• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#77493  by fupaladin01
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:46 pm
We can enjoy the fact that we dominate this opponent historically, but 14 previous SoCon rings won't earn us a single point or make a single stop Saturday. Kirwen Bell has built a solid program in a few short years- and had WCU enjoyed this renaissance during the 2010's we may have seen them get closer to evening the all-time series.
I still remember Ingle Martin's 5-INT game (05?) and the way they scored at will on us the last 2 seasons. I'll talk smack AFTER a Paladin win, but all respect to this Catamount team for climbing the ranks and giving the SoCon another spot in the top 10.
AstroDin, dornb, bj93 and 3 others liked this
 #77494  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:58 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
We can enjoy the fact that we dominate this opponent historically, but 14 previous SoCon rings won't earn us a single point or make a single stop Saturday. Kirwen Bell has built a solid program in a few short years- and had WCU enjoyed this renaissance during the 2010's we may have seen them get closer to evening the all-time series.
I still remember Ingle Martin's 5-INT game (05?) and the way they scored at will on us the last 2 seasons. I'll talk smack AFTER a Paladin win, but all respect to this Catamount team for climbing the ranks and giving the SoCon another spot in the top 10.

Of course it means nothing with regard to the game Saturday, but it does prove a point with regard to where program supremacy lay................
It's not smack friend, far from it, it's just 100% FACT ;)
 #77495  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:59 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
FUBeAR has mad respect for Coach Bell rockin' that Mayoan Mullet.

He ain't give a good goshdarn what nobody thinks!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #77500  by Jasper
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:22 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:04 pm
It will be Tyler Huff fan apperciation day at WCU, they are running a game promo to thank him for his service ;)

I think that free pass may just be the deciding factor in whether this old “grunt” takes that long drive up the mountain. Hoo-rah , F U! Let’s take the freakin high ground. Dins got a “Rendezvous with Destiny “ :evil:
FUBeAR, dornb, FU Hoopla liked this
 #77508  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:41 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:34 pm
A few interesting things from the show today…

Josh Harris practiced today so he should be a go for Saturday.
Also, KT practiced today.
And, CCH mentioned that Grant Robinson might be able to come back in a couple of weeks.

CCH raved about the play of young guys (freshmen) on the scout team. He mentioned that in the next several games you will see some new names pop up as Furman takes advantage of the four-game rule. Another interesting note, this season they can play in the playoffs and lose that redshirt if the four-game rule applies to them.
Astro. Thanks. !

Any mention of Brinson not playing v Samford or status?
 #77510  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 am
palafan wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:05 am
Bootie wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:21 pm
I'm scared about this game.
If we play like we have the last two games- disaster waiting.

I'm not entirely sure what all the beef was about in the Samford game.

We didn't look great on the opening possession. They scored on a long pass play and our first drive ended with a tipped ball interception. Not a great start.

Beyond that, I really only had an issue with two drives the rest of the game:

1. Leading 24-14, we got the ball at midfield and drove inside Samford's 15 yard line, couldn't convert, and missed a 31 yard field goal. Converting a touchdown there and the game would have been just about wrapped up. Even a field goal there would have given Furman a two touchdown lead.

2. On Samford's last scoring drive, our defense had Samford in 3rd and long 3 times and 4th down twice. We just could not get off the field.

Other than that, it was a hard fought contest. Samford wanted it bad. We wanted it more.
I hope we get this FG thing fixed. . This is One thing I think everyone has to agree on. We are weak on FG this year. 5 makes. of 9 attempts. On FGs so far. Barely 50 percent.

Odd as usually it such a strength. I’m objective. FGs are usually a huge strength for us!
It coulda cost us v Samford. I know the game changes with every score but maybe we are up. 9 instead of 6 at the end if we make that chip shot. We have to make 30 yd FGs.

Close games often come down to FGs
 #77518  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:15 am
Apparently WCU thinks we will be faking injuries to slow them down, already living in their heads rent free and it's not even Tuesday afternoon yet :lol: :lol:
WCU fans have made this allegation for years.

From my vantage point, this has never been true. Football's a physical game and guys get banged around. Every team/training staff tells their players that if they are injured or hurt to stay on the ground. You'll usually even see trainers force a player who wants to get up back down so they can get checked out. It happens in every football game all the time.

WCU fans (like Samford fans) get annoyed because their offense wants to snap the ball every 10 seconds. WCU is less fast-paced than they used to be, so maybe it will be a nonissue. I just find it odd that a team's offense is so fickle that it can be completely disrupted by having to tend to a player on the field.
 #77519  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:49 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
palafan wrote:
Bootie wrote:

We didn't look great on the opening possession. They scored on a long pass play and our first drive ended with a tipped ball interception. Not a great start.

1. Leading 24-14, we got the ball at midfield and drove inside Samford's 15 yard line, couldn't convert, and missed a 31 yard field goal. Converting a touchdown there and the game would have been just about wrapped up. Even a field goal there would have given Furman a two touchdown lead.

2. On Samford's last scoring drive, our defense had Samford in 3rd and long 3 times and 4th down twice. We just could not get off the field.

Other than that, it was a hard fought contest. Samford wanted it bad. We wanted it more.
I hope we get this FG thing fixed. . This is One thing I think everyone has to agree on. We are weak on FG this year. 5 makes. of 9 attempts. On FGs so far. Barely 50 percent.

Odd as usually it such a strength. I’m objective. FGs are usually a huge strength for us!
It coulda cost us v Samford. I know the game changes with every score but maybe we are up. 9 instead of 6 at the end if we make that chip shot. We have to make 30 yd FGs.

Hasn't been as lock tight as we would have liked.

I'll say that Saturday was very windy in Birmingham. I thought Ian Williams kick looked good and was surprised it missed. Didn't miss by much.
 #77520  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
palafan wrote:
Bootie wrote:

I'll say that Saturday was very windy in Birmingham. I thought Ian Williams kick looked good and was surprised it missed. Didn't miss by much.
Jackal, thanks. I wasn’t there in person.

Still we should be 7/9 or so. We made the long one at Sammy. Hopefully that starts new trend
 #77523  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
palafan wrote:
Bootie wrote:

#77524  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:30 am
Also a little surprised that Samford had a net protecting their field house (which really didn't stop many kicked balls), but no net on the construction zone.

I have no idea where the footballs went once they entered all the scaffolding.
 #77528  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:23 am
I'll be interested to see how the gameplan changes this week.

With their 9 sack performance, Furman vaulted up to #2 in the SoCon with 15 sacks. Western Carolina, however, has only surrendered 3 sacks all season. 2 of the 3 sacks came in their opening game against Arkansas. UTC leads the SoCon in sacks, and didn't get to Gonzalez at all.

My speculation is Western Carolina favors getting rid of the ball quickly and into space over holding the ball for a longer pass play to develop. Furman has generally been really good at the edges and has defensive backs that will come up and hit you.

Samford, however, had a little success out there with some reverses and what looked like a long TD run called back after the runner stepped out of bounds.

I suspect that will be one of the game's fiercest battles - WCU's efforts to try to get the ball to the edge. This will be another one of those games where our safeties/nickels/SPURs/CBs are going to have to have a big game.