• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#82897  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:47 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:56 am
I think it's time for our young guys to get their shot.
Furman has recruited heavily at DB in the last couple of years.

I'd go ahead and pencil in Burrell at FS; I love his potential.
Same for Williams at SS.

We should have a great battle between some impressive athletes at the corner positions.
Yates, Ingram, Mosom, Holmes, Dalton, and Glummer. Don't sleep on the incoming freshman corners.
Astro, but why wouldn’t you want experience and strength - two things DIRECTLY COORELATED with success ( see THIS YEAR ! ) ???

You seem to want us to be young and inexperienced? That’s odd. Sorry. Do not mean to be mean but you always seem to advocate for the new guys. If they are so good why weren’t they starting over Blackshear this year? I assume Because they aren’t as good. One of the Best thing we had last year was Blackshear returning.

Look, this was our BEST YEAR IN 15 years !!! And it was our oldest most experienced team. Coincidence??? I. THINK. NOT

As everyone said, if the ELDER huff plays vs Wofford (and maybe Roberto) we probably beat Wofford.

To that point our coaches - so not me - thought it so important to get the older guys healthy ( Huff and Roberto) we risked a loss that cost us home field advantage (!) just to rest the experienced guys an extra week. We took a huge risk just to REST the older experienced guys. That was a CCH choice. It tells you what he thinks is better. —- Experience

Anyway, didn’t mean to be mean man. Just my thought. Coaches always want Experience
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #82898  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:01 pm
So much for FU bring able to keep players. Looks like it is going to be a mass exodus.

I’m not that far but we do need to be READY. we said “kids stay at Furman”. The portal numbers are climbing for us. We better have a plan.

I will say - and this hurts - I think a lot of our guys saw this as THE YEAR we had a chance. So they are leaving more than usual this year. I don’t think that’s deniable.

Plus we were very old this year.
 #82899  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:10 pm
A lot of these guys would have exhausted eligibility in past eras. Covid is keeping a few of them in the game. So, in other years they would have already been gone.

Just because you enter the portal doesn’t mean you are transferring. Could be you see options and say “nah.”

We are both hurt and benefit from the system. It’s not like Furman isn’t taking other peoples grad transfers who come in and are key contributors. Lose some, get some.
 #82903  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
So much for FU bring able to keep players. Looks like it is going to be a mass exodus.

I’m not that far but we do need to be READY. we said “kids stay at Furman”. The portal numbers are climbing for us. We better have a plan.

I will say - and this hurts - I think a lot of our guys saw this as THE YEAR we had a chance. So they are leaving more than usual this year. I don’t think that’s deniable.

Agree GF. This was the year. Doubt we will ever see a defense like this years. You just couldn’t run on this D. They averaged giving up under 100 ypg rushing. No one rushed for 200 yds all season. On top of that the pass rush and pass coverage got better as the year went along. This was the best defense I have seen at FU in many, many years. It turns out this year and last year were 2 years we coukd compete with anyone. Hate to be a debbie downer but I am afraid it is going to be a while before we can say that again. Hope I am wrong but there is no way we can replace the talent walking out the door this year. The numbers are too much to overcome.
 #82906  by din23
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Agree GF. This was the year. Doubt we will ever see a defense like this years. You just couldn’t run on this D. They averaged giving up under 100 ypg rushing. No one rushed for 200 yds all season. On top of that the pass rush and pass coverage got better as the year went along. This was the best defense I have seen at FU in many, many years. It turns out this year and last year were 2 years we coukd compete with anyone. Hate to be a debbie downer but I am afraid it is going to be a while before we can say that again. Hope I am wrong but there is no way we can replace the talent walking out the door this year. The numbers are too much to overcome.
We know you’re just playing your role! :D EVERYONE on here expects it from you.
GOAT liked this
 #82909  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:46 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:54 pm
We had assumed most of these kids weren’t coming back. Why the shock?
Paul. Sure . Some.

But who knew Huff had another year??? EVERYONE HERE said he’s going military in January. EVERYONE. And now we see he not only has another year but he hits the transfer portal. That is a little shocking. I’m objective. I think that’s a fair assessment. I heard at least five interviews where it was said he was going on to the military in January. Heck they even gave a specific date like January 8 or something. Now I see he’s in the portal

You yourself even went “ugh” when you saw the news of Micah Robinson.

We will see how it all plays out…

So far it looks like UTC and Samford are winning. I looked at a database though they are sketchy… utc had only the one WR in portal. And Samford had none

Western was getting hit hard

*. Please and thank you to those that help keep us updated with SoCon portals and transfers !!! Much appreciated. Please let us know who is leaving each school

Question. —-

So you have until Jan 5 to get in portal ? Is that right?

