• Changing times ...

#88030  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:42 pm
More than likely the “bogus” classes only exist on paper. Remember the UNC thingy. Players were given grades for non-existent classes and the NCAA did nothing.
Pretty sure they put Wright State on probation to punish UNC.
 #88031  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:42 pm
sluggo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:57 pm
In college nowadays (maybe not when you played) and at most schools (maybe not FU) many, many athletes take bogus courses and receive bogus grades. Everybody knows this. So it’s difficult to do legitimate comparisons to stoners and such because the stoners flunk and nobody cares.

HS sports definitely encourage attendance which of course increases graduation rates. Athletes aren’t allowed to exceed absentee limits by too much. And they have to get D’s. In my experience, basketball and FB players are mostly in middle level classes, but a large number are in remedial classes. The kicker, maybe QB, golfers, soccer might take AP.

So while sports are a great influence, let’s be real. HS athletes mostly scrape by with C’s and D’s in unbelievably easy classes. The ones who get the occasional B might get a scholarship (but not to FU).

Why do schools offer "bogus classes"? Is it a conspiracy?
They can't take bogus classes that aren't offered.

"Everybody knows this". I'm reminded of the phrase "She F'd her way to the top", when I hear that.
Men who failed spewed that one a lot.

Find a kicker, QB, golfer or soccer player that majored in computer science and math at Furman, like I did? LOL!
I was the "fat dumb lineman" who tutored them.

Where is the proof of what you say; besides "everybody knows"?
Everybody knows a lot in bias stuff about other people, and they are typically not even involved in any of the
processes of evaluating the students at any level.

My experience is that offensive linemen make higher grades; but that's never the stereotype.
The "fat and stupid" stereotype prevails despite the reality.

What sport did you dominate in at Furman?
What does your HOF college experience 40 yrs ago have to do with anything? I wasn’t talking about outliers like FU, and I wasn’t talking about freaking 1980. I was talking about typical programs NOW. I even said that the kids who’re barely eligible for scholarships elsewhere won’t get them from FU.

When I’m talking about who takes AP I’m talking about who’s taken what in the past 5 years I’ve substituted all over Aiken County which is a middle/upper SC county for education. If you think those classes are full of FB players, you’re delusional. In a class of 25, you might have 2-3. Maybe 5% of a team. Over 5 yrs I’ve seen 5 in those classes who were actual factors on the field. Two were kicker brothers (oldest starts for Iowa). Don’t think I’ve seen a basketball player yet. But there are always plenty of soccer, tennis, golf guys in there.

I didn’t dominate anything at FU. Even in HS the tennis team I played only got 4A runner up in ‘78. Didn’t play college. I tutored rocks for jocks. My FB players were not geniuses.

Did it ever occur to FB players of that era that maybe people didn’t like you because too many of your group were dickheads at keg parties and stuff? That’s what I remember. Nobody was jealous of the guys who lost to PC.
 #88033  by sluggo
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:42 pm
More than likely the “bogus” classes only exist on paper. Remember the UNC thingy. Players were given grades for non-existent classes and the NCAA did nothing.
"One off" cases don't prove broad conspiracies.
 #88034  by sluggo
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:53 pm
OK my last sentence was mean.
"Mean"? It was more like comedy.
At least you admit you had some "dislike" for footballers.
We didn't act like dicks; we just left with all the chicks.

:D
 #88035  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Did it ever occur to FB players of that era that maybe people didn’t like you because too many of your group were dickheads at keg parties and stuff? That’s what I remember. Nobody was jealous of the guys who lost to PC.
Did it ever occur to FB players of that era that maybe people didn’t like you - NOPE, that definitely never occurred to any of us. Never. That would be like us acknowledging, at the time, that we were mere mortals. Just wasn’t part of the mindset.

too many of your group were dickheads at keg parties - YEP - assuming that also includes stealing the kegs & starting our own keg party with your beer, right?

and stuff - Vague, probably true

That’s what I remember. - Congrats. We all have CTE and remember nothing…accurately

Nobody was jealous of the guys who lost to PC. - 1 time…cuz our SoCon POY QB went color-blind & threw 5 picks…and he NEVER attended any keg parties! We also beat South Carolina, Georgia Tech, and NC State 2x … and won 5 SoCon Championships … c’mon… ’fess up…you were a little jealous. Heck, we were jealous of the hoops dudes. Those cats were getting PAID!!!
 #88036  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:27 pm
sluggo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:57 pm
In college nowadays (maybe not when you played) and at most schools (maybe not FU) many, many athletes take bogus courses and receive bogus grades. Everybody knows this. So it’s difficult to do legitimate comparisons to stoners and such because the stoners flunk and nobody cares.

HS sports definitely encourage attendance which of course increases graduation rates. Athletes aren’t allowed to exceed absentee limits by too much. And they have to get D’s. In my experience, basketball and FB players are mostly in middle level classes, but a large number are in remedial classes. The kicker, maybe QB, golfers, soccer might take AP.

So while sports are a great influence, let’s be real. HS athletes mostly scrape by with C’s and D’s in unbelievably easy classes. The ones who get the occasional B might get a scholarship (but not to FU).

Why do schools offer "bogus classes"? Is it a conspiracy?
They can't take bogus classes that aren't offered.

"Everybody knows this". I'm reminded of the phrase "She F'd her way to the top", when I hear that.
Men who failed spewed that one a lot.

