• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#82842  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:02 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm
My nephew Jack Barton has entered the portal. Unfortunately, Furman does not offer a graduate course for his major. He graduates after this semester. Looking forward to what comes his way. He was a huge contributor on defense and led the team, conference and country in blocked kicks!! I am proud of Jack and look forward to see where he lands! FUATT!!
Personal: Full name is John Francis Barton...born February 14, 2001, in Atlanta, Georgia...son of Bill and Elizabeth Barton...has a brother, Bill...father, Bill, played football at Tennessee...brother, Bill, played football at Centre College...uncle, Hollis Barton, was a three-year letterman (1978-82) and All-SoCon offensive guard at Furman who played on three SoCon championship teams...information technology major.

Welp...there ya go...

FUBeAR will miss cheering for Jack F'n Barton next season.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #82843  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:05 pm
gman84 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:03 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:56 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:12 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:44 am
^ Wolf adding on to your thought. I think we're going to see a differently built D-line in the next couple of years.

At DE; JJackson, Bussey (6-3 273), and Stoneking (6-3 253).
At DT; Stanfield and Vincent (6-1 260), I could see Knauber stepping in (6-1.5 300)
At NG; Stephens, Hernández (6-4 310), and Harrison (6-1 270)

SPUR is going to be interesting. We might see Achina move to SPUR.

Furman also has two very athletic linebackers who redshirted: Ryan Earl (6-2 322), and Raliegh Herbert (6-2 215). Herbert showed some juice when he played against VMI, he could also move to SPUR.
Dang, strength and conditioning program might have gone a little too hard for Earl! ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

With Jackson and Stephens expected to be back, I feel good about the starters there. DT is going to be interesting. Sochovka was 30-40 pounds heavier than the 2 guys there. Does Stanfield bulk up or do we run out a slightly smaller, quicker DL?

Achina could move back to spur since he had been their previously. I'll trust that the coaches will get the best guys on the field when the time comes. No real obvious replacement though other than Achina since he's been there in the past.

LB is going to be interesting. Thankfully DiMaggio really emerged this year once he got his opportunity. McCormick being able to comeback would be a big boost and would let Earl and Herbert work their way in gradually.
McCormick is moving on. Talked to him last week.
Can you define “moving on” a bit more specifically?
His football career is over.
Yeah - that tracks with what his Mom told FUBeAR @ Chatt. FUBeAR just didn't want to be the one 'announcing' it.

Mom seemed to indicate he might like to Coach though - maybe FU will be a spot where he can get that career kicked off ... if FUBeAR understood that correctly.
 #82847  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:53 pm
I have no issues with players completing their undergrad and looking elsewhere to continue their education when they have remaining eligibility on the field.

The bad look of the portal is a player getting hot and transferring to capitalize on that success. I do think as we get past the Covid year this will settle down as players won’t always have that extra year. I do wonder if FCS coaches will be more strategic with that redshirt year to utilize talent while they have it instead of losing that talent at its peak?
paladinfan12 liked this
 #82849  by gman84
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:12 pm
My issue with the portal is the ability of some players to simply enter the portal and basically see who has the "best" NIL money. This is definitely evident at the P5 level.
 #82853  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:35 pm
Y'all need to get hip... (which is prolly not a very hip way to say that)...

FBS Football IS PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.

The Players and Coaches are ALL mercenaries. Yep - even YOUR favorite Player on YOUR Favorite Team....him too. There is no loyalty to Team or School. Loyalty is only to the lucre. Their actions mean more than their X's about brotherhood and loyalty. They don't know the meaning of either of those words.

FCS Players and Coaches moving on to be FBS Players and Coaches are also ALL mercenaries.

If you find any of that distasteful, you should not give FBS one bit of your headspace or 1 blink of your eyeballs. FUBeAR doesn't.

FCS is on the precipice of being the same as FBS. If it does become the same, FUBeAR will remove FCS Football from his headspace and eyeballs too.

FUBeAR don't care if every Coach and Player in FBS is livin' in hilltop houses and drivin' 15 cars. More power to 'em. Get it!!!

