• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#82937  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:14 am
Whelp, I guess that answers my question.

LOL - your question was answered 49 minutes before he X’d/Tweeted that.
 #82938  by Dins&Heels
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 am
Wishing Huff and these other guys nothing but the best going forward whether they stay in the portal or not. Huff has been awesome for Furman football but another year here wouldn’t even be in the best interest of the growth of the program.
AstroDin, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #82939  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:48 am
KingPaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:31 am
Two players I'm interested to see the status of are Pline and Norman.

Fred Norman is a grad transfer, but played in the COVID season, so ostensibly would still have a year remaining to play should he want to take it.

Pline, I have no idea. From what I can tell, he played three seasons of basketball at Ferris State, then switched to football in '21. He wouldn't have played football during the COVID year. But '23 was his third season of college football. I've tried to research the issue, but I'm lost on whether switching sports counts against eligibility for either one.
I assume it doesn't, since JR Smith forewent his basketball eligibility when he went pro but could still come back and play college golf
Right, he came back for golf after playing basketball for years. I don't think one sport counts against the other. IE, I guess you could play 4 years of football and then 4 years of basketball ?
 #82940  by Sad Din
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:53 am
Dins&Heels wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 am
Wishing Huff and these other guys nothing but the best going forward whether they stay in the portal or not. Huff has been awesome for Furman football but another year here wouldn’t even be in the best interest of the growth of the program.
Ditto.. Just hope HUff doesnt end up on another Socon team. that would be very weird toplay against
 #82941  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:04 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:48 am
KingPaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:31 am
Two players I'm interested to see the status of are Pline and Norman.

Fred Norman is a grad transfer, but played in the COVID season, so ostensibly would still have a year remaining to play should he want to take it.

Pline, I have no idea. From what I can tell, he played three seasons of basketball at Ferris State, then switched to football in '21. He wouldn't have played football during the COVID year. But '23 was his third season of college football. I've tried to research the issue, but I'm lost on whether switching sports counts against eligibility for either one.
I assume it doesn't, since JR Smith forewent his basketball eligibility when he went pro but could still come back and play college golf
Right, he came back for golf after playing basketball for years. I don't think one sport counts against the other. IE, I guess you could play 4 years of football and then 4 years of basketball ?
Nope - 2 components…

1) Clock - 5 years from enrollment date in ANY college / except for the SA’s enrolled during Winter / Spring of ‘19-‘20 and Fall of ‘20 - their ‘eligibility clocks’ were stopped during that time period.

2) 4 Seasons of any 1 sport … so, theoretically, could play 4 seasons of Football, 4 seasons of Basketball, and 4 seasons of Baseball EACH, as long as the time frame of playing those was between enrollment date and the time when their ‘eligibility clock’ strikes 0.

Smith never enrolled in any college before his NBA Career. His NCAA eligibility clock didn’t start until he enrolled at NC A&T in 2021.
 #82942  by HKB60
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:26 pm
The biggest surprise to me is Huff. Some of the others that have finished their degrees and are moving on is somewhat expected. Like my nephew Jack Barton, there isn't a Masters program for him to continue at FU. I am sure it is the same for some of the others. It is shocking that FU does not have more Masters programs for the entire student population. You would think a Masters degree in any subject from Furman would be exceptional. I can see Huff going to a place like Coastal Carolina or Kennesaw State. He could help a building Group of five FBS progrm.
dornb liked this
 #82944  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:32 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:29 pm
Wish everyone had the Slawson and Bothwell look on things. We have unfinished business.
I think many of them did.

Guys like Sochovka, Blackshear, Gilby, etc. all stayed.

I do not believe next year will be a "rebuilding" year, but I think this seasons team (like last year's basketball team) was one where everyone thought they could really make a run. I think next year's football team may be a bit like this year's basketball team - get them early, or you may not get them at all.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #82945  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:35 pm
We also don't know if some of these guys won't stay. It happened several times last season. They entered the portal, and withdrew.

Maybe you have a change of heart. Maybe your best chance to play is at Bugtussell Tech in Nowhere, Kansas and that's not as appealing. There's a bunch of reasons. We'll just have to let it all play out.
 #82956  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:28 pm
2022 and 2023 have a very similar feel to where 2004 and 2005 landed, let's hope Clay can keep things going on track this time around as we hit a rough patch following the '04-'05 runs

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:10 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.