• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#41641  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm
Their fans seem really excited about their first game in nearly 2 years. They say they will fill the visitors side and bring their large band. Looking forward to the opener. Could be the largest PS crowd in years. I think if we had made it a night game it would be packed or close to it.
dornb, DoomedDin1127, QCGlue liked this
 #41652  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm
Their fans seem really excited about their first game in nearly 2 years. They say they will fill the visitors side and bring their large band. Looking forward to the opener. Could be the largest PS crowd in years. I think if we had made it a night game it would be packed or close to it.

They may, but I doubt it.

Furman's visitor side holds approximately 6k fans. NC A&T probably travels better than most visiting squads, but I haven't seen a visiting team come close to filling up the visitor side since Georgia Southern.

The NC A&T band is pretty big, but they report about 220 members. That's roughly half the size of WCU's Pride of the Mountains or JSU's Marching Southerners.

Just looking at historic trends, A&T doesn't appear to slam out visiting stadiums. Maybe they will have an increased level of excitement with missing last year and playing in a new conference, but I doubt we'll see anything approaching 16k.
 #41654  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:06 pm
We need to make sure we are not outnumbered by the Visitors and fill the Home side too!
Yep…we don’t wanna be Outmanned, Outfanned, and OutBand*…again.

* Quip Credits (circa 1982) to Coach Robert E. Caldwell, i.e., NOT a FUBeAR original
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPurple, Davemeister, Chuckles and 1 others liked this
 #41657  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 am
It is highly possible that we will have the largest crowd in years, without having to spend a dime on advertising the game.
 #41658  by DeepPurple
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:34 am
I am excited for game 1. I sure hope this covid mess does not show its ugly side again and the fall turns into another zoo.
FU69 liked this
 #41671  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm
NC A&T game is SoCon game of the week which is Furman’s only appearance. FU, Samfird, UTC, and Mercer only make one appearance. Citadel is only one with 3 appearances. 😳😳
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/7/ ... ckage.aspx
NexStar production crew must prefer knowing their bags will be well-handled by bellhops highly experienced in such activities.
apaladin, Davemeister, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #41690  by Davemeister
 Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:31 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm
NC A&T game is SoCon game of the week which is Furman’s only appearance. FU, Samfird, UTC, and Mercer only make one appearance. Citadel is only one with 3 appearances. 😳😳
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/7/ ... ckage.aspx
NexStar production crew must prefer knowing their bags will be well-handled by bellhops highly experienced in such activities.

And a crisp salute followed by "Carry On!" will do in place of a tip.
FUBeAR liked this
 #41693  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm
I do not like that Citadel has more appearances than any one other SoCon team.
At the same time, I would acknowledge that they may be the overall best-known school in the SoCon - or if not them, my guess is that it would be VMI.
Citadel - or possibly VMI - may have played more football games against schools currently Power 5, than any other current SoCon schools have played. So I am saying that specific aspect of football history, in addition to other history, would make those 2 the overall best-known.
Again, it’s not that I like that, but I believe it may be the truth.
 #41738  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm
I do not like that Citadel has more appearances than any one other SoCon team.
At the same time, I would acknowledge that they may be the overall best-known school in the SoCon - or if not them, my guess is that it would be VMI.
Citadel - or possibly VMI - may have played more football games against schools currently Power 5, than any other current SoCon schools have played. So I am saying that specific aspect of football history, in addition to other history, would make those 2 the overall best-known.
Again, it’s not that I like that, but I believe it may be the truth.
Since 2010 Citadel has played one FBS game per year, much like FU. Since 2003 VMI has only played 3 Power 5 teams, Duke and Virginia twice, so that argument doesn’t hold much water. VMI’s last P5 game was in 2013. Citadel and VMI are off the radar in all other sports. I did see a game show a few weeks ago and the question was name the military college of SC. No one knew the answer! :D