• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#77350  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:50 am
Also worth at least mentioning that Furman just played Samford, the SoCon team most stylistically close to Western Carolina. So, Furman just got a look at the fast paced spread offense.

Not sure if playing two such offenses in consecutive weeks is good, but at least we've seen it.
 #77352  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:02 am
A few thoughts…

Roberto said post-game that Furman simplified the offensive game plan for the Samford game.
This connected to what I heard Coach Roper say pre-game. Our offense last year didn't play consistently until the last two games of the regular season. Our best offensive games are ahead.

I love the mentality of this year's team. Jeremiah Jackson, who chased down the Samford QB to seal the win, said post-game. We prep for each team the same way, speaking of Western. I love the take care of the business attitude of this team.

Lastly, I about jumped out of my car seat when McMorris got to chat with Coach Vaughn. The Coach was I think, fired up! He said he told his players GATA - get after that ass - and we did that today.

Hell yeah!!!!
FUBeAR, Victor Greene liked this
 #77353  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also worth at least mentioning that Furman just played Samford, the SoCon team most stylistically close to Western Carolina. So, Furman just got a look at the fast paced spread offense.

Not sure if playing two such offenses in consecutive weeks is good, but at least we've seen it.
Did you hear the pre-game interview with Coach Vaughn?
He said they play with two scout teams to emulate a team like Samford. It increases reps. I thought that was brilliant.
FUBeAR liked this
 #77356  by wcugrad95
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:14 am
Regarding the Samford game preparing you for WCU. I'd say schematically I think WCU is a good bit different. Clearly we are a spread offense so there are some similarities there but we are not tryig to run at break-neck speed like we were when Bell first got to Cullowhee. We get to the line quickly and from time-to-time do go up-tempo, but most of the time we come to the line and make adjustments and are not really a fast-break offense like Samford. We are also going to be much more balanced running the football - we have been pretty close to 50/50 and our TOP (for whatever that is worth) is on average around 29 mins.

To add to some of the back-story and the records, WCU is also on a bit of a streak. The 5 in-a-row this season is obvious, but like Furman the Cats were having success late last season, too. WCU currently has an 8-game winning streak against FCS teams, and have won 6-straight against SOCON teams dating back to an inexpicable loss to Citadel in 2022. So these are both teams who have been building momentum.

It is interesting that FU's and Western's offenses are so different, yet we have seen both teams score at least 40 points each in the last two match-ups. As FUBeAR has pointed out, this could possibly be 2 top-5 teams. It has been awhile since the SOCON has had that kind of showdown. I expect it to be another good and probably close one.
FurmanATT liked this
 #77357  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:04 am
The Jackal wrote:

Did you hear the pre-game interview with Coach Vaughn?
He said they play with two scout teams to emulate a team like Samford. It increases reps. I thought that was brilliant.

I think playing a team like Samford puts a lot of pressure on the defensive system to get guys on and off the field. You have to be ready to play a bunch of guys.

What was so dominating about yesterday's effort is the pressure came from everywhere. There were no plays off. The defense was at full throttle the entire game and Samford struggled to deal with it.

Most impressive, perhaps, is that we were able to generate constant pressure without opening up running lanes. Everything was fast, physical, but under control.
AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #77364  by wcugrad95
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:10 am
I will also limit posting on here for the most part unless there is something worthwhile to share or refute - that is clearly aimed at FUBeAR :D

But if you do have WCU questions feel free to throw them my way here or on AGS. Your board so I am not going to fill it with info about Western.
 #77380  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:33 pm
Ok, I watched a little bit of Western.

They are an interesting contrast to Furman. They are not particularly big on offense - a lot of their skill guys are 6'0 or shorter, but most of them can really run. Furman's defense is going to need to get their those guys on the ground, because they can take a short little throw and turn it into a 70 yard touchdown.

Defensively, to me, they look a lot like they did last season.

To be honest, the WCU offense just seems to out-athlete teams at points in the game. It's nothing different than what we've seen a bunch of over the years. Same game plan applies - tackle the man with the football. Pressure the QB. Force them to methodically work the ball downfield.
 #77385  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:49 pm
Some good info here:
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/10 ... notes.aspx
It’s really hard to complain when you read this article, I know the pot calling the kettle black, lol. Regardless of what happens Saturday and the rest of the season we have so much to be proud of and thankful for. Go Paladins!
 #77387  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:49 pm
Some good info here:
It’s really hard to complain when you read this article, I know the pot calling the kettke black, lol. Regardless of what happens Saturday and the rest of the season we have so much to be proud of and thankful for. Go Paladins!

Just having a little fun apaladin! ;)

As usual, great stuff from Hunter and his team!
apaladin, FUBeAR, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar The State of Furman Football

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:02 pm

Default Avatar AP and GF were right.

by FUATT

Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:06 pm

Default Avatar CSU game.

by FUATT

Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:00 pm

Default Avatar ESPN+

by furmandad

Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:27 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.