• 2024 Signing Period

#83387  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:33 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:04 am
O'Dell would be the tallest guy in program history if not for Big Fred.
This Oxford Asian and Middle Eastern Studies Faculty Member (PhD in Hebrew and Jewish Studies, University of Oxford, Christ Church College, in progress; Master of Theology, Old Testament Studies, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2018; Master of Divinity, Christian Ministry, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2016; BS, Health and Exercise Science, Furman University, 2008)…

…says, “Hold my mace,” …
… as he steps upon the virtual stadiometer.

* 2012 - Edmonton Eskimos
* 2011 - Las Vegas Locomotives
* 2009–2011 - Saskatchewan Roughriders
* 2009 - Buffalo Bills
* All-American FCS, Associated Press, Land Sports Network (2008)
* Jacobs Blocking Trophy (2008)
* College Sporting News FCS Fabulous 50 Team (2008)
* 2× First-team All-SoCon (2007, 2008)
 #83390  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:24 am
A note on Hedden's size: on the press release, Hedden is listed at 6-3 220. That's a big QB. Matt Sluka (Holy Cross) is 6-3 216. Concerning Hedden's running ability, as a junior was a region finalist running the 400m hurdles and the 800 relay.
MNORM, Bootie liked this
 #83391  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:38 am
I can't verify, but based on some digging, I think Max Eubanks is a PWO. That is a pretty impressive get for a PWO if so.
 #83434  by paladinfan12
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:33 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:04 am
O'Dell would be the tallest guy in program history if not for Big Fred.
This Oxford Asian and Middle Eastern Studies Faculty Member (PhD in Hebrew and Jewish Studies, University of Oxford, Christ Church College, in progress; Master of Theology, Old Testament Studies, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2018; Master of Divinity, Christian Ministry, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2016; BS, Health and Exercise Science, Furman University, 2008)…

…says, “Hold my mace,” …
… as he steps upon the virtual stadiometer.

* 2012 - Edmonton Eskimos
* 2011 - Las Vegas Locomotives
* 2009–2011 - Saskatchewan Roughriders
* 2009 - Buffalo Bills
* All-American FCS, Associated Press, Land Sports Network (2008)
* Jacobs Blocking Trophy (2008)
* College Sporting News FCS Fabulous 50 Team (2008)
* 2× First-team All-SoCon (2007, 2008)
This guy was a head taller than everyone on the field when he played.
FUBeAR liked this
 #83462  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:20 am
If you haven't listened to these podcast interviews, you should… impressive young men.
It speaks to what type of school Furman is and how our coaching staff walks the talk.
We shouldn't take it lightly that they chose Furman cause they could have gone to, as Tery Heddedn said, "the bigger logo school."

As someone who enjoys watching the recruiting process from my chair… this stuff is as addicting as candy.

A couple of things hit me;
Kanuber is going to be a warrior in the trenches.

Hedden appears to be the complete package: a humble yet talented player who wants to be pushed and get better. Plus you get a good idea what type of QB he wants to be. Leadership like Brady, the ability to throw passes from all angles like Mahoms, and the physicality of Josh Allen.

Varvel is going to be a mismatch weapon. On film, you get an idea of his size advantage and down-field speed. What I didn't take into account is that he's an Arizona state hurdler champion. He's got hops.
gman84, FUwolfpacker liked this
 #83468  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 pm
I think Furman is doing a good job in putting guys in the program that are going to help us.

No science behind this, but regardless of who is the QB this season, he should have as much talent at pass catcher as any QB in program history.

I'd love to see our offense really get to the spot where we can truly threaten defenses with the passing attack. That part of the offense just hasn't seemed to quite click yet. I really like what we have coming up in terms of ability to throw, catch, and run.
bj93, Jasper liked this
 #83469  by Davemeister
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:09 pm
Yeah, some of the best O we saw all year was the first half vs VMI. CJ was firing laser-guided missiles into the Keydet defense. Need to get that going again.
bj93 liked this
 #83472  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:53 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:09 pm
Yeah, some of the best O we saw all year was the first half vs VMI. CJ was firing laser-guided missiles into the Keydet defense. Need to get that going again.
There was a lot to like in the VMI game, especially against a decent defense.

In that game, I thought we saw a little bit of what our offense may look like going forward. A nice run/pass balance but a bit more lethal passing game than we've seen. The ball was distributed efficiently to a bunch of different receivers. The defense really couldn't eliminate anything we were doing.
Jasper liked this
 #83478  by Paladin91
 Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:09 pm
I’ve seen Hedden play at Tampa Catholic, as I have a relative that plays Volleyball there. I have no doubt that Hedden will be the starting QB in the fall. He’s a competitor and that good.
 #83482  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 pm
I think Furman is doing a good job in putting guys in the program that are going to help us.

No science behind this, but regardless of who is the QB this season, he should have as much talent at pass catcher as any QB in program history.

I'd love to see our offense really get to the spot where we can truly threaten defenses with the passing attack. That part of the offense just hasn't seemed to quite click yet. I really like what we have coming up in terms of ability to throw, catch, and run.
DaveMeister makes a good point with the vmi game. That one stands out with a Completely different complexion than the other games. Completely. Look I love the win over western and teams where we can play bully ball. That’s my favorite. Run 5 yards per carry like Air Force …. As old OL will tell you they LOVE to yell “we are running the ball this play” and then we run for 6 yards. Beautiful. Game winning clock eating drives. But we can’t do that to Montana etc … there comes a time that we need mix of run pass. Even 60/40 or 70/30.

For all the other reasons …. Just complete five more passes or so versus Wofford or Montana and we are still playing. We have to able to truly threaten both. Captain obvious I know but Air Force isn’t going to beat you in the air …not really. Stop the option and they are dead. Ten points maybe. Vs vmi we coulda put up 37 without a great run game … just enough run to deflect the pass rush. Vmi was the last (and best of the season) time we truly looked strong passing. And we can’t be one dimensional in the quarterfinals etc
 #83483  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:10 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:09 pm

I’ve seen Hedden play at Tampa Catholic, as I have a relative that plays Volleyball there. I have no doubt that Hedden will be the starting QB in the fall. He’s a competitor and that good.
WOW. hope it’s a serious battle. Or maybe I hope it’s not a battle at all - a big advantage jones has is this will be year three for him. That’s huge for a qb

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.