit a year if they transfer again regardless of the situation. Back to 5 years to complete 4. Also academics “should” be considered. I fear the numbers of young people commenced from college these days that are actually woefully unprepared for the world is increasing exponentially. Too many selfish egos and devils on their shoulders feeding the BS about their greatness. I think it was Lou Holtz who said when he got into coaching athletes talked about their obligations and responsibilities now they talk about rights and entitlements. Or something to that point.
Odd that FUBeAR would “like” this post ( post 84219 above ) of allowing one free transfer after just arguing he and others should stay with the original school, no? LOL

I agree. We should allow ONE transfer. Coach change. Family illness or situation. Whatever. Give em one. Also agree they should have to sit a year if they want to transfer twice. I realize that problems can still occur. Coach leaves you transfer. That’s one. Then mom gets cancer - do they still require you to sit a year on that type …

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.