• SoCon Title/Playoffs

#79918  by Roundball
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Don't look now, but Weber State is up on #4 Idaho and driving inside the 5.

Idaho losing would be huge for Furman. That's one of those teams people think could jump us in the standings with a stronger strength of schedule
Weber State holds on for the win.
gman84, dornb, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #79921  by purplehorse123
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:25 pm
Need Montane to lose tonight.

Montana State has 2 FCS losses and Montana 1.

Seems to me that if you don’t lose an FCS game you should be ahead of those two teams .
dornb liked this
 #79924  by FUpaladin08
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:40 pm
I’d say best chance is for MSU to beat Montana, but that could be tough in Wash-Griz. I think with the 2 FCS losses Furman would stay ahead of MSU. But yea, I’ll take all the Montana losses we can get.
MNORM liked this
 #79931  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:07 pm
Idaho losing is huge for Furman.

If Furman can beat Wofford, then the only team that seems likely to potentially jump Furman is the winner of the Montana/MSU.
 #79932  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:07 pm
Idaho losing is huge for Furman.

If Furman can beat Wofford, then the only team that seems likely to potentially jump Furman is the winner of the Montana/MSU.
And of those two, Montana is the more likely one to jump as they would only have 1 loss like us, have 4 ranked wins, and a better strength of schedule. With that said, and FUbear has put the numbers to this point in multiple places, Montana would have a much worse loss (NAU vs FBS South Carolina) and a close win vs D2 Ferris St. Not sure how the committee would view a win over Butler vs The Citadel or Wofford. We would get to see what the committee values more: no FCS losses or more ranked wins/strength of schedule.

Got to beat Wofford first and wouldn't hurt to win by 3 scores if possible.

I wasn't confident we were going to hold on to the 2 spot, but Idaho losing was really big.

One interesting thing that happened today that wasn't expected was NCCU losing to Howard. NCCU is now in danger of not making the MEAC championship. They need to win next week and Howard needs to lose. If that doesn't happen. NCCU would definitely get a bid and potentially steal one from a team like UTC.
FUBeAR liked this
 #79933  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:31 pm
I'm still of the opinion that Furman isn't doing anything to have the committee put someone in front of them.

Strength of schedule matters, but Furman also has three ranked wins. So, they aren't a team that just hasn't played anyone, it just happens that a couple of teams on their schedule were just really weak this year.

Furman's gotta beat Wofford, and that's all they can control.
bj93 liked this
 #79937  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that Furman isn't doing anything to have the committee put someone in front of them.
The same committee that put a 10-1 Samford team as the 6 seed despite their only loss being to reigning national champion UGA?

You’ll have to forgive me for not trusting them.

I know it has to do with where we/they started, and I don’t disagree with you, but they have not been super kind to SoCon teams. Same thing happened to the Citadel when they went 10-1 a decade ago (?) I think. I hope times are changing but we’ll see.

As we’ve both said, just have to beat Wofford as that’s all we can control.
bj93, paladinfan12 liked this
 #79946  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 pm
So besides FU the 3 other playoff contenders are likely to all be 6-2 with all losing to FU and all 3 being 1-1 aganst each other. Overall Mercer 8-3 so probably in, WCU is likely to finish 8-3 and will be in so that leaves UTC out at 7-4, correct?
 #79948  by purplehorse123
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:02 am
Beat Wofford soundly.

Montana State beat Montana.

Hope we are seeded # 2.

If not, hope someone upsets the # 2 seed in the playoffs. And maybe the weather in Montana will be warm for the season if we had to travel there.

We have done all we can do.

What is the point of the committee showing us how the teams were ranked a month before the end of the season if a team can win out and drop in the rankings? Crazy!
FurmAlum, dornb liked this
 #79953  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:30 am
apaladin wrote:
So besides FU the 3 other playoff contenders are likely to all be 6-2 with all losing to FU and all 3 being 1-1 aganst each other. Overall Mercer 8-3 so probably in, WCU is likely to finish 8-3 and will be in so that leaves UTC out at 7-4, correct?
No or Yes

Chatt’s AD is on the Committee. That matters.

Chatt beat Mercer H2H @ Mercer by 12 and that MAY matter.

NCCU may be in the Playoffs instead of the Celebration Bowl. That could matter.

Nothing cut & dried at this point.
 #79970  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:36 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:30 am
apaladin wrote:
No or Yes

Chatt’s AD is on the Committee. That matters.

Chatt beat Mercer H2H @ Mercer by 12 and that MAY matter.

NCCU may be in the Playoffs instead of the Celebration Bowl. That could matter.

Nothing cut & dried at this point.
NCCU not winning the MEAC may steal a bid from a SoCon team.
 #79971  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
The same committee that put a 10-1 Samford team as the 6 seed despite their only loss being to reigning national champion UGA?

You’ll have to forgive me for not trusting them.

I know it has to do with where we/they started, and I don’t disagree with you, but they have not been super kind to SoCon teams. Same thing happened to the Citadel when they went 10-1 a decade ago (?) I think. I hope times are changing but we’ll see.

As we’ve both said, just have to beat Wofford as that’s all we can control.
I get the sentiment, but I think there has to be some context.

Last season, Samford was 10-1 and the #6 seed. As I noted earlier, they were unranked to begin the season and took a long slow climb up the standings.

Remember too who was in front of them: 10-1 SDSU, 11-0 Sac State, 10-1 MSU, 9-2 NDSU, 10-1 W&M.

Those top 5 or so teams stayed pretty consistent the entire season. There just wasn't a lot of space for Samford to jump up in the rankings.

Samford ended up jumping 10-1 UIW and 11-0 Holy Cross for a seed. Those teams didn't have probably close to the same strength of schedule.

Essentially, Samford had to have the resume and the argument to displace teams in front of them. This year, other teams have to have the argument to displace Furman. It's certainly not anything Furman is doing.
MNORM, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #79974  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:30 am
My general survey:

1. Beat Wofford.

2. If we beat Wofford, I would think we'd be no worse than the #3 seed. We may flip flop with whomever wins the MSU/UM game. I don't really see another team in the "pack" jumping Furman at that point.

3. A #3 seed would keep us at home until the semis with a potential trip to somewhere Montana (either Bozeman or Missoula in the semis). A #2 seed would keep us at home until the national title game.

4. There's a lot of moving parts still on the field as to who we could potentially draw in a second round game. With NCCU losing, Gardner Webb likely to make the field, WCU likely to make the field, etc., and Furman being potentially the only seeded team in the Southeast, the second round opponent could come from just about anywhere.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by FurmanFan23

Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am

User avatar SOCON Landscape Next Year

by FU Hoopla

Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.