• The Montana Experience

#82566  by Bootie
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:02 am
By FAR the best FCS venue and game environment I’ve ever experienced.

By FAR the most enjoyable and hospitable fans I’ve experienced in all of college football. Before the game more people we could count greeted us and invited us to tailgates. Afterwards they were so appreciative and gracious. A model of competition and sportsmanship. I’ll be a Griz fan for life, unless of course, they’re playing Furman.
Last edited by Bootie on Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrizGuy, Roundball, RobGriz and 4 others liked this
 #82567  by FUDude
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:05 am
I agree, every single person I met this week was simply top notch. Even after the game the people were offering us beers and chatting on the way out.

Top shelf stuff

Thank you all for the experience
dornb liked this
 #82570  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:19 am
My father and I decided jointly to NEVER PULL FOR MONTANA EVER. We watched on TV and decided after the 10th person said Fck Furman

I’m pulling against them

On the other hand I’m torn. the ones who post here and on AGS seem truly really classy - really - so I don’t know. Just that I saw a sign on TV “fck Huffs wife” or some such. That’s not cool. Military award winner you let sports bring you to that. I won’t cry for Montana.

Looks good for us if they win next week. Then I hope they get destroyed

Eh, but everyone has those fans I guess. I think it was Josh Cooper that posted here from 2001 - you know those players from then aren’t accepting a moral victory. They wanted a damn win
 #82576  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:50 am
Every school has some bad apples. I am not at all surprised by the comments Bootie made. My guess is they are one of the model programs in FCS with rabid fans.
 #82578  by GrizGuy
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:58 am
Bootie wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:02 am
By FAR the best FCS venue and game environment I’ve ever experienced.

By FAR the most enjoyable and hospitable fans I’ve experienced in all of college football. Before the game more people we could count greeted us and invited us to tailgates. Afterwards they were so appreciative and gracious. A model of competition and sportsmanship. I’ll be a Griz fan for life, unless of course, they’re playing Furman.
I’m delighted to hear that. I hope the rest of your trip is great, too.

Wow, that FU defense is really good. They made our O line look like rag dolls. You’d never know it from this game, but we have very good running backs. I was very impressed by the Paladin D, and the general discipline of the entire team.

I know it sucks to take moral victories, but that team did you proud. No doubt in my mind that several kids watched and decided if they get to play in college, they’re gonna commit to one of these two schools.

I am really glad this game wasn’t in SC, the Griz probably wouldn’t have been won.

Hope to see these programs play again next year!
Bootie, dornb, FurmanATT liked this
 #82601  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:02 am
I would not trade my experience for anything, and I would do it again next year.
Montana folk are good people ;-) My dad was from there, too!

Bootie, his brother, and I sat in the middle of some great Griz fans of all ages. Their commitment to being a Griz fan is impressive. Besides getting hit with some Twinkies, they throw Twinkies after each score, I've never been treated better as an opposing fan.

As Bootie said, our walk out of the stadium and into downtown was met with constant kudos and great comments about Furman. The Montana fans in our section clapped with Furman fans as our players walked off the field.

I meant to add, several of the fans around me started yelling in the fourth quarter, stop running the ball. You can't run against that Defense.
Bootie, MTDozzer, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #82603  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:07 am
AstroDin wrote:
Bootie, his brother, and I sat in the middle of some great Griz fans of all ages. Their commitment to being a Griz fan is impressive. Besides getting hit with some Twinkies, they throw Twinkies after each score, I've never been treated better as an opposing fan.
Free twinkies! I mean, that’s way better than the JMU streamer toss!

Would have loved to go! Kudos to all the Furman fans that made the trip!
 #82605  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:16 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:07 am
AstroDin wrote:
Free twinkies! I mean, that’s way better than the JMU streamer toss!

Would have loved to go! Kudos to all the Furman fans that made the trip!
LOL, for me, that's like getting hit with rocks (I'm a diabetic).
MTDozzer, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #82610  by MTDozzer
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:46 am
Thanks to all FU fans that came up north.
The weather was exceptional and a non factor. Two great teams that mirrored each other. Two very experienced HC’s with. Their stamp on the rosters and character of the players.

Some of the other teams in the FCS playoffs may be licking their chops thinking both teams that met are not that impressive. In reality two great teams neutralized each other and one made one more play to get the win.

Several players with seven years in college ball and didn’t want it to end. Pressure to the highest degree. No player should hang their head or fan…it was a clash of the Titans.

