• 2025 Recruiting

#88561  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:48 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:19 pm
That’s 2! Evan James commits! Reported offers from Temple, Ole Miss, WKU, Pitt, WVU, Wofford, Georgia St, Delaware St, and Marshall.

On the subject of prototype players, Furman snags another receiver that fits our slot receiver mold.

I watched a bit of James footage. Kid can really run and has defensive backs spinning in circles trying to cover him. The film reminds me a lot of Colton Hinton.
 #88562  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:11 am
That’s hard to watch.

quote="The Jackal" post_id=88554 time=1720668996 user_id=52]
You can rewatch this over and over, pick out a new Furman player each time, and likely see a penalty if not multiple penalties.

[/quote]
 #88564  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:56 am
The Jackal wrote: On the subject of prototype players, Furman snags another receiver that fits our slot receiver mold.

I watched a bit of James footage. Kid can really run and has defensive backs spinning in circles trying to cover him. The film reminds me a lot of Colton Hinton.

Agreed. Obviously this was the commit I was talking about fitting that slot mold a couple of days ago. With Hinton and James, Furman has some speed that is comparable to some of the WRs we've seen in the playoffs the last couple of years.

In regards to team needs that was brought up yesterday, Furman has filled a lot of the needs already based on players exiting after this year. As Astro mentioned, I think there was more emphasis on offense this year, but it may end up being close to equal by the time the class is finished.

I don't think we'll see Furman take a QB this year unless one of the 3 young guys transfers out unexpectedly. I think we are probably done at RB and WR as well. We could be done at OL, but wouldn't be surprised to see us take one more. DL is interesting. The guys we know about with offers are all in the DE mold. We do lose Jackson, so it would make sense to take one there. We will only have 2 NGs after this year, so I would think we would take one of those, but I don't see any of those guys out there with offers right now. It's possible one of the DTs could move over and we take a couple of DE's with one growing into the DT position like Bussey. Not sure about LB. We might be done there with Ellison. Probably will be looking for another Bandit with Clark leaving and only having Maier and Short at that position. With Adams listed as a CB, I imagine we are done there as we'll have 3 RS freshmen and 3 true freshmen on the roster this year. Probably going to need to add a safety as well unless the plan is to move one of the CBs over.

So best guess on remaining needs...

0-1 OL
1-2 DL
1 BAN
0-1 LB
1-2 DB

Astro is usually pretty good at this as well so he may be able to offer some more insight.
 #88566  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:28 am
Always have wondered, what’s with the discrepancies in offers. In EJ case Seems like a lot of schools comparable to Furman and then an ole miss offer. Does that mean it’s a PWO offer or am I just assuming incorrectly?
 #88569  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:13 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:28 am

Always have wondered, what’s with the discrepancies in offers. In EJ case Seems like a lot of schools comparable to Furman and then an ole miss offer. Does that mean it’s a PWO offer or am I just assuming incorrectly?
Great question. It's really hard to know now a days since, apparently, there are committable and non-committable offers out there with the FBS schools. You also have PWO offers, but not all athletes will come out and say it is a PWO offer. They might say something like "opportunity to continue my academic and athletic career" vs "received an offer from X." You'll see kids announce that they got an offer, and then some also post an "official offer" graphic closer to signing day. It's a really weird trend, but it's probably a way for some of the FBS schools to keep some of these kids on the hook for longer.

Regardless of whether a kid's offers from these FBS schools are committable or non-committable or PWO, those schools saw enough in these players to offer them something. The athlete would have to tell us to know for sure about all these offers, so we just have to take it at face value.
 #88574  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:48 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:56 am
The Jackal wrote: On the subject of prototype players, Furman snags another receiver that fits our slot receiver mold.

Agreed. Obviously this was the commit I was talking about fitting that slot mold a couple of days ago. With Hinton and James, Furman has some speed that is comparable to some of the WRs we've seen in the playoffs the last couple of years.

In regards to team needs that was brought up yesterday, Furman has filled a lot of the needs already based on players exiting after this year. As Astro mentioned, I think there was more emphasis on offense this year, but it may end up being close to equal by the time the class is finished.

