• Wofford

#80841  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:52 am
At least one shot to Dean on a post route where he'd beaten his man. We also had Hinton deep basically standing by himself.

Wofford plays a lot of man coverage to throw more bodies at the running game. What was frustrating is watching Furman put Anderson in motion out wide, watching a Terrier linebacker go with him, and not taking advantage of Anderson's massive matchup advantage over a Wofford linebacker in man coverage - we maybe hit that throw once in the fourth quarter.

You could also see a lot of man coverage on Harris. At some point, just run him deep and launch it to him. I'd take Harris on a lot of 50/50 balls downfield.
apaladin liked this
 #80846  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:11 am
The Furman coaching staff had a bad day for sure. Was thinking before the game that FU had not lost a fumble, maybe one or two all year and lo and behold one cost us the game. Another example of a bad coaching day: why did the freshman have the ball on that 4th down play instead of Anderson?
 #80849  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:34 am
Post-game Comments:

Let's not try to build Wofford into something they aren't. They are NO powerhouse. The Terriers entered the game 1-9 with their only win vs. a winless Citadel. Even if they are "the best 2-9 team in the FCS", there is no excuse for what happened yesterday. So let's don't make any.

Best thing we can do is flush it and forget it, but remember what it taught us: that we can lose to anybody if we go into a game unprepared. And it was obvious from the git-go that the Paladins were not up for this one.

On to The Playoffs! Go Dins!
dornb, bj93, Choir Boy liked this
 #80857  by Thorny
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:33 am
I guess I wouldn't say we are playing down to the level of our opponent.

Furman can hang with anyone because of their defense but Furman can't separate themselves from anyone due to their inconsistent offense.

Do I think Furman wins this game with Roberto and Huff? Yes. Do I think Furman would have won by more than a single possession with Roberto and Huff? No

Even if Furman had won, the fact that Roberto and Huff will likely be back, etc. isn't that reassuring. Furman didn't have an uncharacteristically bad game. They played their typical game and had worse luck than usual.
Davemeister liked this
 #80861  by Furmanoid
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:47 am
Thorny wrote:

Furman can hang with anyone because of their defense but Furman can't separate themselves from anyone due to their inconsistent offense.

Do I think Furman wins this game with Roberto and Huff? Yes. Do I think Furman would have won by more than a single possession with Roberto and Huff? No

Even if Furman had won, the fact that Roberto and Huff will likely be back, etc. isn't that reassuring. Furman didn't have an uncharacteristically bad game. They played their typical game and had worse luck than usual.
But they almost always win their bad games. My theory is that nobody’s any good anymore. HS games look like middle school now. Nobody’s allowed to coach so nobody gets very good. Its showing in college now. This has been the crappiest and most boring FBS season ever. So anyway, maybe we aren’t all that great, but nobody is.
 #80865  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thorny wrote:

But they almost always win their bad games. My theory is that nobody’s any good anymore. HS games look like middle school now. Nobody’s allowed to coach so nobody gets very good. Its showing in college now. This has been the crappiest and most boring FBS season ever. So anyway, maybe we aren’t all that great, but nobody is.
Serious question… what do you mean by “nobody’s allowed to coach”?
 #80875  by Furmanoid
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:45 pm
Bootie wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Thorny wrote:

If you do or say anything mean, players will get rid of you. It’s easy. One or two malcontents can do it. For instance I was helping with a girls’ tennis team. We have a girl who could be good if she wasn’t morbidly obese. But of course we can’t suggest she lose weight, that would be mean. (So we’re empathizing and allowing her to be miserable and die young. That’s the compassionate path.)

If they don’t get the guy fired, they just quit. Coaching is telling people what to do, and a very high percentage of our young scholars don’t believe anybody has the right to tell them what to do.
Bootie, FUTex liked this
 #80904  by Thorny
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Bootie wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Thorny wrote:

If you do or say anything mean, players will get rid of you. It’s easy. One or two malcontents can do it. For instance I was helping with a girls’ tennis team. We have a girl who could be good if she wasn’t morbidly obese. But of course we can’t suggest she lose weight, that would be mean. (So we’re empathizing and allowing her to be miserable and die young. That’s the compassionate path.)

If they don’t get the guy fired, they just quit. Coaching is telling people what to do, and a very high percentage of our young scholars don’t believe anybody has the right to tell them what to do.
Eh, leadership is getting the most out of people. A good coach is a good leader. Leaders understand that what motivates one person does not motivate another.

