Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:54 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:50 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:49 pm
Should have kept Huff with the run option. You don’t get the td with 3 timeouts and you still have the fg for the tie. Bad late game strategy.
Totally. You get it and understand football. T like some on here who are triggered by any skepticism at all.

The safety made a play. The ball was thrown right where he wanted to put it.
He threw into coverage- obviously didn’t see the safety. Too high risk with that much time on the clock. We were already in fg range with 3 timeouts. Not smart at all.
think he put a little too much air under it. Its meant to be thrown when only the receiver can get it. it was short. It happens...
It does happen. Just not a call or play I would try to have my qb make with season on the line and a good chance at winning or tying with lower risk playcalls.
hypercycloid liked this
 #61954  by Paladin83
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:03 pm
Team showed some heart with a nice comeback, but it’s hard to win a game when you only play well for 20 minutes. Hopefully with a lot of returning players next year, we can fix the inconsistency and blown coverages in the secondary. Future looks bright!
bj93, dornb, din23 liked this
 #61955  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:04 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:00 pm
great season guys.sutsy 2nd half comeback.good halftime adjustments by coaches.thanks guys.

We played the nation's top offense. Took their best shot, and was able to fight back.

UIW made a few more plays late in the game. That was the difference.

Our guys played their butts off. Was proud of their effort.
Roundball, dornb, Bootie and 4 others liked this
 #61956  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:08 pm
Great season. Exceeded expectations. Hard to be disappointed. Now…next year…expectations will be higher. 😉

Announcers kept saying that Huff has two more years and will begin working on his Doctorate. Can anyone confirm this?
 #61957  by Paladin91
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Kennypowers wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
Should have kept Huff with the run option. You don’t get the td with 3 timeouts and you still have the fg for the tie. Bad late game strategy.
Totally. You get it and understand football. T like some on here who are triggered by any skepticism at all.

He threw into coverage- obviously didn’t see the safety. Too high risk with that much time on the clock. We were already in fg range with 3 timeouts. Not smart at all.
They'd spent the entire second half stacking the box. If you are playing for a field goal, then fine, run the option and run the ball. If you are playing to win the game, throw downfield.

They'd been in man coverage virtually the entire drive. You'll take Miller in man on just about anyone. They ran a two deep zone on that throw and the safety made a great play on the ball.

We'd all like to have that back, but the coaching staff made a call, went for the win, and it didn't work out.
Yep, they gambled the farm away. With 1:30 or whatever was on the clock at that point, you could have easily moved the ball 20 yds in 1 min. Huff got us there on his legs a make him mobile or set up a high % screen. Just too much time on the clock to be going for broke. Game was in our hands and we flubbed it.
bj93 liked this
 #61958  by Roundball
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Great season. Exceeded expectations. Hard to be disappointed. Now…next year…expectations will be higher. 😉

Announcers kept saying that Huff has two more years and will begin working on his Doctorate. Can anyone confirm this?
His bio says he came to Furman with 2 years of eligibility left. I assume that means he has 1 year left if he decides to come back. Seeing how he will be pursuing his doctorate, I doubt he comes back. I sure hope he does.
 #61959  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:19 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

His bio says he came to Furman with 2 years of eligibility left. I assume that means he has 1 year left if he decides to come back. Seeing how he will be pursuing his doctorate, I doubt he comes back. I sure hope he does.

I've heard - not sure where - that Huff can use his "COVID year" if he wants to

Played in 2019, 2020 doesn't count, 2021 played only in four games and could have redshirted, played in 2022.

So, he's only played two full "counting" years (2019 and 2022).
 #61963  by fu77fan
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 pm
Unfortunately, after we took the lead 38-34 , and then stopped them on D ,we made mistakes that allowed them to win.
1. Holding penalty that prevented us from getting a first down and pushed us back .
2.3rd and 10 TD pass
3. Attempted pass to Miller, a bad decision throwing into double coverage.

We literally had the game won!
A tough loss for sure !
 #61967  by JohnKX512
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:34 pm
That was fun. Would love a rematch.

Good luck to the Incredible World cordials. They will be fun to watch.
 #61972  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
Proud of the Paladins. For you negative nannies, find another team to not support. You don’t deserve to be a Paladin.
FU
 #61974  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:18 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Kennypowers wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:

They'd spent the entire second half stacking the box. If you are playing for a field goal, then fine, run the option and run the ball. If you are playing to win the game, throw downfield.

They'd been in man coverage virtually the entire drive. You'll take Miller in man on just about anyone. They ran a two deep zone on that throw and the safety made a great play on the ball.

We'd all like to have that back, but the coaching staff made a call, went for the win, and it didn't work out.
Yep, they gambled the farm away. With 1:30 or whatever was on the clock at that point, you could have easily moved the ball 20 yds in 1 min. Huff got us there on his legs a make him mobile or set up a high % screen. Just too much time on the clock to be going for broke. Game was in our hands and we flubbed it.
Even if Miller scores we would have given them too much time. Oh well, still a great season and kudos to all involved. For the first time since 2005 it looks like FU can be a contender,
dornb liked this
 #61975  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:24 pm
We almost won the game despite among other things our offense scoring virtually only 3 points in the first half and being out of sync and Huff being a little off on a fair # of passes as well as our defense giving up 438 yards in the first half.

We played well enough to win in the second half. Huff’s running was great but I don’t think he had his best passing game (16 for 28 and two interceptions).

I think going for the long pass with first down at the 35 and 1:49 in the game and 3 TO’s was a mistake. Let Huff run a few plays and see what happens. Worse case scenario we should have gotten a FG and gone to OT. Good comeback but the hole was too deep.

We still need to work on our long pass defense.

Great season. We were two defensive plays away from two playoff wins for the first time since 2005. We played much better than we did in 2019 in our playoff loss to Austin Peay. I would hope we would use this playoff game experience to help us be better next year.

I am back to my level of excitement before the suboptimal COVID 2021 spring and fall seasons. I hope we are back!
Last edited by purplehorse123 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bj93, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #61977  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:34 pm
We aren’t quite where we want to be, but damn, we seem to finally be heading in the right direction. Kids who don’t quit. Coaches who can actually make adjustments that work. An obvious mojo. Total transformation of this program. Can’t wait for next year.
bj93, apaladin, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #61980  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:40 pm
Richmond prolly feels like us. Every opportunity to win but lost to Sac. St. 38-31. Really wasn’t that impressed with either team but they played in a steady rain so that was a factor.

Recent Topics

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by furpop16

Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.