• Advice from a Griz fan

#81907  by Stumpy
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:03 pm
Got an email this morning about Friday's trip:

Last weekend the snow was very wet, bring rain gear along with warm clothes.
Handwarmers and footwarmers work.
A fleece blanket to sit on helps.
Going to Sun highway on Glacier Park is closed for winter.
Missoula has national headquarters for Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Boone & Crockett.
Great art galleries
Stay downtown - Holiday Inn and Double Tree are nice
Great restaurants and bars. Charlie B's is famous dive bar, Iron Horse, The James, Missoula Club (MO Club), Press Box, Rhino.
Downtown Missoula has lots of unique stores and very few national chains.
People will invite you to tailgate parties.
Bags must be clear to bring in stadium and no liquids. Plan on going in to stadium by 6:30 long lines and security checks.
Have fun
 #81917  by GrizGuy
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm
I would add to this: Book your return trip for Sunday or Monday.
Stay in town a couple days.
Book a fly fishing half-day with Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop (also a GREAT place to stay is the Dry Fly Apartments, which are actually air bnb style rentals and the prices for what you get are generally way better than vrbo or airbnb or hotels that gouge). Also look up rentals at the Wilma.
Or book a day and fish the Blackfoot of the fabled novella “A River Runs Through It.” The guys at Grizzly Hackle will help you hook up w a Westslope Cutthroat. It’ll be worth it.

Eat at Scotty’s Table. Have coffee at Clyde. Ear Big Dipper Ice Cream. Buy tea for home at Butterfly Herbs.

Rent some mountain bikes. Take them over to the Rattlesnake Nat’l Recreation Area, and go for a nice trail ride (any level of rider can do this).

And for only the TRULY HEARTY. Here’s how to walk in the literal footsteps of Lewis and Clark: Rent a car (pref truck, van or awd). Drive east out of Missoula on hwy 200 1hr 50min, past the town of Lincoln (where they found and busted the Unabomber). A few miles later, Turn left on Alice Creek Rd. Stay on it (keep right) aaaaaalllllllll the way to the end. You’ll be at a campground.
Hike the trail there for about two miles. Welcome to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (the Scapegoat Wilderness part).
You will find a cairn and a historic marker showing you where Capt Lewis and some men hiked an old buffalo trail the local tribes used. From there, look east. You’ll swear you can almost see home. It looks today not much different from when Lewis stood there in 1806. If you’re insane, walk a few more meters and you’ll be on the Continental Divide Trail. I would NOT advise hiking that at this time of year unless you really know WTF you’re doing. And trust me, unless you’re a guide, you don’t. Also trust me, a fraction of a percentage of Montana residents have even seen this, so you’ll one-up a lot of residents.

Just take some pics, turn around, hike back to your car and go back to Missoula and have a nice meal, knowing that even tho your team lost, you enjoyed the entire experience and saw yourself some amazing land, and almost touched history.

I hope you all have a great trip, that your team loses, and that you leave loving Missoula as much as I do.

Have fun!
Bootie, Davemeister, Stumpy and 3 others liked this
 #81922  by GrizInTheZoo
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:17 pm
Hey Go Paladins - Montana Griz alumni and fan here.

It cannot be overstated enough - bring snow pants/jacket if you have them. Make sure your ears and hands are covered. I also suggest buying more hand/foot warmers than you think you’ll need (you can find them at just about ever gas station in Missoula)

You will be absolutely miserable if you are not warm and dry for the game - blankets are helpful or at least a rag to wipe the snow/water off your seat. Also Washington-Grizzly stadium has a very specific policy about bringing bags in, so check that info before you get in line!

Our early season snow in Montana has been very wet thus far and if it snows this weekend, it won’t be any different with temps in the low 30’s/high 20’s.

Also, if you’re making the trek, rock your purple proud - the Montana fans will take care of whatever you need during your stay (minus a win)!
 #81924  by Kennypowers
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:29 pm
Furman guy here but am in Missoula and Philipsburg (great tiny town with all the old west feel you need) a lot. Coolest town and the people rock. Much better than Bozeman IMO. Everything is walkable downtown. Agree on the hiking depending on the weather....and not trying to do too much. Check out Philipsburg if you have time (1.5 hrs away) and again if the weather cooperates. Great uncrowded skiing at Discovery near P-Burg. Real cool place. Flathead Lake is beautiful and close but not sure there's anything to do or how the roads would be etc. Thinking about it more, I take it all back....with just a weekend, probably best just to stick around Missoula or very close.

In Missoula, Stockman's bar is a cool spot but sure it is a UM hangout to some degree. Red's is good but also a good place to see a fight;) My favorite bar/restaurant is Oxford cafe. Good food and diner feel. Think western Stax with vintage rifles on the wall. Out of downtown, Sundown lounge is a great dive bar and fun. Zoo Thais best such restaurant Ive been to in years and is in the AC hotel downtown. New but very good. AC Hotel is great also.