With the transfer portal, likely everything happening on the coaches terms is a thing of the past. Coaches need to learn how to inspire kids to come play for them, motivate the kids on their teams, and instill a culture that results in them being listened to and puts more numbers on the field house.

Early in Napoleon's career, during The Siege of Toulon, Napoleon wanted to man a particular vulnerable position but his superiors were against as they didn't think anyone would be willing to man it. He renamed the position "The battery of men without fear" and thus he had no problems finding soldiers willing to man the position.

During the Vietnam War over a 1,000 members of the military died from mysterious circumstances. Fragging, a term whose namesake comes from military members using a grenade to kill superior officers, was an on-going issue. Strangly enough, drafted soldiers didn't want to die for a war they didn't want to be part of for their superior's career.

Being a General/Officer in the military means telling soldiers what to do but you will get a lot more out of people if they want to do what you tell them. Respect is not given, it is earned. I understand that A LOT of people are hard to motivate, work with, etc. but part of what makes someone a good leader is knowing how to reach those exact people.

Coaches don't need athletes to put themselves in life threatening situations but they need to know how to motivate them enough so they hit gym so they can get playing time.
 #80907  by Afurmanfan
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:24 pm
Having played for some great (I thought) coaches at Furman and also having lost a fumble, I used to feel bad about it. But I now realize that i was a victim of bad coaches. I learn a lot on this site.
How many snaps under center has Anderson taken this season?
Some of the comments here i hope are meant to be comical.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #80914  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:45 pm
Bootie wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Thorny wrote:

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WITH YOU MAN
 #80916  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:10 pm
Anyone notice that 79 Lamb appeared to play on OL yesterday? I thought that a little odd as he isn’t even on the two deep now

Am I wrong? Did he play some ?
 #80918  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:10 pm
Anyone notice that 79 Lamb appeared to play on OL yesterday? I thought that a little odd as he isn’t even on the two deep now

Am I wrong? Did he play some ?
The published two deep isn't set in stone.

If Lamb is listed on the participation list on the box score, he probably played.

A lot of guys play on special teams only, even if they aren't on the field on offense or defense.
 #80920  by Choir Boy
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Furman coaching staff had a bad day for sure. Was thinking before the game that FU had not lost a fumble, maybe one or two all year and lo and behold one cost us the game. Another example of a bad coaching day: why did the freshman have the ball on that 4th down play instead of Anderson?
Bad coaching....come on man
If Anderson had the ball and fumbled you would have said should have played the freshman......Maybe Wofford made a good play...maybe if 77 or 75 would have blocked better he would have not have fumbled?

Shit happens....it should have never came down to one play in this game......We...entire team wet the bed....now we need to nut up and right the ship.....
Davemeister liked this
 #80924  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:06 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:24 pm
Having played for some great (I thought) coaches at Furman and also having lost a fumble, I used to feel bad about it. But I now realize that i was a victim of bad coaches. I learn a lot on this site.
How many snaps under center has Anderson taken this season?
Some of the comments here i hope are meant to be comical.
You ARE SO RIGHT!!!

If it hadn’t been for the sorry Coaching FUBeAR received from that Caldwell fella, he would’ve prolly never missed a block AND his bust would be residing in Atlanta (CFHoF) and Canton right now.

DANGIT!!!
 #80926  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:22 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Bad coaching....come on man
If Anderson had the ball and fumbled you would have said should have played the freshman......Maybe Wofford made a good play...maybe if 77 or 75 would have blocked better he would have not have fumbled?

Shit happens....it should have never came down to one play in this game......We...entire team wet the bed....now we need to nut up and right the ship.....
Looks to me like Jones never really had control of the ball. Hicks therefore never had a shot to secure it either. Play's open. The hole is there. Neither of our backfield guys could secure the football.

Two thoughts on this play:

1. I wonder how many times Jones has taken a snap under center in live-fire short yardage situations. He's a backup QB. We run primarily out of the shotgun and I'm pretty sure he played in a pretty spread open offense at Maryville.

2. You watch this and a few other plays and just realize that the football gods were unkind to us yesterday. Wofford played their butts off, but man, stuff like this makes you realize it just wasn't going to be a good day for the purple and white.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.