• Preseason '24

#88420  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:55 pm
DEFENSIVE LINE:
Nose Guard-(4) Xavier Stephens and 3 have not played.
Defensive End-(4) Jerimiah Jackson(12 tackles last year) and 3 have not played.
Defensive Tackle-(4) 1 career tackle total, 3 have not played.
Summary-2 players have played out of the 12 with one being elite. 10 of the 12 DL have not played. Only CCH and staff knows why this obviously inexperienced group was not addressed with the portal. A head scratcher for sure. Maybe CCH has bern talking to Dabo?
 #88422  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:32 pm
Players report one month from today.
 #88423  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
DEFENSIVE LINE:
Summary-2 players have played out of the 12 with one being elite. 10 of the 12 DL have not played. Only CCH and staff knows why this obviously inexperienced group was not addressed with the portal. A head scratcher for sure. Maybe CCH has bern talking to Dabo?
First, if the coaching staff was gravely concerned about our defensive line depth, they likely would have addressed it in the transfer portal. They haven't yet, so they probably aren't that concerned.

Second, you keep saying "have not played" and it's still wrong every time you say it. You can believe me or look it up yourself. There's literally photos of these guys playing.
 #88424  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:38 pm
Can one of you super smart dudes list the probable order of OL (best 10 I guess). First and 2nd string at each position maybe. Hate we lost the super big guy (name escapes me but he was a starter and slated to be one of the few returners and then left or something
Just my uneducated guess:

Center:

- Chris Luna. Luna seems to have a lot of fans. He was frequently dressed out with the road squad as a freshman. They didn't need him, but I think he's got a high ceiling.

- Ryan Lamb is a versatile interior OL who has played at OG and Center.

Guard

- I'm guessing EJ Wilson is probably the guy at RG. He was Johanning's backup last season and started in his absence. Has 27 games under his belt and is a redshirt senior.

- Luke Petit, if healthy, seems likely to be the one to reassume LG. He won that starting job last year.

- Steven O'Dell is a true freshman, but at 6'7 300, is a big hombre.

Tackle

- Blake Hundley is a mix and match guy at OG and OT. He was already on the two deep at RT last season.

- Eli Brasher. Already listed on the two deep at LT last season.
Jackal, first. a big Thank you ! Sincerely.

And I am not negative. Factually - Injuries can be a lot. We had 5 RBs last year and got down to 1 or 2. The loss of Roberto was devastating.

Center is hopefully OK

The concerns would be you need 4 OG and by the third we are already listing a true freshman. Not opportune. You would hope we would. Have 4 OG at Sophomore or R-Sophomore or older

Also at Tackle we need 4. I see 2 listed. Do we have backups as Sophomore or older?
Furman, philosophically, spends a lot of time cross training linemen at multiple positions.

I would expect there will be some veteran guys that will back up multiple spots.
 #88426  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
DEFENSIVE LINE:
First, if the coaching staff was gravely concerned about our defensive line depth, they likely would have addressed it in the transfer portal. They haven't yet, so they probably aren't that concerned.

Second, you keep saying "have not played" and it's still wrong every time you say it. You can believe me or look it up yourself. There's literally photos of these guys playing.
Ok according to the bios on the FU page from last year stats:
Player. Games. Tackles
Stephens. 13. 35
Jackson. 13. 12
Harrison. 5. 1(assisted)
Dudek. 4. 4
Alabi. 1. 0
Stoneking 1. 1(assisted)
Have not played: (6) Dobbins, Kauserud, Baldwin, Hernandez, Bussey, Knauber. All are either freshmen or redshirt freshmen. So Stephens and Jackson played in every game last year. Harrison and Dudek have only played in a few games(5&4) in mop up time. Alabi and Stoneking only appeared briefly in one game. Besides Stphens and Jackson the other 10 combined have a career total of 2 solos and 4 assisted tackles. So if you want to count the last 4 just getting on the field as having played then ok. IMHO we have 2 players out of the 12 that have played.
 #88427  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
DEFENSIVE LINE:

Ok according to the bios on the FU page from last year stats:
Player. Games. Tackles
Stephens. 13. 35
Jackson. 13. 12
Harrison. 5. 1(assisted)
Dudek. 4. 4
Alabi. 1. 0
Stoneking 1. 1(assisted)
Have not played: (6) Dobbins, Kauserud, Baldwin, Hernandez, Bussey, Knauber. All are either freshmen or redshirt freshmen. So Stephens and Jackson played in every game last year. Harrison and Dudek have only played in a few games(5&4) in mop up time. Alabi and Stoneking only appeared briefly in one game. Besides Stphens and Jackson the other 10 combined have a career total of 2 solos and 4 assisted tackles. So if you want to count the last 4 just getting on the field as having played then ok. IMHO we have 2 players out of the 12 that have played.
If you have concerns that the defensive line does not have as much in-game experience as you would prefer, then that's fine. You can make that argument.

I would also note that most of the players you highlight with no game experience are true freshman. They haven't even reported to Furman yet. So, no great shock they have not played much considering they were in high school two months ago. You can also do that for every college football team in the country.

Beyond that, I do not think your assumptions hold a lot of weight.

It's not uncommon for Furman to run out "inexperienced" defensive linemen. Just off the top of my head:
- Bryce Stanfield played extensively as a true freshman.
- Cam Coleman had mop up duty as a true freshman and then started as a redshirt freshman.
- Parker Stokes played a lot as a true freshman
- Jaylan Reid went from scout team player to starter as a redshirt freshman.
- Matt Sochovka went from playing three games a redshirt freshman to starting the next season
- Jack Barton was an undersized lineman that played sparingly his first three seasons. He had something like 6 tackles in 3 seasons. In 2022, he became one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the conference and anchored one of the nation's best defenses.

It is not uncommon for Furman to run out inexperienced, yet talented, players along the defensive line. We do it all the time.

If Furman ran out crappy defenses every season, then maybe I would be concerned. They don't. Furman puts arguably the conference's best defenses on the field every season. So, you can't really argue this approach doesn't work. Furman recruits well. Develops well. And the guys are ready to play when their name is called.

Furman rotates their linemen constantly. Even for those guys that have not seen a lot of game time, a number of them will have well over 100 snaps to their credit before even sniffing the first SoCon opponent.

Remember, too, most of these guys aren't brand new to Furman. They've been in the program several years. They've worked behind all conference and all American players. They've practiced against the SoCon's top offensive linemen every day.

Trust the process.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by tim

Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:57 am

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:23 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Recruiting

by Sad Din

Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:06 pm

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:48 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.