#35862  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:21 am
I bet most of these never intended to play in the first place. I think Big Sky teams probably knew it would be too cold. Others know that even if Covid numbers are bad now, they usually drop rapidly when they drop. So it is too early to predict how bad things will be in late February. The biggest jump to get over is admitting that the numbers we had during football season were manageable. They will have to admit a mistake which is almost impossible for academic people. The Big 10 and PAC 12 justified their about faces by citing “new information”. The FCS actually has new information in the form of a 4 month clinical trial performed by the FBS. Nobody died or even got very sick.

I know the COO of a local hospital. He says the high numbers are still "Thanksgiving" numbers. We will then have Christmas numbers. After that, they may drop some.

The data is pretty clear - the numbers spike heavily after every holiday. Fortunately, there is not much holidaying from January through May. So, we may actually get some traction back along with the vaccine rollout.
I’m no Hospital COO, but I am a well-documented ( :D ) Covid survivor. And, I did a little research on the ‘rona during my bout. Your guy’s assessment doesn’t align with my research. For someone that dies from Covid, the average number of days from onset of any symptoms to death is about 18 days. People that go to the hospital usually go on Day 5 or 6...and they get better or they go to ICU by day 10 or 11...and they get better or die by Day 18. Obviously there are differences in cases, but that’s the math (SCIENCE!) my research concluded.

So...unless my calendar is defective, the current surge is not “Thanksgiving numbers.” It’s Xmas / New Year’s (my exposure...symptoms 4 days after initial exposure) numbers.

So, Dr. FUBeAR says...yep...we are still going to see some increase from 2nd, 3rd, 4th-hand Christmas exposure/spread...but, after that...in about 3-4 weeks, IMO...we are going to see things coming down...pretty quickly...vaccinations & herd immunity and less ‘holiday spread’ is going to get us there...just in time for our Spring Football Season

#StormTheStadium
I too am counting on those vaccinations speeding up soon. Hoping both my wife and I can have received both of our doses by April 4. She’s under 70, however, and in SC, only people 70 and up qualify; and the supply of vaccines is inadequate even for all those at present. So I have an appointment for shot #2 Feb 10, but don’t know if that may get cancelled; and I don’t really know when she will be able to get her #1. Meanwhile, friends are dying, hospitals are cancelling elective surgeries, and our children are worried about us getting COVID (as are we).
 #35865  by AstroDin
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:47 am
First I'm all for the spring season playing…

Apaladin - not sure where you're getting your COVID data numbers?
SC had 3,435 new confirmed COVID-19 cases and 63 deaths yesterday (Saturday).
^^^ that is not something to feel good about.
Our state is also getting about 25% of its vaccine expected allocation, Primsa Columbia is stoping walk-up vaccinations.

To Bear's point, my sister and I have done some digging to help us understand the details of Dad's fatal journey with COVID. A staff member tested positive for COVID at the rehab facility where my Dad was rehabbing on Christmas Eve (12.24). The facility started tested every three days - my Dad tested positive on Jan 1st, he was hospitalized on the 8th and passed on the 12th. By my count that was an 11-day window. The weird thing about COVID is the doctors were feeling positive up to the evening of the 10th.

The only reason I'm sharing this is I'm tired of the misinformation about COVID. A few people have the balls to ask my mother are they sure my father passed of covid????
 #35871  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:10 pm
Astro, just said numbers were trending down, no 3,400 is not good but much better than the 6, 7, 8,000 that had been reported. 46 of 50 states are showing a downward trend, not just in cases but hospitilizations. Just a little hope.
 #35873  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:20 pm
I’m hoping the vaccinations will speed up now that the healthcare workers are taken care of (I think). I know 1st year nursing students and medical students who’ve had their shot so I assume all of them are being vaccinated. That’s a ton of healthy 20 somethings who had to be vaccinated before the old folks. In Augusta they are just getting to where they can vaccinate the public ( had to do Medical College of Georgia and 3 other hospitals first plus doctors dentists etc. ) My brother got vaccinated in Camden, SC because he preaches occasional funeral services at a funeral home. I can’t figure how that fits into the system. Anyway it will start getting to the old folks soon.

