• VMI

#80012  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:37 pm
silentbob wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:45 pm
Any word on when they're going to close down Main Street in Lexington for the parade to celebrate VMI's field goal with two minutes left against Furman's C-team?

If I was a VMI fan, I'd be more embarrassed by those final 2 minutes (the field goal, calling timeout with 25 seconds left to make Furman punt and then obliterating the punter) than anything that happened in the first 58.

I was particularly surprised by trying to mount a big drive down 34 points with 14 seconds and getting your QB blown up again.
 #80015  by Flagman
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 pm
silentbob wrote:
Any word on when they're going to close down Main Street in Lexington for the parade to celebrate VMI's field goal with two minutes left against Furman's C-team?

If I was a VMI fan, I'd be more embarrassed by those final 2 minutes (the field goal, calling timeout with 25 seconds left to make Furman punt and then obliterating the punter) than anything that happened in the first 58.
Did the referee have his eyes closed on the punter hit? He could have saved the VMI QB a lot of pain.
QCGlue liked this
 #80018  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:27 pm
silentbob wrote:

Welcome back silentbob!
furpop16, gman84 liked this
 #80039  by GOAT
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:14 am
Congratulation to the players and coaches. Proud of this championship.
dornb, Purple rain liked this
 #80154  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:22 am
Does anyone have any idea how they determine what targeting is or is not? Watching the replay and on the Harris punt return when they reviewed it for targeting, how did they determine it was not targeting? VMI dude led with his helmet made good contact with Harris’ helmet as he was going down(defenseless). 😳😳
 #80163  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:48 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:22 am
Does anyone have any idea how they determine what targeting is or is not? Watching the replay and on the Harris punt return when they reviewed it for targeting, how did they determine it was not targeting? VMI dude led with his helmet made good contact with Harris’ helmet as he was going down(defenseless). 😳😳
FUBeAR thought he was finally getting a handle on it and his predictions of rulings was improving…but that one blew FUBeAR’s record out of the water.

FUBeAR ‘called’ that LIVE…even though no flag was thrown. So, he was pleased with himself when there was a booth-induced review. But…then “no targeting” - led with the crown - helmet to helmet - that’s enough - don’t need launch or intent to harm … or defenseless …duck your head to bang it into their head and you are targeting…cannot explain their call … other than sympathy for VMI.

Back to the lab….
QCGlue liked this
 #80165  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:39 am
My view of the play is the referees must have assumed he did not use the "crown of the helmet." The rule book, I believe, defines that as the area above the facemask.

I suppose the determination of "crown" is probably a matter of centimeters, especially when played at full speed in a game where players are of different heights.

It does appear that it was not called on the field, but there was a buzz from a replay official.
 #80169  by Bootie
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:45 am
I am simply in disagreement with the rule-makers on what should constitute targeting.

To my eyes, that hit appeared to me much like Hugh Ryan’s at Chatt, and much like one last night on MNF… If I wrote the rules, I’d say any defender who appears to turn their body in a way as to hit with the shoulder (demonstrating an intent to avoid direct helmet-leading contact), shall be cleared of targeting.
 #80170  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:42 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:45 am
I am simply in disagreement with the rule-makers on what should constitute targeting.

To my eyes, that hit appeared to me much like Hugh Ryan’s at Chatt, and much like one last night on MNF… If I wrote the rules, I’d say any defender who appears to turn their body in a way as to hit with the shoulder (demonstrating an intent to avoid direct helmet-leading contact), shall be cleared of targeting.
Ahh….Targeting for breakfast…

By the existing rules, FUBeAR felt the Targeting call on Ryan was correct. The Receiver met the definition of “Defenseless” in that he had not yet ‘turned himself’ into a ball carrier.

“A player attempting to catch a forward or backward pass, or a player who has completed the catch but hasn’t had time to protect himself or hasn’t clearly become the ball carrier yet”

Ryan clearly hit him in the head/neck area. Ryan hit him with a few body parts, but certainly it was 1 or more of…

“helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow.”

So…it’s not just helmet-to-helmet contact AND/OR using the helmet as a weapon that the NCAA rule aspires to curtail, it’s more broad than that…so…instead of your thoughtful and reasonable suggestion, maybe they should break the targeting rule up into a few different penalty types and they could even carry differing penalties (if desired). It’s obvious Fans, Players, and Officials don’t have a great grasp on how it’s currently constructed.

So, maybe we have…

“Spearing” (old school, huh) - which is the “using the helmet as a weapon” component

AND

“Ambushing” - for the Defenseless version, which doesn’t even need to involve either helmet - clotheslining a receiver’s neck who was going up to make a catch across the middle with your forearm would fall into this category. And let’s pause here for a moment of silence in tribute to the late great Jack Tatum. He is dearly missed.

That should cover it actually…then write the rules around those 2 and FUBeAR thinks everyone would understand it better

And Jackal is correct, it can come down to centimeters…except this is AMERICAN Football…not Soccer, so we measure stuff in inches, not using the Communist Metronome System…

Starting with the 2022 season, the rulebook’s definition of “crown of the helmet” was updated to more precisely focus on the top of the helmet and is now defined as “the top segment of the helmet; namely, the circular area defined by a 6-inch radius from the apex (top) of the helmet.”

…and that may be why the VMI guy got off … but, y’know..there’s always been a lot of controversy about how different people and even different genders (or sexes, whichever is correct) perceive 6 inches. Hopefully the replay/booth Officials all have healthy self-images.
Mr. Taggart, Bootie liked this
 #80181  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 am
It's just important to remember there are two types of targeting.

1. "Defenseless player," which requires the forcible contact to the head or neck. For instance, the hit that knocked Josh Harris from the Samford game was clear targeting.

2. "Non-defenseless player" (I guess), which requires pretty much some sort of helmet to helmet contact with the top of the head. Harris, on Saturday, was not a defenseless player as he was running with the football. So, the rule is a lot narrower.

The crown of the helmet idea applies to both types of players. However, the defenseless player rule is a lot broader and applies to all sorts of forcible contact initiated in a much broader target area.
 #80261  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:53 pm
#1 I think he was pretty defenseless as someone had him by the legs.
 #80296  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:52 pm
Just did the count. Furman played 80 different players against VMI.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FUBF24

Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.