Find a kicker, QB, golfer or soccer player that majored in computer science and math at Furman, like I did? LOL!
I was the "fat dumb lineman" who tutored them.

Where is the proof of what you say; besides "everybody knows"?
Everybody knows a lot in bias stuff about other people, and they are typically not even involved in any of the
processes of evaluating the students at any level.

My experience is that offensive linemen make higher grades; but that's never the stereotype.
The "fat and stupid" stereotype prevails despite the reality.

What sport did you dominate in at Furman?
Have to take Sluggo's side on this one. I was on the golf team at FU back in the 70's and had several fraternity brothers that were football players and also knew several others. We had some smart guys on the golf team but we also had a couple that were barely eligible. If I was a betting man I would have bet that the football team had a higher GPA than the golf team. My football playing friends and acquaintances all have had successful careers. Everybody is retired now but one was a lawyer, one an insurance executive, one in industrial management, one in sales management, one a healthcare executive, and one a general in the Army. Not too bad. And that was just the ones I knew. The golf team hasn't done too bad either.

I'm semi retired now but a young guy in our organization that has been with us about 5 or 6 years and is absolutely killing it is a former football All American lineman from 2 national championship teams at Alabama.

I know these are anecdotes but the stereotype of football players and athletes in general being dumb is way overblown, just like most stereotypes.
sluggo liked this
 #88037  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:37 pm
As I think I responded above, FU in the 1970’s is not in anyway relevant to what’s going on at most schools in 2024. And sure, lots of FB players are great students, but it’s a small and shrinking %. Sorry. That’s real life. Furman is an outlier. Can’t believe I have to defend that position.
 #88039  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:02 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Did it ever occur to FB players of that era that maybe people didn’t like you - NOPE, that definitely never occurred to any of us. Never. That would be like us acknowledging, at the time, that we were mere mortals. Just wasn’t part of the mindset.

too many of your group were dickheads at keg parties - YEP - assuming that also includes stealing the kegs & starting our own keg party with your beer, right?

and stuff - Vague, probably true

That’s what I remember. - Congrats. We all have CTE and remember nothing…accurately

Nobody was jealous of the guys who lost to PC. - 1 time…cuz our SoCon POY QB went color-blind & threw 5 picks…and he NEVER attended any keg parties! We also beat South Carolina, Georgia Tech, and NC State 2x … and won 5 SoCon Championships … c’mon… ’fess up…you were a little jealous. Heck, we were jealous of the hoops dudes. Those cats were getting PAID!!!
I’m sorry we were so mean to the football players. You’re right, we were all jealous of FB players access to those awesome Furman babes. We should have given you those damn kegs, but we were insensitive. It was our fault, our own most grievous fault.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88046  by gman84
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:04 am
I have enjoyed this thread. Fond memories of keg parties at the old Textile Hall and Woodwinds apts. To be honest…if you were a guy at those keg parties, after mass quantities of cheap beer, you became a dick.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88049  by sluggo
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:24 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I’m sorry we were so mean to the football players. You’re right, we were all jealous of FB players access to those awesome Furman babes. We should have given you those damn kegs, but we were insensitive. It was our fault, our own most grievous fault.
I can only confirm that FuBear was a dickhead at keg parties as he held one at our apartment even after I voted no; because the next day was my first day serving in the army reserve. I actually nodded off during my duty.
My wood cabinet Jenson speakers were played so loud that they vibrated off the shelf, crash and broke.
:(
FUBeAR, cavedweller2, QCGlue liked this
 #88050  by Davemeister
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We should have given you those damn kegs, but we were insensitive.

So true. An O Lineman should never have to make a midnight Beer Run to Walmart.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88051  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:19 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
We should have given you those damn kegs, but we were insensitive.

So true. An O Lineman should never have to make a midnight Beer Run to Walmart.
Exactly - Didn’t we lose a very good D-Lineman one time in the 00’s cuz he had to do that … and forgot to pay? (FUBeAR could have his stories mixed up … CTE, y’know)

This was back when shoplifting was illegal.
 #88052  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:29 am
sluggo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:24 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I can only confirm that FuBear was a dickhead at keg parties as he held one at our apartment even after I voted no; because the next day was my first day serving in the army reserve. I actually nodded off during my duty.
My wood cabinet Jenson speakers were played so loud that they vibrated off the shelf, crash and broke.
:(
Had to do it…

FUBeAR’s & Alpha Nu’s public had expectations he and we had to meet. The very fabric of FU’s social scene was dependent upon those weekly many, many, many keg parties at the back corner of Woodwinds … that 3 BR was the best Apt in the best location in the complex! It was a low-rent, broke down Club Med back there.

And it wasn’t like the SAE’s or TKE’s had the ability to hold a weekly throw down and ensure all those FU coeds were regularly & properly serviced.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggo liked this
 #88054  by sluggo
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:49 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:29 am
Had to do it…

FUBeAR’s & Alpha Nu’s public had expectations he and we had to meet. The very fabric of FU’s social scene was dependent upon those weekly many, many, many keg parties at the back corner of Woodwinds … that 3 BR was the best Apt in the best location in the complex! It was a low-rent, broke down Club Med back there.

And it wasn’t like the SAE’s or TKE’s had the ability to hold a weekly throw down and ensure all the FU coeds were regularly & properly serviced.
That's all true; but for me on that day it was cruel and unusual punishment.
Well, OK, it wasn't unusual.
:lol:
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:55 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.