• VMI

#79714  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 am
So what constitutes a sprain? BTW remember CCH said after TH came out of the medical tent he grabbed a football and started throwing so that is a good sign. CCH said they were not going to let him go back in.
 #79715  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:38 am
All things considered, I think it is positive that Huff landed on his shoulder underneath him. While it's his throwing arm, he certainly popped back up.

As a sidenote, I don't love running a play where we opt not to block the best defensive player in the Southern Conference. That seems a poor choice.

#79717  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 am
So what constitutes a sprain? BTW remember CCH said after TH came out of the medical tent he grabbed a football and started throwing so that is a good sign. CCH said they were not going to let him go back in.
A separation is a sprain of the A/C joint.
apaladin liked this
 #79727  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
All things considered, I think it is positive that Huff landed on his shoulder underneath him. While it's his throwing arm, he certainly popped back up.

As a sidenote, I don't love running a play where we opt not to block the best defensive player in the Southern Conference. That seems a poor choice.

Yeah - I think he rolled just enough before hitting the ground that it wasn't right on the point - which could have been much worse - broken collar bone, etc.

And - was just talking about this play with an old FU QB / SS - It's obviously Slide Left Protection (would have been a 50 (odd number - 57, 59 or such) Series PassPro in FUBeAR's day)...and either the RB went the wrong way (p/s instead of b/s) OR #6 knew (or should have known) that dude was not gonna be blocked and it's his job to get rid of the ball in 1.X seconds or get on his giddy-up and get the heck out of there OR 1 or more of the Trips Retrievers extended their route(s) too far before they stemmed into their break.

So....we can blame the OL for the Sack ... or we can learn / understand a little more about Football
FurmanATT liked this
 #79739  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Yeah - I think he rolled just enough before hitting the ground that it wasn't right on the point - which could have been much worse - broken collar bone, etc.

And - was just talking about this play with an old FU QB / SS - It's obviously Slide Left Protection (would have been a 50 (odd number - 57, 59 or such) Series PassPro in FUBeAR's day)...and either the RB went the wrong way (p/s instead of b/s) OR #6 knew (or should have known) that dude was not gonna be blocked and it's his job to get rid of the ball in 1.X seconds or get on his giddy-up and get the heck out of there OR 1 or more of the Trips Retrievers extended their route(s) too far before they stemmed into their break.

So....we can blame the OL for the Sack ... or we can learn / understand a little more about Football

I'm not sure anyone "missed" a block. It appears to essentially be a sprint out with all of the protection moving to the sprint side. I presume the end man on the back side is supposed to be left unblocked and the ball is supposed to come out quick.

Not exactly the same, but it's similar to this play Furman ran for a TD against Samford. Everyone moves one direction and all the receivers run short quick routes.

I don't think anyone is really to "blame" on the UTC play. I'm not sure it's a great call against Jay Person, who was essentially in a wide 9 technique well outside the tackle.

The play call gives Person no reason to do anything but run like a tomahawk missile right at Huff. We aren't blocking him. There's no threat of anyone getting around him. As soon as the RB runs away from him he's full speed.

Huff looked ready to throw right at the top of his hitch. I suspect he saw Person out of the corner of his eye and tried to brace for impact. Honestly, we can probably run that type of play against a lot of teams, we just couldn't run it against Chattanooga with that guy on the backside.
 #79750  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I'm not sure anyone "missed" a block. It appears to essentially be a sprint out with all of the protection moving to the sprint side. I presume the end man on the back side is supposed to be left unblocked and the ball is supposed to come out quick.

Not exactly the same, but it's similar to this play Furman ran for a TD against Samford. Everyone moves one direction and all the receivers run short quick routes.

I don't think anyone is really to "blame" on the UTC play. I'm not sure it's a great call against Jay Person, who was essentially in a wide 9 technique well outside the tackle.

The play call gives Person no reason to do anything but run like a tomahawk missile right at Huff. We aren't blocking him. There's no threat of anyone getting around him. As soon as the RB runs away from him he's full speed.

Huff looked ready to throw right at the top of his hitch. I suspect he saw Person out of the corner of his eye and tried to brace for impact. Honestly, we can probably run that type of play against a lot of teams, we just couldn't run it against Chattanooga with that guy on the backside.
Right. I don’t think anyone said it was the OL.

What I do see is a NASTY KILLER in Person. Credit to Chatt on always having some of the best DL and LBs. Especially DL. I swear they have a DL at a pro day or practice squad almost annually.

Credit to that dude. He’s a talent for sure.

I’d really like to see who coaches scheme for and truly ‘fear’ (game plan for) on opponents teams. Not just numbers as some guys play more (IE we rotate a lot on D).
 #79761  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:23 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:09 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:09 pm
Honoring 41 guys.

