The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm
Not to be too dramatic but this will be the best team Furman has ever played. I am pretty sure we have never played a #1 or #2 FBS team.
They’ve literally done nothing in 2018 to deserve the accolade of “best team Furman has played.”

Good time to remember up until September 1, 2007, everyone thought Michigan was a top 5 team too.
True. But Michigan is in the BIG TEN. LOL. That's a world apart from Southern Speed. It just is. We did well vs MSU recently. MSU conference ? BIG. Coincidence? I think not.

Plus Michigan wasn't quite like Clemson - not in two of last 3 NATIONAL TITLES

More importantly, as FUBeAR attested, it's about DEPTH. And depth on September first is worn down quickly. When did we upset UNC ? OCTOBER. (I know, they had a third or fourth string QB). But Someone once posted some list of our last FBS Scores. The ones played Sept 15th or later were clearly better.

It's a huge advantage to the FBS team to play this game on a hot Southern day in the first week. Just looked. We beat that UNC team on October 30. So heat was no longer a factor. And again, I know that UNC team was hampered but heat is a big part of these games. It can be brutal the first game or three around here

In 2007 Michigan was actually a lot like Clemson. They were 11-2 in 2006, losing in the last game of the regular season (No. 1 OSU) and then in the Rose Bowl. They were ranked as high as #2. Had the 2006 Michigan team played in the current era of the college football playoff (like Clemson currently does), they almost certainly would have made the semifinal (like Clemson).

I don't buy "southern speed" by the way. North Dakota State fans have shoved that phrase down everyone's throats for a number of years now.
I meant Southern Speed for FBS which is whom we are playing. Bama and Clemson and Bama, Bama and more Bama. Oh, and Auburn. Only OSU has won one otherwise. It's been pretty much only the Southland for a decade in FBS

You are correct in FCS.
Anyway, here's to a good season for Paladins. Stay healthy and I would love to beat Elon. That one worries me as their QB is now a soph and was very good - and the biggest improvement in QB is often FR to SOPH. I really want Elon. Citadel and Woff

The good news is Furman can get all their first game "jitters" out of the way against the least important team on our schedule.
 #3024  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am
I think it is very important to avoid a "beatdown" and to be competitive with Clemson. I cannot really expect to beat one of the best teams in the nation but I would like for them to know they were in a football game. A game full of "3 and outs", fumbles, picks and defensive errors is very debilitating to the player's psyche and difficult to get over quickly. I have spoken with several of the players this past week and they are very excited about this opportunity and are expecting to be in a good football game. Let's hope for an injury free game that they can be proud of.
 #3030  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am
Jasper wrote:
I have spoken with several of the players this past week and they are very excited about this opportunity and are expecting to be in a good football game.
While they may not have said it to you (and they probably shouldn't), I hope they are EXPECTING TO WIN a good football game.

If they aren't, then they won't be "in a good football game." They'll be getting beat like a gub-mint mule.

If I know Coach Hendrix like I think I know Coach Hendrix, then I expect that they are EXPECTING TO WIN.
dornb liked this
 #3033  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am
FYI- Bryant has been named the starting QB for the Furman game. Of course CU expects everyone that dresses will play and play a lot. I hope they are totally wrong.
 #3038  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:54 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am
Jasper wrote:
I have spoken with several of the players this past week and they are very excited about this opportunity and are expecting to be in a good football game.
While they may not have said it to you (and they probably shouldn't), I hope they are EXPECTING TO WIN a good football game.

If they aren't, then they won't be "in a good football game." They'll be getting beat like a gub-mint mule.

If I know Coach Hendrix like I think I know Coach Hendrix, then I expect that they are EXPECTING TO WIN.
You are right, BeAR. I think they are expecting to win without saying so.
 #3058  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am
FYI- Bryant has been named the starting QB for the Furman game. Of course CU expects everyone that dresses will play and play a lot. I hope they are totally wrong.

This is always worth posting again.
FUBeAR, Bootie, Riz Dawg liked this
 #3059  by Paladin91
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:12 pm
Given that Amir Trapp played for Clemson last year, I'd imagine he has pretty good knowledge of their offensive and defensive playbook. He should have as good a read on Kelly Bryant's weaknesses as anyone.
 #3080  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:18 pm
https://clemson.rivals.com/news/dabo-sw ... conference
“They have 10 of 11 starters back on defense who are juniors and seniors. They’re a veteran team with a lot of experience. All of their defensive linemen are back. They have a good group that knows what they’re doing.

“Offensively, to be honest with you it’s stressful to watch them. They do a great job. Shifts and motions, option offense, traditional spread looks, etc. They really stress you and do a great job with their play action game. They can expose you in a heartbeat. They threw the ball 20 times a game last year, but averaged 17 yards a catch. It’s built off of their option principles. This will be a challenge. Each opener is tough because you have not played. It’s easy to see why they’ve had the success they’ve had.
 #3162  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 am
FYI… per Clemson twitter Harris Roberts gets to run down the hill with the Tigers??? I now cannot find the tweet, I wonder if this was posted and then pulled??? I've started to look into this a bit… me thinks it's all faked, kinda funny that the Harris Roberts thing is getting so much press and play and then stuff like this.
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/H ... 6?tstart=0
 #3165  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 am
FYI… per Clemson twitter Harris Roberts gets to run down the hill with the Tigers??? I now cannot find the tweet, I wonder if this was posted and then pulled??? I've started to look into this a bit… me thinks it's all faked, kinda funny that the Harris Roberts thing is getting so much press and play and then stuff like this.
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/H ... 6?tstart=0
I think that's a pretty funny joke that fooled almost everyone on the message board.
 #3167  by Flagman
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:21 pm
The weak minded are easily fooled. Check Trump's twitter feed for the original post.
PaladinDad, gman, fufanatic and 2 others liked this