• 2023 Seniors and Grads

#82621  by furman86
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:34 pm
Congrats to all seniors and grads - you gave all Furman fans something to be proud of.

I remember FUBeAR writing that folks on the roster in the Fall of 2020 get an extra COVID year - do we know i any of the seniors/grads can or would like to stay an extra year? Sure would be good news if they could/would stay.
 #82623  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:40 pm
I think there are a number of guys who could come back. Clay said he expects some to come back but we’ll see. Will still be a decent amount of new starters next year (but a decent amount of playing experience).

We’ll certainly miss guys like Blackshear and Sochovka. That’s college football though. Everyone moves on eventually. We’ve been luckier than most to keep our really important guys.
dornb liked this
 #82628  by gman84
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:08 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
I think there are a number of guys who could come back. Clay said he expects some to come back but we’ll see. Will still be a decent amount of new starters next year (but a decent amount of playing experience).

We’ll certainly miss guys like Blackshear and Sochovka. That’s college football though. Everyone moves on eventually. We’ve been luckier than most to keep our really important guys.
This is where our grad program can really help.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #82629  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:11 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:

If Furman had some type of Graduate programs in Business or IT or Business IT, more would stay.

Our OL would have been at least 1 FBS Starter better last night.

https://goccusports.com/sports/footbal ... mper/18509

Hard to say that, alone, wouldn’t have made enough of a difference in a game that ended in a tie.
gman84, dornb liked this
 #83415  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:52 pm
VERY Impressive …CONGRATS TO THIS SMART YOUNG WARRIOR!!!

Hey, Lt. Huff … are you sure we can’t interest you in a Masters in Advocacy & Equity Studies? They’re all the rage, y’know!
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #83418  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:56 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

If Furman had some type of Graduate programs in Business or IT or Business IT, more would stay.

Hard to say that, alone, wouldn’t have made enough of a difference in a game that ended in a tie.
FUBeAR and I agree. Dogs living with cats mass hysteria .. Lol

Yep. And sounds like Barton would be staying this year if that’s the case.

That’s why I am so weird on tracking injuries. Especially at FCS one guy is a huge HUGE difference maker. Only SDSU could sustain multiple injuries imo

Take out Huff and Roberto …we struggle and lose to Wofford. ( I do realize we beat utc ! And vmi in similar situation). More health we could a won to semifinals and finals. Totally different team.

Furman is a SCHOOL. A GREAT SCHOOL. not a minor league factory. But I do wish we had more grad programs. Especially broad ones like FUBeAR mentions.

Matter of fact this is Part of Wofford issue vs us. They have no graduate programs and so no elder statesmen. That’s a killer
 #83419  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:12 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

FWIW Jumper played very little at CCU. Played in only 7 games.
 #83424  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:30 am
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

I noticed that. Not sure the details. But he was a stud for us.
 #83435  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:05 am
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

FUBeAR doesn’t understand why you guys ever doubt & challenge the writings of FUBeAR. You should just take it as Gospel and appreciate the opportunities for edification provided to you...free of charge…
“Our OL would have been at least 1 FBS Starter better last night.” - FUBeAR
 #83534  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:09 am
On the subject of former Paladins, Darren Grainger won the MVP of Georgia State's bowl game.

In three years at GSU, he rushed for close to 2,000 yards and 17 touchdowns and threw for nearly 6,000 yards and 51 touchdowns. Had he stayed at Furman, I suspect he would have rewritten the record books for QBs.

In a parallel universe, I imagine he would have led us just as far with the 2023 roster if not all the way to the title game.
Bootie, dornb liked this
 #83535  by Bootie
 Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
On the subject of former Paladins, Darren Grainger won the MVP of Georgia State's bowl game.

In three years at GSU, he rushed for close to 2,000 yards and 17 touchdowns and threw for nearly 6,000 yards and 51 touchdowns. Had he stayed at Furman, I suspect he would have rewritten the record books for QBs.

In a parallel universe, I imagine he would have led us just as far with the 2023 roster if not all the way to the title game.
Grainger reminded me of Armanti Edwards.
 #83536  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:44 am
Bootie wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I remember going to the Furman/Georgia State game and watching him absolutely light up GSU. I left that game excited about the future.

Hat tip too certainly to the coaching staff. Grainger was coming off an injury and had limited time even playing QB at the high school level. They identified his talent.
dornb liked this
 #83544  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Yep, no disrespect to Huff AT ALL. But I think Grainger had a little more arm etc. I watched some of Georgia State this year and it HURT.

For perspective, you all have a point on hitting the portal after 4 or 5 years. that being ok. sadly , Grainger, one of our absolute top players at a key position is one of the few we couldn't retain and left asap. :? :? :?
 #83547  by Jasper
 Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:44 am
Bootie wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I remember going to the Furman/Georgia State game and watching him absolutely light up GSU. I left that game excited about the future.

Hat tip too certainly to the coaching staff. Grainger was coming off an injury and had limited time even playing QB at the high school level. They identified his talent.
No doubt that Grainger played at great game that night in Atlanta vs GSU. Now take a look at his game vs APU in the playoffs. Hard to believe its the same guy. There is more to the Darren Grainger leaving FU story than meets the eye. I think a lot of the credit for his development has got to go to the GSU qb coach.
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar And WC wins the SoCon…

by Flagman

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:20 am

Default Avatar DIVISION ONE

by tim

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:15 am

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:08 am

User avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by FUBeAR

Fri May 31, 2024 5:15 pm

User avatar Changing times ...

by palafan

Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.