Just remember during the game the filters come off and things are said that should not be made public. Much like taking Huff out of context before the game. Freedom of speech without private talk being made public would be better. IMHO

"I tell you it's a little different when you have a ten-year-old kid calling you fat for four quarters!" This was a great comment and glad he had a smile talking about it…it is banter nothing more.

Fans should be passionate (fanatic or fanatical), but when the whistle blows it ends and we are friends and families again. I met a fan from SC and his child went to UM and he was sporting purple and FU gear…he understands the pull from both sides. If you do not respect your foe it is fault on your part. I have witnessed the opposite for the most part this week..resect from both sides and glad to have visited this site and shared a great week of events with some great people from the great state of SC. You guys are a class act. Thank you.

By the way the post game press conference touched on the fact that the Furman team loved the atmosphere…as a player how does it get better playing in front of a decent crowd who are also passionate about FB.
Bootie, AstroDin, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #82626  by Paul C
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:52 pm
I’ve enjoyed the Montana fans that came over to our board. Good people. Wish I had been able to go.
dornb liked this
 #82627  by gman84
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:05 pm
MTDozzer wrote:
The weather was exceptional and a non factor. Two great teams that mirrored each other. Two very experienced HC’s with. Their stamp on the rosters and character of the players.

Some of the other teams in the FCS playoffs may be licking their chops thinking both teams that met are not that impressive. In reality two great teams neutralized each other and one made one more play to get the win.

Several players with seven years in college ball and didn’t want it to end. Pressure to the highest degree. No player should hang their head or fan…it was a clash of the Titans.

Just remember during the game the filters come off and things are said that should not be made public. Much like taking Huff out of context before the game. Freedom of speech without private talk being made public would be better. IMHO

"I tell you it's a little different when you have a ten-year-old kid calling you fat for four quarters!" This was a great comment and glad he had a smile talking about it…it is banter nothing more.

Fans should be passionate (fanatic or fanatical), but when the whistle blows it ends and we are friends and families again. I met a fan from SC and his child went to UM and he was sporting purple and FU gear…he understands the pull from both sides. If you do not respect your foe it is fault on your part. I have witnessed the opposite for the most part this week..resect from both sides and glad to have visited this site and shared a great week of events with some great people from the great state of SC. You guys are a class act. Thank you.

By the way the post game press conference touched on the fact that the Furman team loved the atmosphere…as a player how does it get better playing in front of a decent crowd who are also passionate about FB.
My son, who is part of the staff, said it was the best experience from the atmosphere and fans. Good luck going forward.
FUBeAR, MTDozzer, dornb liked this
 #82644  by MTDozzer
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:26 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:05 pm
MTDozzer wrote:

My son, who is part of the staff, said it was the best experience from the atmosphere and fans. Good luck going forward.
That is cool having a family member on the staff. That is good to hear the atmosphere gets hipe some for the good and some not so much for the opponents who want to down play it. Ferris St HC gave the crowd big props after the game and even said to let him know if there is a HC opening at UM in the future. He also asked…Is it like this every week?

Most MT fans are generous and welcome others to be part of what we enjoy. ( I have been attending at WA Griz stadium for decades when it held just over 6000 fans and the endzones were grass.) some of the expansion has been good and some of the things have changed for the not so good and the bandwagoners get on when it is good. Griz FB is the biggest draw in MT sports. Many reports this week about fans and businesses helping fans who may not have the funds to attend get there Friday and even get them gas money and lodging.

I know people from SC and all say how nice the FU campus is and everything is top notch. Nice for two top FCS programs to play each other and enjoy the banter. Do things the right way and eventually more will want to be part of it. I look forward to future FU games.
Bootie, FUBeAR, FurmanATT and 2 others liked this
 #82646  by RainierGriz
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:56 pm
Was not exactly sure where my tickets were going to be, but was unexpectedly in the the Furman parents. Just a wonderful group of people and great fans. A whole new perspective when sitting with people watching their children, many of which were seniors.
FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by FUeveryday

Fri May 31, 2024 2:18 pm

User avatar And WC wins the SoCon…

by Flagman

Fri May 31, 2024 10:30 am

User avatar DIVISION ONE

by apaladin

Thu May 30, 2024 8:25 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by cavedweller2

Thu May 30, 2024 6:41 pm

User avatar Changing times ...

by palafan

Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.