• 2025 Recruiting

#88538  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:54 pm
When is the last time we returned a ko for a td?
the answer is TOO LONG AGO. that is the answer.

MONTANA vs us? too soon? these are the things that win games when the game is close. don't give me that whine and cheese UNC junk about Montana holding either. That's on the refs.

Why don't we just do it too and run our own damn KO back once or twice a year. instead of every other year. or AT LEAST get to the freakin 50 yard line... there was a while there we couldn't get to our own 30 in numerous games. Just getting to the 50 is a HUGE advantage..

guess at TEAM NEEDS:
OL
QB
Special teams help like KO returns
DL
 #88539  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:25 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:57 pm
Well, I got one right! Connor Adams commits! He had offers from Kent State, UMass, VMI, Richmond, Morgan St, Stony Brook, and CCSU.

Wow. He picked us over VMI !!!!
 #88541  by AstroDin
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:31 pm
GoFu… I don't get your point. Anyways!
This is a helluva class!
So far, there is a big emphasis on the offense.
 #88543  by AstroDin
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:53 pm
Maybe I just didn't notice during last year's recruiting, but this year Tafon Mainsah and Justin Roper have been very active on X. Both appear to be excellent recruiters.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #88544  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:02 pm
Does anyone know how many scholarships freed up after that exceptionally large senior class graduated?
 #88545  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:36 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:53 pm
Maybe I just didn't notice during last year's recruiting, but this year Tafon Mainsah and Justin Roper have been very active on X. Both appear to be excellent recruiters.
Both were active last year but I feel like Roper has been more active this year. Mainsah is by far the most active on twitter. The rest of the coaches do a little here and there. He has some work to do with the youth at DB this year, but I think we are lucky to have Coach Mainsah.
 #88546  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:40 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Does anyone know how many scholarships freed up after that exceptionally large senior class graduated?
I have a chart I’ll have to check but I think we’re fairly close to the 63 limit. We added a good number of guys the last two years, so don’t think we’re short. I imagine we’ll return to the more traditional 14-17 man classes going forward now. I imagine we’ll sign 13-15 considering we have RS SR/Grads leaving. Those numbers are a little tricky though because a few guys still have a 6th year they could take and some guys will leave early.
 #88549  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:21 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
I have a chart I’ll have to check but I think we’re fairly close to the 63 limit. We added a good number of guys the last two years, so don’t think we’re short. I imagine we’ll return to the more traditional 14-17 man classes going forward now. I imagine we’ll sign 13-15 considering we have RS SR/Grads leaving. Those numbers are a little tricky though because a few guys still have a 6th year they could take and some guys will leave early.
You have a chart?

Aren’t we still giving partials and splitting up scholarships?

If so, how do you know who has how much money in order to track scholarships available when certain guys depart?

That info was guarded like state secrets back in the day…maybe not so much now…but FUBeAR’s curiosity still stands.

Like Richard Pryor once inquired about a Thermos … “How do it know?”
 #88550  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:21 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
You have a chart?

Aren’t we still giving partials and splitting up scholarships?

If so, how do you know who has how much money in order to track scholarships available when certain guys depart?

That info was guarded like state secrets back in the day…maybe not so much now…but FUBeAR’s curiosity still stands.

Like Richard Pryor once inquired about a Thermos … “How do it know?”
It’s not exact. I use the guys listed on signing day releases and transfers and assume they are getting the majority of the money. They’re probably split up to some guys I’m not counting, but most of the time the numbers still end up around 63. In regards to the numbers for this class, again it’s just a guess but you use the 5th/6th year guys as a starting point and then assume a few of the RS juniors will be moving on as well because they usually do.
 #88551  by Dins&Heels
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:54 pm
This recruiting and commitment info is awesome and much appreciated! Seems like the past couple recruiting cycles we’re getting numerous guys choosing FU over some big time offers. Feeling like we’re stacking talent that could be making some serious runs at some Natty’s in the coming years.
FUwolfpacker, AstroDin liked this
 #88552  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

MONTANA vs us? too soon? these are the things that win games when the game is close. don't give me that whine and cheese UNC junk about Montana holding either. That's on the refs.

Why don't we just do it too and run our own damn KO back once or twice a year. instead of every other year. or AT LEAST get to the freakin 50 yard line... there was a while there we couldn't get to our own 30 in numerous games. Just getting to the 50 is a HUGE advantage..

guess at TEAM NEEDS:
OL
QB
DL
You might be surprised to know that last season Furman led the Southern Conference in kick return average and was top 20 nationally.

You can call it whining, but Montana's opening kick return was made possible by several penalties. Returning kicks gets a lot easier when you can tackle the coverage team before they get to the return man.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88553  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

guess at TEAM NEEDS:
OL
QB
DL
You might be surprised to know that last season Furman led the Southern Conference in kick return average and was top 20 nationally.

You can call it whining, but Montana's opening kick return was made possible by several penalties. Returning kicks gets a lot easier when you can tackle the coverage team before they get to the return man.
 #88554  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:36 pm
You can rewatch this over and over, pick out a new Furman player each time, and likely see a penalty if not multiple penalties.

#88555  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:43 pm
FUBeAR- Inwatched the replay about a month ago and ran that ko back several times. Boggles your mind that the refs missed so many obvious holds, blocks in the back etc. It was like they were not ready for the game to start. Pitiful.
 #88559  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:43 pm
FUBeAR- Inwatched the replay about a month ago and ran that ko back several times. Boggles your mind that the refs missed so many obvious holds, blocks in the back etc. It was like they were not ready for the game to start. Pitiful.
The PR TD was almost as bad. Harder to see, but multiple blocks in the back … just as there were when they had a PR TD vs. NDSU the following week.

The Griz were ‘advanced’ to the finals by 3 Returns TD’s that made all the difference in 2 OT games in their Home Stadium.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:55 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:35 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.