Anyone know how many of those 41 could still come back next season?
On this weeks 2 deep I count 12 grads and 10 redshirt seniors. I assume the 10 redshirt seniors would have a year left if they want it. Maybe a grad or 2 has eligibility left? BTW on the 2 deep at QB it is listed Carson Jones or Tyler Huff but we would all be shocked if TH is even dressed.
 #79764  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:23 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:09 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:09 pm
Honoring 41 guys.

Anyone know how many of those 41 could still come back next season?
On this weeks 2 deep I count 12 grads and 10 redshirt seniors. I assume the 10 redshirt seniors would have a year left if they want it. Maybe a grad or 2 has eligibility left? BTW on the 2 deep at QB it is listed Carson Jones or Tyler Huff but we would all be shocked if TH is even dressed.
Right on Huff. Only other thing I see is Blackshear as “or”. Look, VMI has my full respect and is improving for sure. But we might see Blackshear limited. I think he only played some v UTC. Has to be hard to tackle ….

Sucketh to say but would be nice to win by 25 or so because apparently a sexy win matters. However I see us running a lot … not that you can’t win big that way it just eat clock
apaladin liked this
 #79768  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:45 am
Watched a bit of VMI:

- Depth chart wise they look like they've maintained a lot of health this season, which probably has helped their rapid improvement. According to their game notes, they've had largely the same starting lineup every game.

- For a military school, they've got more size than you'd expect. Outside of a center listed at 240lbs, they at least look physically big enough to hold up at just about every position.

- Offensively, from what I've seen it is sort of a builder basic spread offense. They'll go under center some, but nothing jumps off the page to you in terms of scheme or style.

- The QB, Ironside, can throw. He's not a feature runner, but they'll let him tuck it and take off with it.

- The offensive line appears to be a weakness. VMI has surrendered 27 sacks in 9 games, which is only one fewer than Samford, which has attempted 120 more passes this season. That could be a big point of emphasis against Furman's relentless pass rush.

- Given the struggles of the offensive line, a lot of the VMI passing game tends to be pretty quick stuff. Ball out to the edge, slants, etc. They don't seem to take a lot of shots downfield.

- The RB, Rice, is a good player. He's a big back (6'0 225) akin to what we've seen out of VMI over the years.

- Defensively, they appear well coached. They are a sort of "traditional" 3-4 defense with three defensive linemen and four linebackers. From what I've seen, they are a little unique in that their outside linebackers are true linebackers - not hybrid safeties. They'll certainly substitute extra DBs in the game, but their two OLBs are listed at 6'1 225 and 6'4 230.

- With bigger bodies at linebacker, the Keydets look like they'll walk up, drop back, and rush just about anyone in the front seven. Jones and the OL are going to have to quickly diagnose who is coming and who is dropping into coverage. They definitely seem to want to drop guys into the slant lanes.

This is not a team to take lightly. I think our defense will be able to disrupt their offense. Their defense, though, looks well-coached and is going to throw a lot of different looks at a freshman QB. I think Furman needs to play a field position type of game early and see if we can't get the running game going.
 #79770  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:22 am
The Keydets pulled R-Jr QB Collin Ironside after this play in the 4th quarter of their game vs. Chatt.

2nd and 8 at UTC8 - Ironside,Collin pass intercepted by Walker, Jordan at UTC00, Touchback.

He was replaced by R-Fr QB Collin Shannon and has not played since. Shannon took all the snaps against ETSU.

Haven’t discerned a great deal of difference between the 2. Coach Rocco obviously thinks Collin the Younger gives the Keydets a better chance to win.
 #79778  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:39 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:22 am
The Keydets pulled R-Jr QB Collin Ironside after this play in the 4th quarter of their game vs. Chatt.

2nd and 8 at UTC8 - Ironside,Collin pass intercepted by Walker, Jordan at UTC00, Touchback.

He was replaced by R-Fr QB Collin Shannon and has not played since. Shannon took all the snaps against ETSU.

Haven’t discerned a great deal of difference between the 2. Coach Rocco obviously thinks Collin the Younger gives the Keydets a better chance to win.
At least on the two deep, Ironside is still listed the starter. I agree, though, I don't see a huge difference between them. They appear to have similar physical tools and preparing for one will be akin to preparing for the other.
 #79779  by The Jackal
Also appears they are prone to use their RB, Rice, as a wildcat QB a fair amount, especially in short yardage situation.
 #79795  by KingPaladin
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Also appears they are prone to use their RB, Rice, as a wildcat QB a fair amount, especially in short yardage situation.
Negative rushing yards incoming on those plays

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FurmanFan23

Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.