How long to get out of portal and declare you return. What date ?
 #82911  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:10 am
I’m sure Tyler sees this as an opportunity to test the waters and if no offers come back that blow his socks off he’s heading into his career in the Army. I agree with what was said above, we didn’t expect most of these guys back since they’re graduating.
 #82912  by FU3
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:09 am
apaladin wrote:
Almost everyone leaving has been here 4+ years and have graduated. They may want a different grad degree, a free year in a part of the country they have never been , different dining hall… who knows. I have absolutely no doubt that the vast majority of these moves were not a big surprise to our coaching staff. The funny thing about this hand wringing by the usual suspects is that they have spent the past two years informing the rest of us about how over rated we were, now the 85 Bears are being broken up. The culture that led these players to stick around as long as they did is not going away. I am excited about our future.
gman84, FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker and 4 others liked this
 #82915  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:31 am
Two players I'm interested to see the status of are Pline and Norman.

Fred Norman is a grad transfer, but played in the COVID season, so ostensibly would still have a year remaining to play should he want to take it.

Pline, I have no idea. From what I can tell, he played three seasons of basketball at Ferris State, then switched to football in '21. He wouldn't have played football during the COVID year. But '23 was his third season of college football. I've tried to research the issue, but I'm lost on whether switching sports counts against eligibility for either one.
 #82916  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:24 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:10 am
I’m sure Tyler sees this as an opportunity to test the waters and if no offers come back that blow his socks off he’s heading into his career in the Army. I agree with what was said above, we didn’t expect most of these guys back since they’re graduating.
This is exactly what I was coming to say. It's been mentioned several times this year that he did have another year left, but he was going to move on to the military after this year. So, yes, a little surprising to see him put his name in the portal, but I'm sure he just wants to see if there is an opportunity he can't pass up. It's hard to blame him for that.

Like all the others, Tyler has work hard, graduated, and earned the right to see to is if there is a different opportunity out there. As much as we all want to believe that Furman is this magical place that no one wants to leave, it's hard to blame a 21/22 year old for wanting to see what his value is in the open market. It doesn't mean these guys don't value Furman. Clearly they did, they (to this point) have all graduated and stayed at least four year.

Furman has been the exception, not the rule when it comes to the portal. We've been fortunate to have very few guys go in the portal and most of them have been graduate transfers. There absolutely was going to be a course correction at some point. Some were going to move on with their lives, some were going to see if there was a chance to play at a bigger school. That doesn't mean Furman doesn't have a good culture. These guys wouldn't have stayed 4/5/6 years if it didn't.

It was never going to be easy to see all of these guys finally leave the program one way or the other. It was always going to be painful for us as fans. It's not our life though, it's theirs.

Would you rather be in Idaho's or WCU's position where you lose your best players as sophomores/juniors? I appreciate all of these guys sticking it out for as long as they have to help get us back to a point of national relevance again. Time for the other guys that have been waiting to try and continue what this group started.
FUpaladin08, dornb, Jasper liked this
 #82918  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:45 am
The Jackal wrote:

Fred Norman is a grad transfer, but played in the COVID season, so ostensibly would still have a year remaining to play should he want to take it.

Pline, I have no idea. From what I can tell, he played three seasons of basketball at Ferris State, then switched to football in '21. He wouldn't have played football during the COVID year. But '23 was his third season of college football. I've tried to research the issue, but I'm lost on whether switching sports counts against eligibility for either one.
https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/2/13/ ... terms.aspx

Eligibility Timeline
Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.

AND

12.8 Seasons of Competition: Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall not engage in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport

Ferris Hoops
32 Mason Pline
Career Stats - gp
2018-19 30
2019-20 33 (Covid season)
2020-21 20

So…
Enrolled in ‘18
‘18-‘19 - Year 1 - Ferris Hoops - 1st Season of play
‘19-‘20 - Year 2 - Ferris Hoops - 2nd Season of play- Covid Year - Doesn’t count as Season of play# & ‘Clock’ stopped*
‘20-‘21 - Year 2* - Ferris Hoops - 2nd# Season of Hoops play

‘21-‘22 - Year 3* - Ferris Football - 1st Season of Football play
‘22-‘23 - Year 4* - - Ferris Football - 2nd Season Season of Football play
‘23 - ‘24 - Year 5* - This Year - Furman Football - 3rd Season of Football play

Bottom Line - He’s out of NCAA eligibility by ‘Clock’ (including his free Covid time) even though he does have another season of Football eligibility.

...and Norman does have another year - by clock and by Football season
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #82921  by KingPaladin
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 am
The Jackal wrote:

I assume it doesn't, since JR Smith forewent his basketball eligibility when he went pro but could still come back and play college golf

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by Affirm

Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 pm

Default Avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by JohnKX512

Tue May 14, 2024 9:07 pm

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Default Avatar NFL DRAFT

by The Jackal

Mon May 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.