• Preseason '24

#88529  by FUTex
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:48 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:57 pm
Watched a replay of the Ole Miss and Texas A&M game last night. I think we might be in trouble. Ole Miss returns 20 starters from last year’s 11-2 team. FU returns 6.
We most certainly will not be in trouble. Some key points:

1-Our D Line is quite stable, and intact with plenty of game experience, especially so by halftime on August 31. This is well established.
2- All of Ol' Miss's true freshmen have no college game experience. Indeed, exactly zero of the Mississippi players have any game experience so far this season. Their veterans have probably all spent the off-season partying, wearing inappropriate clothing, and listening to that damn Jelly Roll CD.
3-Clay Hendrix has psychically willed his players to gain attributes in all sectors, effectively levelling up the entire Paladin squad.
4-Lane Kiffin will tell his players to not look past Furman, and tell tales of Furman-past killing giants. But the Ol' Miss players won't get it, because the next game after Furman is Middle Tennessee State, then Wake, then Ga Southern. So who will the players be supposed to be in danger of looking past Furman? No one. This is going to mess with their minds something awful. Its going to be turnover city in Oxford.
5-Madine goes airborne in 45 days.
Paladin82 liked this
 #88530  by FUTex
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:53 am
Also, I should hasten to add that Ole Miss has never beaten the Paladins. Every single time we've played football against Ole Miss we have been victorious. We own this series.
 #88533  by gman84
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:07 am
Next year we don’t get the pro team out of the gate. We play Clempson in November, the game before they play SC.
It is rare for Furman to play an FBS school during that late season pre-rivalry game date. Never a huge fan of doing that, but if that's what it is, that's what it is.
meaning 2025?
Yes, then open with Tennessee in 2026 and no other pro games after that.
Not a problem...we are not guaranteed tomorrow! ;)
 #88534  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:53 am
First practice 3 weeks from today. BTW the new putple seats have still not been installed.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #88540  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:28 pm
I heard they shifted the money for those seats to the Timmons project and now they are going to just paint the concrete purple.
 #88542  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:48 pm
FUTex wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Watched a replay of the Ole Miss and Texas A&M game last night. I think we might be in trouble. Ole Miss returns 20 starters from last year’s 11-2 team. FU returns 6.

1-Our D Line is quite stable, and intact with plenty of game experience, especially so by halftime on August 31. This is well established.
2- All of Ol' Miss's true freshmen have no college game experience. Indeed, exactly zero of the Mississippi players have any game experience so far this season. Their veterans have probably all spent the off-season partying, wearing inappropriate clothing, and listening to that damn Jelly Roll CD.
3-Clay Hendrix has psychically willed his players to gain attributes in all sectors, effectively levelling up the entire Paladin squad.
4-Lane Kiffin will tell his players to not look past Furman, and tell tales of Furman-past killing giants. But the Ol' Miss players won't get it, because the next game after Furman is Middle Tennessee State, then Wake, then Ga Southern. So who will the players be supposed to be in danger of looking past Furman? No one. This is going to mess with their minds something awful. Its going to be turnover city in Oxford.
Lane Kiffin is a punk. He stares at the cheerleaders during the games.
 #88548  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:11 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:48 pm
FUTex wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Lane Kiffin is a punk. He stares at the cheerleaders during the games.
Nah - those chicks are way too old for Coach Freshwater…unless you meant when he’s recruiting at a High School game.
 #88638  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:53 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:48 am
A good look at Gavin Hall from his Instagram feed… dude doesn't look like a freshman!
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9XkAk5szci ... mg_index=1

I know there is some consternation about Roberto graduating and depth at Running Back. I, for one, have never really been concerned with Furman's ability to develop quality running backs.

I did, however, find this interesting.

His junior and senior year, Gavin Hall rushed for 4,156 yards and 56 touchdowns (I'm not even counting passing or receiving yards).

Dominic Roberto rushed for 330 yards and five touchdowns in his high school career. He was primarily a linebacker.

Hall's high school numbers are comparable to Devin Wynn's coming out of high school. Wynn set all sorts of rushing records at a Class A school. Hall did it at a 6A school. Wynn, of course, ran for nearly 3,000 yards at Furman and was one of the top backs in program history.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #88640  by Sad Din
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:17 am
As good as GH might be, Dins have some quality RBs in front of him IMHO. Waiting to see what Smith does after his injury
 #88641  by AstroDin
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:53 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:48 am
A good look at Gavin Hall from his Instagram feed… dude doesn't look like a freshman!
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9XkAk5szci ... mg_index=1

I know there is some consternation about Roberto graduating and depth at Running Back. I, for one, have never really been concerned with Furman's ability to develop quality running backs.

I did, however, find this interesting.

His junior and senior year, Gavin Hall rushed for 4,156 yards and 56 touchdowns (I'm not even counting passing or receiving yards).

Dominic Roberto rushed for 330 yards and five touchdowns in his high school career. He was primarily a linebacker.

Hall's high school numbers are comparable to Devin Wynn's coming out of high school. Wynn set all sorts of rushing records at a Class A school. Hall did it at a 6A school. Wynn, of course, ran for nearly 3,000 yards at Furman and was one of the top backs in program history.
Hall also only played RB exclusively in his senior year.
When Furman and Marsha offered, he was listed as a quarterback/athlete; Gavin then transferred to Gainesville to play RB. In his junior year, his combined numbers rushing and passing were 4,337 yards and 50 touchdowns.
 #88642  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:22 am
Paladins report 2 weeks from today. Is Smith going to play this year? He got hurt late last year and rehab was a year plus IIRC.
Paul C liked this
 #88643  by AstroDin
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:33 am
Since we're edging closer to the start of pre-season practice, I'd also watch Devin Hester Jr. Since graduating, he's been working on route running and speed; I think he's serious about getting playing time as a freshman.

Colton Hinton is an example of how well this staff evaluates talent, the system, and the roles of its players. I could see Hester having a similar impact. He's a track guy, very shifty, and runs crisp routes.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by FUATT

Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:57 pm

Default Avatar Game postponed

by gofurman

Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:20 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:04 pm

Default Avatar 2024-2025 Schedule Released

by Affirm

Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:37 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman. Samford

by Affirm

Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:01 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.