• Incarnate Word

#61981  by Louis Tully
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:40 pm
Richmond prolly feels like us. Every opportunity to win but lost to Sac. St. 38-31. Really wasn’t that impressed with either team but they played in a steady rain so that was a factor.
Brutal conditions in Sacramento.
 #61982  by dornb
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:45 pm
I am very proud of our coaches and players for a wonderful and fun season! I wish we could have pulled it out today, but we did not quit. I bet UIW was surprised at how well we played against them and how close we came to winning. Good luck to them as they move forward. I can't wait for next season!
Rokawaylifer, Bootie, Affirm and 6 others liked this
 #61983  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:49 pm
dornb wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:45 pm
I am very proud of our coaches and players for a wonderful and fun season! I wish we could have pulled it out today, but we did not quit. I bet UIW was surprised at how well we played against them and how close we came to winning. Good luck to them as they move forward. I can't wait for next season!
Well said!! 👍
Affirm liked this
 #61986  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 pm
Besides FU and UR SE La had a hearbreaker against Sammy. They tied it in the last minute then got it first in the OT. QB runs for a first down at the SU 5 gets hit loses the ball that looks like its going out of bounds SEL would have retained possession, but it hits the pylon and stays inbounds and SU recoverd. SU scored on their possession in a couple of plays.
 #61992  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:13 pm
It’s going to take awhile to get over that one. I wish we had let Huff run more but they were probably looking for it.

I think if we didn’t have the holding call we would have gone on to win. We had a little more space and a fresh set of downs but who knows.

Thought we should not have gone for the home run ball with 3 timeouts left.

But that was a gutsy exiting comeback and there is no quit in this team. I hope as many players as possible come back next year!
FUBeAR, dornb, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #61996  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:22 am
CCH acted like he was not happy with the holding call. Said it was the only call that ref made all day. Just looked at that play, such a BS call. Now I feel even worse. We most likely win the game without that call.
 #61997  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:01 am
No way do I ever pull for UIW with their I’m-at-my-fifth-college-in-7-years (including LAST CHANCE U from ESPN). I hope they get their azzzz KICKED. And hard

I have a new team I HATE

Bunch a rental players. “The nose tackle from X school” etc per the announcers.

Coach can’t adjust at halftime - we KILLED them on halftime adjustments. They just win on talent. And an easy league.

————
Our issues today
- PENATIES ON OL. DAM man quit jumping pre-snap. I mean it was our all conference guys doing it over and over. You’ve been together FOREVER. Those were killer penalties
- inability to run consistently. Credit to the UIW DL.
- inability to stay with UIW receivers. Like with western - this concerned me - we struggle with WRs who are a little faster and longer. At least keep them in front of you
- lose contain on QB runs is still an issue. They commented how Scott usually didn’t run this much during year. Clearly UIW saw a weakness and encouraged him to take off. Also he EMBARRASSED some of our defenders. He did. Broke their freakin ankles. IE we blitz so he escapes but it should a been a seven yard gain. He drops a LB with his athleticism and gets 20
 #61998  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:15 am
I’m proud of Furman. Great year

But One thing I have to say. Everyone was all about “just get ‘em into 4th quarter and they haven’t had tough fights or close games late”. How did that work out? Not. Too. Good. Their WRs are just too fast for us. They are. I mean cmon they out gained us by what, THREE HUNDRED YARDS!!!!! They are like a super version of western Carolina

And their D was LEGIT. we couldn’t run well enough. We had what, 3 points from real offense in first half?

Also their backs and QB as well as WRs were just so athletic. We often missed the back on first tackle and had to gang tackle or they would break for 4 more yards. It just seemed their skill players were a fair bit more athletic than ours. No doubt their WRs kept getting behind our DBs. Just fact. We never could get behind their DBs for anything like their 80 yard TD. the Harris one was the closest but their defender fell there
 #62011  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:25 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:15 am
I’m proud of Furman. Great year

But One thing I have to say. Everyone was all about “just get ‘em into 4th quarter and they haven’t had tough fights or close games late”. How did that work out? Not. Too. Good. Their WRs are just too fast for us. They are. I mean cmon they out gained us by what, THREE HUNDRED YARDS!!!!! They are like a super version of western Carolina

And their D was LEGIT. we couldn’t run well enough. We had what, 3 points from real offense in first half?

Also their backs and QB as well as WRs were just so athletic. We often missed the back on first tackle and had to gang tackle or they would break for 4 more yards. It just seemed their skill players were a fair bit more athletic than ours. No doubt their WRs kept getting behind our DBs. Just fact. We never could get behind their DBs for anything like their 80 yard TD. the Harris one was the closest but their defender fell there
You mean other than the deep throw where our WR got behind the defenders, our WRs could never get behind their defenders?