FUBeAR got no interest in watching 'em Coach and Play Football for the lucre and don't care if they win or lose or catch the ball or drop it...though. He has never been a fan of Pro Football for a reason.

This is where we are. It sux for those of us who have enjoyed AMATEUR Intercollegiate Athletics for so many years....but it is what it is. FUBeAR and you ain't changin' it.
 #82861  by Jasper
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:35 pm
Y'all need to get hip... (which is prolly not a very hip way to say that)...

FBS Football IS PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.

The Players and Coaches are ALL mercenaries. Yep - even YOUR favorite Player on YOUR Favorite Team....him too. There is no loyalty to Team or School. Loyalty is only to the lucre. Their actions mean more than their X's about brotherhood and loyalty. They don't know the meaning of either of those words.

FCS Players and Coaches moving on to be FBS Players and Coaches are also ALL mercenaries.

If you find any of that distasteful, you should not give FBS one bit of your headspace or 1 blink of your eyeballs. FUBeAR doesn't.

FCS is on the precipice of being the same as FBS. If it does become the same, FUBeAR will remove FCS Football from his headspace and eyeballs too.

FUBeAR don't care if every Coach and Player in FBS is livin' in hilltop houses and drivin' 15 cars. More power to 'em. Get it!!!

FUBeAR got no interest in watching 'em Coach and Play Football for the lucre and don't care if they win or lose or catch the ball or drop it...though. He has never been a fan of Pro Football for a reason.

This is where we are. It sux for those of us who have enjoyed AMATEUR Intercollegiate Athletics for so many years....but it is what it is. FUBeAR and you ain't changin' it.
CAUSTIC - ANGRY - CYNICAL ———but friggin right. FCS may well be the hill to die on in defense of amateur sport. A scholarship to a decent academic school that will prepare someone for life is enough reward for someone doing something they love. The rest is all greedy BS. Leave all that to the big stadium/tv contract professional college teams and just stop it at the FCS level. A player wants to stick his ass in a portal than just let him kiss it goodbye when he does. No dippin your little toe in to see if anyone wants you. You go in the portal, you go out the friggin door at this institution. Tell the NCAA to shove their portal and don’t participate. Still allow kids to transfer for their own reasons - don’t make it a sanctioned and structured thing. What the hell are we doing in the same fraternity as Oklahoma State anyway? Tilt at some damned windmills FU Bear and see if those suckers don’t fall. You know your way around that hood. We don’t need no stinkin portal. Continue to upgrade the brand value and the right kind of kids will come. A lot already have.
 #82862  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:50 pm
Repeat everything I said for the two previous guys. Hate to lose these guys, but not surprised at this point. Luke was a great player for us and definitely will be missed.

Jack Barton already picked up an offer from GT.

Micah Robinson picked up offers from Bowling Green and Jax State
 #82866  by Roundball
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:02 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm
My nephew Jack Barton has entered the portal. Unfortunately, Furman does not offer a graduate course for his major. He graduates after this semester. Looking forward to what comes his way. He was a huge contributor on defense and led the team, conference and country in blocked kicks!! I am proud of Jack and look forward to see where he lands! FUATT!!
Personal: Full name is John Francis Barton...born February 14, 2001, in Atlanta, Georgia...son of Bill and Elizabeth Barton...has a brother, Bill...father, Bill, played football at Tennessee...brother, Bill, played football at Centre College...uncle, Hollis Barton, was a three-year letterman (1978-82) and All-SoCon offensive guard at Furman who played on three SoCon championship teams...information technology major.

Welp...there ya go...

FUBeAR will miss cheering for Jack F'n Barton next season.
 #82867  by tim
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm
I assumed also that Huff didn't want to play another year, if he does it probably makes sense to see if he can get a big school offer. Don't think one is coming though.
 #82868  by Roundball
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:28 pm
tim wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm
I assumed also that Huff didn't want to play another year, if he does it probably makes sense to see if he can get a big school offer. Don't think one is coming though.
Huff will get several FBS offers. Heck, S. Carolina could use him.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by FUBeAR

Tue May 14, 2024 5:54 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Default Avatar NFL DRAFT

by The Jackal

Mon May 13, 2024 10:48 pm

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by MNORM

Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.