• Clemson game thread

#3195  by FUPaladins
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:46 pm
Does anyone know what the personal foul was on the kickoff in the second quarter?
 #3196  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:51 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 pm
The call at the end of the half was BS. The first angle from the end zone showed he was clearly out. They never showed it again. They kept showing the other angle which looked like he was in. So one camera shows in, one shows out where is the indisputable part?? I guess HR was just a token starter. I agree it will be Lincoln and Grainger and very well could be Grainger. I have not been a fan of the play calling today., especially on second down. The few times we had 5 or 6 yds on first down we've come back with a run up the middle for nothing.
He was clearly in. It was the right call. My wife thought the same thing.
He probably was in but the other angle clearly showed he was out. If you only look at one angle then yes but you are supposed to look a all available. It wasn't indisputable. Anyway this now as bad as I feared and getting worse. CU has now scored 35 in 20 mins of game time with plenty of time left.
 #3198  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:13 pm
Touchdown Dins!!! That's probably more TDs than some teams will score against Clemson this year: that defense is really tough, especially up front.
Affirm liked this
 #3199  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:13 pm
Touchdown Dins!!! That's probably more TDs than some teams will score against Clemson this year: that defense is really tough, especially up front.
We've looked much better against Clemson reserves. That is probably a closer comparison to what we will see against a good FCS team.

I wish I knew what we were going to do at QB. Seems like the staff is still unsettled, but instead of Lincoln and Roberts, it may be Lincoln and Grainger.
 #3200  by fufanatic
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:21 pm
48-7! I will take that. Followed my formula. Hold them under 50 and score points. Now clean up all those stupid mistakes and Beat Elon!
dornb, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #3201  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:30 pm
So, I don't think that's what we will see on offense routinely. Only 9 attempted passes. 100+ yards rushing against a tough defense. 2 sacks. Nearly 35 minutes of possession.

We had two procedural penalties that you expect in week 1 games.

I think there's a lot to like. We played a lot of freshmen, got some experience in a game that didn't mean terribly much long term. There is plenty to clean up, but hopefully we can right the ship and get ready for Elon.

Again, it only gets easier from here.
76MrMoto liked this
 #3202  by furman88
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:44 pm
That was nasty but not unexpected. We helped clemptson with alot of mistakes, play calling was curious and we played alot of people. Gotta grab some of the positives, and there were some, and move on to Eloan. Grainger and Lincoln both looked really good at times. Defense wore down but has great potiental. clemptson was 3 deep at all positions with great players. This team will rebound, learn from this and will have a great season. Purple Reign!
76MrMoto liked this
 #3203  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:46 pm
Overall happy with the foundation I saw. Got a little sloppy in 2nd half but one can only imagine a far more competitive game if our OL could have matched up better but this is the best line we will see all year bar none. I think Grainger made a case.
76MrMoto liked this
 #3205  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:51 pm
I-85 Paladin wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:46 pm
Overall happy with the foundation I saw. Got a little sloppy in 2nd half but one can only imagine a far more competitive game if our OL could have matched up better but this is the best line we will see all year bar none. I think Grainger made a case.
If you buy the argument, Furman's offensive line just played the best defensive line ever.
76MrMoto liked this
 #3206  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:44 pm
Had to give them one sooner or later. This one is going to look as bad as CU's game with Citadel last year. :(
Quite wrong.
 #3208  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:02 pm
On the postgame CCH said they would pretty much go with Grainger and Lincoln now and he was still upset with the sideline call that was overturned. Think about how huge that call was. They would have punted from their end zone and we would have had the ball near midfield with under 5 to go in the half. and still only 13-0. I think any of us would have taken that. We COULD have made it at least interesting at the half. I still think it was not indisputable.
AstroDin, Jasper liked this
 #3209  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:05 pm
Hard to draw any conclusions from this game but my takeaways are

The coaches really want Grainger to step up and take the QB job. He’s raw and had a deer in the headlights look at times but has major talent.

The OL was disappointing but gotta give props to that Clemson D. Maybe the best we’ve ever played.

The D was great for 80% of the game but at times looked gassed and confused. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gilby take over at ILB from Perryman.
76MrMoto liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:10 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.