Look......Montana people are naturally proud of their team and will talk smack on FU cause they think we're small ball trash or some ivory tower wus school (which maybe we are to some degree :) The Griz game to those folks are like a GA or Clemson game is to folks in the Southeast. Great folks though who we will have to battle with over the next few days and hopefully Friday night. They really got it rolling out there and I saw them absolutely kill Montana State who are no slouches......so we got all we can handle. However our guys are on a mission and I expect them to rise up and play hard hitting ball. We need a break or two or favorable bounce and to stay calm and we may come back East happier than the Griz poster would like. Let's go boys!
FUBeAR, gman84, Stumpy and 1 others liked this
 #81934  by GrizGuy
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:30 pm
Agreed, Kenny!
I never tell people about Reds or Stocks just because it’s so friggin crowded. Also, you nail it on the relative rabidness of the fanbase relative to SEC type schools.
Also, LOVE me some P-burg! Take the 102 to 38 along Rock Creek, stop and get a line wet along the way to P-burg. That’s a wonderful way to spend a day.
 #81939  by Kennypowers
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:46 pm
True dat. Packed....and you can always go in, have a beer, write your name on the ceiling, do an "FU all the time cheer....and leave:) But there are so many good bars there. Hard to go wrong.
AstroDin liked this
 #81949  by Choir Boy
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:38 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
True dat. Packed....and you can always go in, have a beer, write your name on the ceiling, do an "FU all the time cheer....and leave:) But there are so many good bars there. Hard to go wrong.
We coming and hell is coming with us
FUBeAR, rangab, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #81960  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:25 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:38 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
We coming and hell is coming with us
gman84, Bootie liked this
 #81961  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:32 pm
GrizGuy wrote:
Book a fly fishing half-day with Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop (also a GREAT place to stay is the Dry Fly Apartments, which are actually air bnb style rentals and the prices for what you get are generally way better than vrbo or airbnb or hotels that gouge). Also look up rentals at the Wilma.
Or book a day and fish the Blackfoot of the fabled novella “A River Runs Through It.” The guys at Grizzly Hackle will help you hook up w a Westslope Cutthroat. It’ll be worth it.

Eat at Scotty’s Table. Have coffee at Clyde. Ear Big Dipper Ice Cream. Buy tea for home at Butterfly Herbs.

Rent some mountain bikes. Take them over to the Rattlesnake Nat’l Recreation Area, and go for a nice trail ride (any level of rider can do this).

And for only the TRULY HEARTY. Here’s how to walk in the literal footsteps of Lewis and Clark: Rent a car (pref truck, van or awd). Drive east out of Missoula on hwy 200 1hr 50min, past the town of Lincoln (where they found and busted the Unabomber). A few miles later, Turn left on Alice Creek Rd. Stay on it (keep right) aaaaaalllllllll the way to the end. You’ll be at a campground.
Hike the trail there for about two miles. Welcome to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (the Scapegoat Wilderness part).
You will find a cairn and a historic marker showing you where Capt Lewis and some men hiked an old buffalo trail the local tribes used. From there, look east. You’ll swear you can almost see home. It looks today not much different from when Lewis stood there in 1806. If you’re insane, walk a few more meters and you’ll be on the Continental Divide Trail. I would NOT advise hiking that at this time of year unless you really know WTF you’re doing. And trust me, unless you’re a guide, you don’t. Also trust me, a fraction of a percentage of Montana residents have even seen this, so you’ll one-up a lot of residents.

Just take some pics, turn around, hike back to your car and go back to Missoula and have a nice meal, knowing that even tho your team lost, you enjoyed the entire experience and saw yourself some amazing land, and almost touched history.

I hope you all have a great trip, that your team loses, and that you leave loving Missoula as much as I do.

Have fun!
GrizGuy. Great post. We need more like this. Where you recommend a bar .. nature. Fishing. Coffee.

Thank you. Great fan and sharing of inside local information

You represent Griz fans well !!!

On the game I suspect you win. I’ve watched you dismantle Montana State and Delaware. Man. But hopefully we bring a better game than they did.

Regardless I wanted to thank you for a post recommending places to visit rather than smack talk. Classy. Good stuff !!!
 #82038  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:56 am
Feeling somewhat guilty for anything I would do to take attention & focus off the all-important game itself & our need to compete successfully, but I am interested in reading these Missoula comments. There is a person from the SC upstate who now permanently lives in Missoula since about 6 months ago. I look forward to collecting & sharing the interesting & friendly Missoula tips with the family, who I know very well. (They are all Clemson fans.)
I look forward to traveling to Missoula some day, myself. I hope that when I do, there will NOT be additional painful Furman football history to remember associated with Missoula.
Go Furman!
Last edited by Affirm on Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrizGuy liked this
 #82043  by Mtgriz
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:15 am
The weather hasn't been very cold. Currently predicted to be in the 20s with snow in the morning. Weather shouldnt be an issue.

If you are renting a car please be careful. Missoula roads are notoriously slippery.

There are two footbridges over the Clark Fork and a walking path by the river. Parking at the field is impossible. Very easy walk from downtown. Follow the crowd.

Crowd was pretty small last weekend (19k instead of 25k) and likely to be small again this weekend since it's a Friday night game. It should still be a fun environment. Tailgate area will be much smaller than regular season games but there are plenty of areas to celebrate.

Most fans will be generous and pleasant. There are always those drunk idiots and griz nation apologizes in advance.

Furman looks tough. Griz fans are nervous no matter what we say on the forums. We are looking forward to a great game.
AstroDin, FUwolfpacker, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #82046  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 am
gofurman wrote:
GrizGuy wrote:

Have fun!
GrizGuy. Great post. We need more like this. Where you recommend a bar .. nature. Fishing. Coffee.

Thank you. Great fan and sharing of inside local information

You represent Griz fans well !!!

On the game I suspect you win. I’ve watched you dismantle Montana State and Delaware. Man. But hopefully we bring a better game than they did.

Regardless I wanted to thank you for a post recommending places to visit rather than smack talk. Classy. Good stuff !!!
This from a guy who won’t be at the game.
FUBeAR, GrizGuy liked this
 #82049  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:45 am
Flagman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 am
gofurman wrote:
GrizGuy wrote:
I hope…your team loses
On the game I suspect you win
This from a guy who won’t be at the game.
All FUBeAR saw was this ish before he sent a PM to the Mods asking to move it to the NN thread

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.