I think the 63 death were spread over several days. We appear to be stuck on a plateau of about 40 per day. I just wonder what the deal is with Greenville County. One of the richest and best educated counties is doing pretty crappy.
 #35876  by Flagman
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm
It’s a hoax. Didn’t you hear your leader over the past year. There’s no need to shut everything down. It’s going to go away by itself. Just drink the Lysol.

I read a report in the Greenville News today that stated that Wuhan, China has pretty much been back to normal with no significant outbreaks since April. They shut everything down immediately. If only we had such commitment and leadership.
 #35878  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:48 pm
Flagman wrote:
It’s a hoax. Didn’t you hear your leader over the past year. There’s no need to shut everything down. It’s going to go away by itself. Just drink the Lysol.

I read a report in the Greenville News today that stated that Wuhan, China has pretty much been back to normal with no significant outbreaks since April. They shut everything down immediately. If only we had such commitment and leadership.
Wuhan is back to normal because they don’t spend 30 minutes every night on their news talking about it. They are not paying people to report Covid deaths, they are not testing everyone in china just because they can. They are not paying for reporting positive cases. It is still there believe me.
 #35879  by AstroDin
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:34 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:20 pm
I’m hoping the vaccinations will speed up now that the healthcare workers are taken care of (I think). I know 1st year nursing students and medical students who’ve had their shot so I assume all of them are being vaccinated. That’s a ton of healthy 20 somethings who had to be vaccinated before the old folks. In Augusta they are just getting to where they can vaccinate the public ( had to do Medical College of Georgia and 3 other hospitals first plus doctors dentists etc. ) My brother got vaccinated in Camden, SC because he preaches occasional funeral services at a funeral home. I can’t figure how that fits into the system. Anyway it will start getting to the old folks soon.

I think the 63 death were spread over several days. We appear to be stuck on a plateau of about 40 per day. I just wonder what the deal is with Greenville County. One of the richest and best educated counties is doing pretty crappy.
again I'm just wanting us to be aware of the truth… the State is reporting now more than 120 deaths this weekend and I'm posting at 3:33 on Sunday.

A little context from the State "On Friday, Jan. 15 deaths were reported by DHEC, the most deaths reported on a single day in South Carolina, eclipsing the previous record of 84 confirmed on Jan. 2."
 #35880  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 pm
I generally check the dhec website rather than the State. There is sometimes a discrepancy because dhec may report a certain number of deaths on a given day but the deaths actually happened over a period of time (sometimes weeks) leading up to the reporting date. It takes awhile for test results and stuff to come in. Looks like they posted 50-60 deaths or so on 1/22 but they go back as far as late December. It isn’t good either way.
 #35949  by Paul C
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 pm
Flagman wrote:

No thanks, I’ll pass
 #35955  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:47 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 pm
Flagman wrote:

No thanks, I’ll pass
C’mon Paul...no passing. Run the dang ball!

...and...the correct answer was... “No ‘if only’ needed. As of 1/20, we ARE under the same Leadership as Wuhan, China. Everything will be utopian from now on.”

That would have been the correct answer for you; not for FUBeAR. FUBeAR has retired from political posting.
apaladin liked this
 #35956  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 am
I'm going to put a vote in for the team to get this play installed at some point.

Simple concept but all sorts of cool things going on with that play.
 #35957  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:13 am
^^^ I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Chiefs run that play.

With Bell, Gunn, Thomas — Furman has several options now with edge speed.
Note these Kelton Gunn highlights are actual speed…
 #35981  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:45 am
Currently there are 262 FCS spring football games schefuled. Let the games begin!! :)

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.