I don't think we'll see Furman take a QB this year unless one of the 3 young guys transfers out unexpectedly. I think we are probably done at RB and WR as well. We could be done at OL, but wouldn't be surprised to see us take one more. DL is interesting. The guys we know about with offers are all in the DE mold. We do lose Jackson, so it would make sense to take one there. We will only have 2 NGs after this year, so I would think we would take one of those, but I don't see any of those guys out there with offers right now. It's possible one of the DTs could move over and we take a couple of DE's with one growing into the DT position like Bussey. Not sure about LB. We might be done there with Ellison. Probably will be looking for another Bandit with Clark leaving and only having Maier and Short at that position. With Adams listed as a CB, I imagine we are done there as we'll have 3 RS freshmen and 3 true freshmen on the roster this year. Probably going to need to add a safety as well unless the plan is to move one of the CBs over.

So best guess on remaining needs...

0-1 OL
1-2 DL
1 BAN
0-1 LB
1-2 DB

Astro is usually pretty good at this as well so he may be able to offer some more insight.
If I remember Clay Hendrix's comments from a few years ago, I believe defensive linemen are such a commodity that if you have the ability to get good ones, you take it.
 #88584  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:34 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:31 pm
GoFu… I don't get your point. Anyways!
This is a helluva class!
So far, there is a big emphasis on the offense.
Well the question was “when is the last time we returned a ko for a Td? So my answer was too long ago since it was two years

And following. Up on that we had a GREAT year last year but one thing that we didn’t do and could have used for points was return KOs at least to the 50. We really struggled for explosive plays on KOs

We did
 #88585  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:54 pm
When is the last time we returned a ko for a td?
the answer is TOO LONG AGO. that is the answer.

MONTANA vs us? too soon? these are the things that win games when the game is close. don't give me that whine and cheese UNC junk about Montana holding either. That's on the refs.

Why don't we just do it too and run our own damn KO back once or twice a year. instead of every other year. or AT LEAST get to the freakin 50 yard line... there was a while there we couldn't get to our own 30 in numerous games. Just getting to the 50 is a HUGE advantage..

guess at TEAM NEEDS:
OL
QB
Special teams help like KO returns
DL
You might be surprised to know that last season Furman led the Southern Conference in kick return average and was top 20 nationally.

You can call it whining, but Montana's opening kick return was made possible by several penalties. Returning kicks gets a lot easier when you can tackle the coverage team before they get to the return man.
If it was reversed we would call it whining. We would. I know that to be true.

And if the refs did that and we were smart we would have told our guys to hold in a similar way the rest of the game.

Anyway. Montana won. We lost. Doesn’t matter. Nobody was beating SDSU anyway
 #88674  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:42 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:19 pm

Maddox Dykeman DE/TE 6'8" 255, Macintosh HS (GA)
Offers: Furman, Toledo, ECU (PWO?), Troy, Cornell, Illinois St, AF, Buffalo, Brown, UMass, Elon , W&M, Stony Brook
Committed to FU today, per his X acct
Paladin82, apaladin liked this
 #88678  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:13 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:42 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:19 pm

Maddox Dykeman DE/TE 6'8" 255, Macintosh HS (GA)
Offers: Furman, Toledo, ECU (PWO?), Troy, Cornell, Illinois St, AF, Buffalo, Brown, UMass, Elon , W&M, Stony Brook
Committed to FU today, per his X acct
From his video, it looks like he mostly plays defensive line.

#88689  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:40 pm
He’s a big dude.
 #88690  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:01 pm
Pretty proud of myself for getting all three of those! (Adams, James, and Dykeman)

Furman is putting together another pretty good class. (as far as any of us can tell at this point). Some good size/length on the lines and some good speed at the skill positions.
apaladin liked this
 #88691  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:26 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:01 pm
Pretty proud of myself for getting all three of those! (Adams, James, and Dykeman)

Furman is putting together another pretty good class. (as far as any of us can tell at this point). Some good size/length on the lines and some good speed at the skill positions.
Proud of you, man. You needed a win. Good for you.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:55 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:35 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.