• The “youngsters” we have not seen play yet

#83630  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:37 pm
I think the #1 question I have going into next season is the SPUR position.

Defenses use different terminology, but the hybrid DB/OLB has become one of the most critical positions in college football as the game becomes more "positionless." In our defense, we used primarily two guys - the more pass oriented Chizik and the more run oriented Miller. It also happens that our third guy - Richards - has also graduated. Currently there are only two SPUR players listed on the roster, neither with much/any playing time.

If you go back and watch the games and isolate the SPUR, you can see how many ways our defensive staff used the position. Sometimes they'd be up on the line slamming against the TE. Sometimes they were dropping into the deep third in pass coverage. Sometimes they were responsible for man coverage on the opposing running back.

The position takes a smart physical player. Someone that can run. Someone that can tackle. Someone that has good instinct.

With the exception of some mop up duty, I believe we've lost nearly every snap at that position over the past year (and, perhaps, multiple years). So, this is a big role that will need to be filled on the '24 team.

I suspect one of the likely targets will be one of the younger talented CBs or maybe one of our reserve safeties.
 #83632  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:41 pm
Also, I can't help but notice that we have a small army of wide receivers on this roster.

I wonder if any of those would flip to defense at some point. A few of these guys look like they played some defense in high school.
 #83642  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also, I can't help but notice that we have a small army of wide receivers on this roster.

I wonder if any of those would flip to defense at some point. A few of these guys look like they played some defense in high school.
Pretty good idea, I say. These guys are certainly great athletes with speed, etc. In a run oriented offense that our coach prefers, no way we can keep all these guys happy as receivers. Football players want to play football so let's get them in a position to see the field. I am sure most of them were two way players in HS and probably most as defensive backs.
 #83652  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:05 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:34 am
The Jackal wrote:

Pretty good idea, I say. These guys are certainly great athletes with speed, etc. In a run oriented offense that our coach prefers, no way we can keep all these guys happy as receivers. Football players want to play football so let's get them in a position to see the field. I am sure most of them were two way players in HS and probably most as defensive backs.

I may be completely off base, but I see a guy like Bailor Hughes, who is listed at 200+ lbs. He's been a reserve receiver for a few years, but plays a good bit on special teams. He was a do everything player in high school and played DB as well.

He seems like a physical athlete, but a kid that hasn't really gotten a lot of opportunities as a pass catcher with the depth we have at that position.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.