• 2021 Spring Season

#35989  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 am
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/1/ ... wUilk2UTuw

I nerd out on this stuff, but this got me excited.
"We have a good bit of experience at that position and for the first time feel like we can put two tight ends in the game at the same time," said Furman head coach Clay Hendrix on Tuesday.
I noted this a while back, but I bet we see Ryan Miller occasionally in an H-back role coming out of the backfield as both a blocker and receiver.

I see that being a problem for a defense. Furman is going to force defenses to matchup their better pass coverage linebacker/safety on either Miller or Walker. Both guys are dangerous receivers and good blockers.
FUKA61 liked this
 #36034  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 am
Good article that, oddly, as a non-subscriber, I was able to read in its entirety. Lots of excellent quotes / thoughts from HC’s

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ ... 3e0cf.html
Roundball, PalaDad liked this
 #36035  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:06 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 am
Good article that, oddly, as a non-subscriber, I was able to read in its entirety. Lots of excellent quotes / thoughts from HC’s

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ ... 3e0cf.html

The Post and Courier and Time Free Press in Chattanooga always seem to have excellent SoCon coverage.
Roundball, PalaDad liked this
 #36064  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 am
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/1/ ... wUilk2UTuw

I nerd out on this stuff, but this got me excited.
"We have a good bit of experience at that position and for the first time feel like we can put two tight ends in the game at the same time," said Furman head coach Clay Hendrix on Tuesday.
I noted this a while back, but I bet we see Ryan Miller occasionally in an H-back role coming out of the backfield as both a blocker and receiver.

I see that being a problem for a defense. Furman is going to force defenses to matchup their better pass coverage linebacker/safety on either Miller or Walker. Both guys are dangerous receivers and good blockers.

I cogitated on this question for a few days - how might Furman use two TEs?

I think you are seeing two TE sets becoming the widow maker of a modern offense. Many of the top NFL and college football offenses frequently utilize multiple TEs. It creates all sorts of matchup problems for a defense to deal with several big-bodies that can run, block, and catch passes.

Both Miller and Walker have played a lot for Furman. By suggesting that NOW Furman has the depth at TE to attempt this on offense suggests that the coaching staff has another guy or two they feel comfortable playing. Since Hendrix arrived, I'm not really sure we've even played a TE besides Miller or Walker, with the possible exception of Andy Schumpert, who was really a WR playing TE.

The TE is, in many ways, taking the role of a traditional fullback. As Kirby Smart noted, what does a TE do - blocks and occasionally catch passes. What does a fullback do - block and occasionally catch passes.

There are a lot of combinations here, but I think Furman can stress a defense by having Miller and Walker on the field at the same time. Miller, especially, is a tough matchup for a linebacker or safety because he's a TE, built like a running back, and runs routes like a receiver.
 #36066  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:49 am
Another good thing about tight ends is that they may be easier for a place like FU to recruit. They can be pretty anonymous in HS and end up overlooked. They don’t have blazing speed, and they may not be grown yet when recruited. They are not prima donaish or delusional about their future, so they are decent students and are more apt to appreciate the value of a Furman scholarship. My daughter had to explain the value thing to one of FU’s WR’s (who was pretty delusional). You can also make TE’s out of basketball players in a pinch.
 #36067  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:50 am
I'm going to further geek out on this. Apologies in advance, as this is what happens when I haven't seen Furman play football in over a year.

Trips formations are what you see a lot of the top offenses using - you'll see it from the Chiefs, Chargers, Florida, Alabama, etc. Send the two TEs to opposite sides of the formation.

Using a trips formation with two TEs can give Furman the ability to pressure a defense in multiple ways. The defense will typically have to declare its intentions early and the offense can make them wrong regardless of what they do.

Defense plays zone to the trips side? Quickly flick the ball out the slot and let the H and X throw a block with numbers on the edge. Easy throw, get the ball to a speedster in space and let him work.

Defense playing man? RPO backside slant to the Y or find a way to get the TB in space against a linebacker. There aren't many SoCon linebackers that will fare well in a matchup against Wynn/Anderson/Thomas in a passing situation.

Offense has numbers in the box? Let the RB hammer the ball between the tackles. Count the hats - if we got more guys than they do, go where we have the advantage.

I do not think I've really ever seen us run much trips/bunch formations. But just out of that single formation you can pressure a defense against both the run and pass, deep and short, both sides of the field, and can force the advantage regardless of what the defense tries to do.
FurmAlum liked this
 #36073  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:16 am
Damn, we should score about 400 points per game!
We should.

With Trips to 1 side, 2 TE’s on the other side, and a RB & TB in the game, we have 7 eligible receivers on the field & 13 total Players - YUUUGE matchup advantages against 11 on D!!!
FurmAlum liked this
 #36077  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:50 am
I'm going to further geek out on this. Apologies in advance, as this is what happens when I haven't seen Furman play football in over a year.

Trips formations are what you see a lot of the top offenses using - you'll see it from the Chiefs, Chargers, Florida, Alabama, etc. Send the two TEs to opposite sides of the formation.

Using a trips formation with two TEs can give Furman the ability to pressure a defense in multiple ways. The defense will typically have to declare its intentions early and the offense can make them wrong regardless of what they do.

Defense plays zone to the trips side? Quickly flick the ball out the slot and let the H and X throw a block with numbers on the edge. Easy throw, get the ball to a speedster in space and let him work.

Defense playing man? RPO backside slant to the Y or find a way to get the TB in space against a linebacker. There aren't many SoCon linebackers that will fare well in a matchup against Wynn/Anderson/Thomas in a passing situation.

Offense has numbers in the box? Let the RB hammer the ball between the tackles. Count the hats - if we got more guys than they do, go where we have the advantage.

I do not think I've really ever seen us run much trips/bunch formations. But just out of that single formation you can pressure a defense against both the run and pass, deep and short, both sides of the field, and can force the advantage regardless of what the defense tries to do.
Geeking out is good for the soul. It also helps me understand the nuances of play calling and scheming that my limited knowledge of the inner workings of football allow. Previously all I understood was you need to whup the other team's ass.
 #36079  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:45 pm
They say you need to “pound the football” too. I tried that when I coached but no matter how hard I beat on one of the spare balls, my teams still stunk sometimes.
 #36080  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Previously all I understood was you need to whup the other team's ass.
All you need to know, really. If you do this, none of that other stuff really matters.
 #36113  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Previously all I understood was you need to whup the other team's ass.
All you need to know, really. If you do this, none of that other stuff really matters.
Whooping the other team is strongly suggested.

Encouragingly, I think we will push around a lot of the SoCon. These wrinkles are just nice to have when you need to go get a little extra.
 #36181  by cavedweller2
 Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:12 pm
Comical for Football. It is played outside.
PalaDad liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.