We struggled with their quickness and speed in the first half, but made adjustments in the second half and really shut them down for much of the game. They were always going to get yards. Hendrix said early on this was not going to be a defensive slugfest. It was the type of game most people were expecting.

That was the best offense in the FCS. They are tops in virtually every category for a reason. They made more plays than we did down the stretch.

We don't have to dissect this too much - We faced a very good football team that has basically run straight through every team they've faced this year. We took their best shot coming off an off week and playing at home. We fought our tails off and came off just short.
dornb, Affirm, gman84 liked this
 #62013  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:00 am
. . . and another thing.

The same defensive back was flagged for pass interference at least three times against Harris.

Put another way, Harris was running past him and he was jumping on his back or grabbing his arm or jersey.

There were half a dozen instances where Furman receivers had a step on UIW DBs and were slowed down by being grabbed, yanked, pushed, or held. Some were called. Some were not.
 #62017  by gman84
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 am
To follow Jackal’s points…I don’t get worked up over officiating as long as they are consistent for both teams. Obviously IWU coaches their dbs to play that way. It will be interesting to follow the remaining games and watch their technique. We will learn from this one and adjust. Like Astro said in another post, this was not a one season wonder for us. We will return next season as a more experienced team. We can also see how IMPORTANT a seed is!
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #62019  by saltyshaker
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:34 am
about 60 years ago there was a school in iowa called parsons.not sure it is still there.they played football and were quite good.most of their players were transfers from big ten schools.we played them at home and they beat us maybe 20-7 or so.somehow iw made me think of them.from their collection of transfers to their one year rent a coach there seem to be similarities.
they have superior athletes but no tradition and few if any ethics.no i will not pull for them.
 #62023  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am
I think the dislike for UIW is a little misplaced and feels a bit like virtue signaling since we aren’t built like that. I’ve seen no reason to question the school or their coaches’/players’ ethics based on everything I’ve seen and read. And I don’t think they care whether or not we “pull for them.” Would any of us care if the scenario was reversed?

If the coach has an ability to move up quick then that’s his right and it doesn’t always mean he did anything wrong or sleazy. (He might be, I don’t know) Just like it’s not wrong for a player to try and find what’s best for him in the way the football landscape is set up now. There are going to be a LOT of transfer heavy teams we see going forward. They aren’t doing anything illegal based on what the NCAA has created.

And it’s hard for a program that started 10ish years ago to have tradition. To get to the point they have in that time is impressive. I’m not saying I’m an UIW fan but some of talk coming from a few people on here and other sites sounds like sour grapes.

Based on the way some of our fans have posted the last couple of weeks (not necessarily here), I’m starting to see why a lot of teams don’t like us. Not that anyone should care. Just an observation.

Hat tip to UIW. They made more plays than us. We gave it a great effort and might have won it if there or one or two decisions late that go the other way. They didn’t though. It stings but we don’t need to trash another school because of it. I like to think most Furman people are better than that.
din23, dornb liked this
 #62029  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:25 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am
I think the dislike for UIW is a little misplaced and feels a bit like virtue signaling since we aren’t built like that. I’ve seen no reason to question the school or their coaches’/players’ ethics based on everything I’ve seen and read. And I don’t think they care whether or not we “pull for them.” Would any of us care if the scenario was reversed?

If the coach has an ability to move up quick then that’s his right and it doesn’t always mean he did anything wrong or sleazy. (He might be, I don’t know) Just like it’s not wrong for a player to try and find what’s best for him in the way the football landscape is set up now. There are going to be a LOT of transfer heavy teams we see going forward. They aren’t doing anything illegal based on what the NCAA has created.

And it’s hard for a program that started 10ish years ago to have tradition. To get to the point they have in that time is impressive. I’m not saying I’m an UIW fan but some of talk coming from a few people on here and other sites sounds like sour grapes.

Based on the way some of our fans have posted the last couple of weeks (not necessarily here), I’m starting to see why a lot of teams don’t like us. Not that anyone should care. Just an observation.

Hat tip to UIW. They made more plays than us. We gave it a great effort and might have won it if there or one or two decisions late that go the other way. They didn’t though. It stings but we don’t need to trash another school because of it. I like to think most Furman people are better than that.

Thank you Deputy Sheriff Barney Fife :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#62036  by Roundball
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33 am
"Furman football falls to Incarnate Word in Round 2 of FCS playoffs, 41-38."https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 693185007/

The three takeaways from the game (from the article).
1. "DB Cally Chizik and Furman defense keep Paladins in the game."
2. "Furman's offense didn't show up in the 1st half and lost because of it."
3. "Incarnate Word's potent offense stalled in 2nd half."

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUBeAR

Sat May 04, 2024 7:34 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Sat May 04, 2024 5:12 pm

Default Avatar Absence dulls the spring

by Affirm

Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by apaladin

Sat May 04, 2024 11:00 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.