• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#82957  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:32 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:29 pm
Wish everyone had the Slawson and Bothwell look on things. We have unfinished business.
I think many of them did.

Guys like Sochovka, Blackshear, Gilby, etc. all stayed.

I do not believe next year will be a "rebuilding" year, but I think this seasons team (like last year's basketball team) was one where everyone thought they could really make a run. I think next year's football team may be a bit like this year's basketball team - get them early, or you may not get them at all.
I always felt this football season was mirroring last year‘s basketball season. We had older players coming back with unfinished business, won the conference outright, went one game further in the playoffs last year.
 #82965  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:41 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:Also, if we’re going to keep this thread open until the portal period ends, we might want to start a negative Nancy portal thread.
The portal thread is just to help keep all the negativity out of the recruiting thread ;)
FUBeAR liked this
 #82971  by Afurmanfan
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:00 pm
Guys- Clay and his staff have done exactly what they said they were going to do- win the Southern Conference and get back to being a contender for the national championship. I have no worries that he suddenly forgot what it takes to get there. This was a unique year for a variety of reasons just as it was in the Covid year when many were blasting him for the qb situation after Darren left. And here we are a play away from the semifinal. For obvious reasons I have absolute confidence in his proven ability to do what he says.
FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker, Chuckles and 4 others liked this
 #82972  by FU3
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:16 pm
None of these transfers are very surprising ( with the exception of maybe Huff who we all assumed was gone anyway). Covid really added a one time ability to keep players an extra year and this number of grad transfers are the result. CCH has been touting the youngster's for a while now. This staff has done a great job in the past several years to make us a real developmental program. Can’t wait to see the next batch up.
FUwolfpacker, dornb liked this
 #82975  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:17 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:16 pm
None of these transfers are very surprising ( with the exception of maybe Huff who we all assumed was gone anyway). Covid really added a one time ability to keep players an extra year and this number of grad transfers are the result. CCH has been touting the youngster's for a while now. This staff has done a great job in the past several years to make us a real developmental program. Can’t wait to see the next batch up.
Yeah, the Huff one caught me off guard. I heard at least FIVE interviews where they specifically talked with him about his January 8th Military start. They even named the date (mentioning it was a day after the title game.

A little strange. Yes, I assumed he was gone ... but to the military not as a transfer.
Davemeister liked this
 #82977  by MNORM
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:45 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:30 pm
Also, if we’re going to keep this thread open until the portal period ends, we might want to start a negative Nancy portal thread.
You could always just rename this thread. Heck, let's just join the Pioneer Conference...no way we can compete next year.

I'm assuming some of you missed the long line of players on Senior Day.
Last edited by MNORM on Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #82978  by FU3
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:10 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:45 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:30 pm
Also, if we’re going to keep this thread open until the portal period ends, we might want to start a negative Nancy portal thread.
You could always just rename this thread. Heck, let's just join the Pioneer Conference...no way we can complete next year.

I'm assuming some of you missed the long line of players on Senior Day.
In 3….2….1.
 #82980  by Thorny
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:09 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:Also, if we’re going to keep this thread open until the portal period ends, we might want to start a negative Nancy portal thread.
I was thinking about it.

/Can't fall behind the times. We need to switch to the triple option so even if our coach takes us to a National championship no one would think of poaching him. Same would be true if we had a QB win the Walter Payton award.

Also, you know how much media attention the SoCo would get if they started awarding a transfer of the year? That's an obvious missed opportunity!
 #82985  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:56 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 pm
Um... I'm not seeing abnormal negativity on this thread. Some our snowflakes may want to head for the safe room. Negative Nancy my ass
This. So much this.

Yay. Everything is wonderful. The world is perfect. It’s ALL P E R F E C T !

Maybe that will help them. Negative MY AZZ
 #82988  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
“tim” wrote: Um... I'm not seeing abnormal negativity on this thread. Some our snowflakes may want to head for the safe room. Negative Nancy my ass
This. So much this.

Yay. Everything is wonderful. The world is perfect. It’s ALL P E R F E C T !

Maybe that will help them. Negative MY AZZ
FUwolfpacker wrote:
The portal thread is just to help keep all the negativity out of the recruiting thread ;)

:lol:

Everyone should probably simmer down a bit. It is possible that both of these things can be true:

1. We will have growing pains and be frustrated at times as fans early in the/all year. Maybe we aren’t as good as this year. (Realist/Negative)

2. The guys who will be starters next year could be really good players who make big strides this off season to the point where we don’t see as much drop off as we think. (Optimist/Positive)

It’s possible we can both struggle early in the year where I’m sure certain posters will want to “dunk” on more optimistic posters, AND it’s possible that those same players get significantly better as the year goes on as they get more reps and we still find ourselves with a shot at a title/playoffs next year.

There is a lot of uncertainty with next year’s team. That not something we’ve had to deal with in a few years and I’m sure that worries some people because of how long it took us to get back to this point. I get it. Positive Pollys should be able to understand that perspective. Likewise, Negative Nancys should be able to see the perspective that some posters are more inclined to trust the coaches and their evaluation of the returning guys BECAUSE Clay has been able to get us back to this point when there were a lot of years where it looked like we would never get back to this point. Both perspectives have validity.

There is still such a long way to go in all of this. More guys could, likely will, go into the portal, but we’re likely to get a few as well. Would we have been as good this year without Pline, Cook, or Norman? Probably not. Yes, we’re losing some great players, but we’re likely going to get a few good ones as well. Everyone should probably just let things play out and then we can determine how much we need to worry/be excited.

Just my opinion. I’ve probably irritated both sides at this point 🤷‍♂️.
FUpaladin08, gman84, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:10 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.