• Clemson game thread

#3175  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 am
Fake news. Quote from Herbie on College Gameday, "Clempson will be up by 40 something midway the second quarter". :x
 #3180  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm
It's almost midway 2nd quarter. ;) Of course would rather be ahead, but pretty good so far considering the situation. Lincoln is a better passer than I thought. We might play 2 QBs for awhile, but my guess is he will win the starting job sooner rather than later. We've had 2 bad snaps. Self-inflicted injuries; got to cut those out.
 #3181  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:25 pm
Gotta be encouraged so far. We're making mistakes, experimenting and OL can't really hold up but we look quite formidable on D and I like what we're trying to do on O. Young guys look hungry. Go 'dins.
 #3184  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:07 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm
It's almost midway 2nd quarter. ;) Of course would rather be ahead, but pretty good so far considering the situation. Lincoln is a better passer than I thought. We might play 2 QBs for awhile, but my guess is he will win the starting job sooner rather than later. We've had 2 bad snaps. Self-inflicted injuries; got to cut those out.
We've got a new center and Clemson's got some animals on the defensive line. It's easy to get worried about blocking those guys and losing the snap.
 #3185  by fufanatic
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:10 pm
First: Our D is awesome and will be elite this year at the FCS level. Very impressed considering they were put in some tough situations. Fully acknowledging the D we are facing, pretty disappointed in O and special teams so far. Three runs up the gut to start game. Didn’t even let Harris use his arm I don’t think. Bad snap was a killer. Fair catch on two yard line. Bad punt set up final TD. So lots to clean up that had nothing to do with Clemson D. But really impressed with Lincoln. Had thought he would win job starting year, and everything that I saw so far tells me he will win it very soon. Let’s have a great second half!
 #3186  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:15 pm
fufanatic wrote:
First: Our D is awesome and will be elite this year at the FCS level. Very impressed considering they were put in some tough situations. Fully acknowledging the D we are facing, pretty disappointed in O and special teams so far. Three runs up the gut to start game. Didn’t even let Harris use his arm I don’t think. Bad snap was a killer. Fair catch on two yard line. Bad punt set up final TD. So lots to clean up that had nothing to do with Clemson D. But really impressed with Lincoln. Had thought he would win job starting year, and everything that I saw so far tells me he will win it very soon. Let’s have a great second half!
Furman was down 27-0 at the half. Easily could have been 13-0.

Just looking around, FAU was losing to Oklahoma 42-0 before the half. USC is beating Coastal 35-6. So, Furman is playing better than those FBS programs against a better team.
 #3187  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 pm
The call at the end of the half was BS. The first angle from the end zone showed he was clearly out. They never showed it again. They kept showing the other angle which looked like he was in. So one camera shows in, one shows out where is the indisputable part?? I guess HR was just a token starter. I agree it will be Lincoln and Grainger and very well could be Grainger. I have not been a fan of the play calling today., especially on second down. The few times we had 5 or 6 yds on first down we've come back with a run up the middle for nothing.
FUBeAR, Jasper, Davemeister liked this
 #3188  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
The call at the end of the half was BS. The first angle from the end zone showed he was clearly out. They never showed it again. They kept showing the other angle which looked like he was in. So one camera shows in, one shows out where is the indisputable part?? I guess HR was just a token starter. I agree it will be Lincoln and Grainger and very well could be Grainger. I have not been a fan of the play calling today., especially on second down. The few times we had 5 or 6 yds on first down we've come back with a run up the middle for nothing.
Playcalling here really doesn't matter. Our slow developing play action passing game doesn't work against this defense.

Remember, Clemson is one of the few FBS teams that sees the option routinely.
 #3189  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 pm
Need the offense to get something going here and give our defense a break.

I'm not a fan of rotating QBs. I have to think the staff is getting a look at Grainger in a game that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme. Looks like Lincoln is probably the guy.
 #3190  by fufanatic
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:15 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Furman was down 27-0 at the half. Easily could have been 13-0.

Just looking around, FAU was losing to Oklahoma 42-0 before the half. USC is beating Coastal 35-6. So, Furman is playing better than those FBS programs against a better team.
Thought the same thing. Could be much worse and unfortunately starting to head that way now.
 #3191  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:42 pm
End of 3rd quarter. Defense is wearing down now, which was probably inevitable. Grainger is young and raw but has a lot of potential. A lot of good things are happening today.
76MrMoto liked this
 #3192  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:44 pm
Had to give them one sooner or later. This one is going to look as bad as CU's game with Citadel last year. :(
 #3193  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 pm
ready for elon game
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #3194  by gman
 Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
He was clearly in. It was the right call. My wife thought the same thing. I don't know what some of you were expecting. We are using a young QB and Clay is having to rebuild this team. We are playing against an elite college football team that is 3 to 4 deep in every position with great players. We are playing hard. We just don't have the depth or talent to stay with a team of this caliber. I don't care about this game. Like I said before, just play hard, don't let anyone get hurt, take the money and come back home hungry to beat Elon. Next weeks game is much more important that today.
Last edited by gman on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mathprofhiker, din23, dornb and 2 others liked this