• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#90104  by Affirm
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:14 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:46 pm
Affirm wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:24 pm
So who are the teams we should try to get games with?
- Any who are typically ranked below (worse than) the top 5 or 7?
- Any who are typically ranked below (worse than) the top 14?
- Worse than typically top 20?
How do we predict who’s going to be ranked where 2 to 4 years in the future?
Who would be the “typically bottom 65” and would we really prefer to (and afford to) play them instead of any and all in the “typically top 65”.
I know
I know
I know
It is time to focus solely on our competitiveness in FCS.
Fun. A don’t play list.
Alabama
Ole Miss
TAMU
Texas
UO
Auburn
UT
UGA
U of F (they will get better)
LSU
OSU
Other OSU
TCU
Baylor
Michigan
Penn State
Wisconsin
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Since Father Dowd would probably force Marcus Freeman to be nice, we can probably play Notre Dame.
Thanks.
Good list.
Since UGA is only 106 miles away and UT is only 163 miles away, I would regret those 2 being on our future don't play list. At the same time, I do understand why you have both of those 2, as well as the other 19, on your "don't play list" of 21.
 #90105  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Who would be the “typically bottom 65” and would we really prefer to (and afford to) play them instead of any and all in the “typically top 65”.
I know
I know
I know
Fun. A don’t play list.
Alabama
Ole Miss
TAMU
Texas
UO
Auburn
UT
UGA
LSU
OSU
Other OSU
TCU
Baylor
Michigan
Penn State
Wisconsin
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Since Father Dowd would probably force Marcus Freeman to be nice, we can probably play Notre Dame.
CCH mentioned in the show today the difficulty of scheduling FBS schools located in the Southeast. You’re going to run into an Ol Miss occasionally.

Playing the SEC will always be rough, but the paycheck is worth it. The ACC isn’t as bad but the paychecks are much less. Don’t bother with a Group of 5 unless you want a measly payday, but a chance to win.

Like it was said. We have to cover an extra $300k a year now. Anyone willing to pay $500k+ should be on the schedule.
apaladin liked this
 #90120  by Furmanoid
 Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:10 am
I guess Ole Miss accomplished what they wanted as they moved up to #5 in the AP poll.
Exactly. That and Dart got a good start to a possible Heisman campaign. We got our check which I guess is all we care about.
 #90121  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:05 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Affirm wrote:
I know
I know
I know
Fun. A don’t play list.
Alabama
Ole Miss
TAMU
Texas
UO
Auburn
UT
UGA
LSU
OSU
Other OSU
TCU
Baylor
Michigan
Penn State
Wisconsin
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
CCH mentioned in the show today the difficulty of scheduling FBS schools located in the Southeast. You’re going to run into an Ol Miss occasionally.

Playing the SEC will always be rough, but the paycheck is worth it. The ACC isn’t as bad but the paychecks are much less. Don’t bother with a Group of 5 unless you want a measly payday, but a chance to win.

Like it was said. We have to cover an extra $300k a year now. Anyone willing to pay $500k+ should be on the schedule.
Entire FCS era (42 years - ?)

Regarding "Don’t bother with a Group of 5 unless you want a measly payday, but a chance to win. ", I would comment that it would be feasible to go for the measly payday at the 3 "Group of 5 schools" that are closest to us, since travel costs for team as well as for fans would be the most reasonable, and since a slight chance to win would exist:
Charlotte, 115 miles; Appalachian State 140 miles; and Georgia State, 153

Not easy to remember what schools were in what conference and what level, and when, but it seems that the schools below may be the only ones we've played that were, at the time we played them, in conferences that would be Group of 5 today (...or non-football today in the case of Big East, Pitt's conference in 2004, in which year Pitt shared the Big East Championship and played in the "BCS" Fiesta Bowl):
    2019 Georgia State (6-point loss)
      2015 Central Florida (1-point win)
        2004 Pitt (3-point loss in OT)
          2001 Wyoming (6-point loss)

Also interesting is noticing all the schools that we've played in FCS-era years, as FCS schools, that are in Group of 5 conferences today:
          not only Marshall, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, but also Coastal Carolina, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, Liberty, Nevada, Stephen F. Austin, Western Kentucky, UConn, Delaware, James Madison, maybe others (?).
           #90126  by apaladin
           Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:37 pm
          We could always play two FBS teams like we have done in the past(VPI and Ga. st) and several FCS teams are doing these days. UTC openes at UT and is at Ga. St this Saturday. Could play 2 group,of 5’s maybe?
          Last edited by apaladin on Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
           #90127  by FUBeAR
           Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:07 pm
          FUBeAR wrote:
          Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:08 pm
          FUwolfpacker wrote:
          Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:47 pm
          Unless there is a written agreement with Ole Miss that we can wear all white as well, there has to be a contrast in colors. An FCS team was penalized for that on Thursday. If there is an agreement in writing, then I’m confused as to why we’d want to also wear all white against a team doing a white out.

Ole Miss doesn’t release a depth chart so we don’t either. Ole miss does a white out at home so we get the ok to wear all white as well? That is some real FU energy if true! 😂
          FUBeAR believes … the home Team has the choice of uniform colors … BUT … If the Moles failed to properly communicate an intent to wear white or light colored uniforms, the default is that the Home Team wears darker jerseys. In such case, there cannot be an expectation that Furman would have traveled with anything other than (visiting) white jerseys. If they didn’t officially advise in advance, they can wear dark uniforms and Furman cannot send a GA over to Wal-Mart in Oxford and pick up a set of dark jerseys.
          Looks like FUBeAR may have been wrong (unsurprising) and that the visiting team owns the ‘right of refusal’ for a jersey color change from white.

Reckon if we did this to Ole Miss.?

If so … Might explain Coach Freshwater’s chicken-poop usage of 2 timeouts to try to wring out another score at the end of the half while already up 52-0.
           #90128  by Affirm
           Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:26 pm
          apaladin wrote:
          We could always play to FBS teams like we have done in the past(VPI and Ga. st) and several FCS teams are doing these days. UTC openes at UT and is at Ga. St this Saturday. Could play 2 group,of 5’s maybe?
          Not your fault, but I failed to communicate clearly.
          We have played only 4 “group of 5” games in our entire history in the FCS era. It is impractical now to play them except for those closest 3 that I named.
          May have to continue playing SEC teams-and maybe “nearby” ACC teams - if opportunities arise, for the needed money, even knowing that they ARE PROFESSIONAL teams.
           #90129  by gofurman
           Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:32 pm
          Affirm wrote:
          Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:26 pm
          apaladin wrote:
          We could always play to FBS teams like we have done in the past(VPI and Ga. st) and several FCS teams are doing these days. UTC openes at UT and is at Ga. St this Saturday. Could play 2 group,of 5’s maybe?
          Not your fault, but I failed to communicate clearly.
          We have played only 4 “group of 5” games in our entire history in the FCS era. It is impractical now to play them except for those closest 3 that I named.
          May have to continue playing SEC teams-and maybe “nearby” ACC teams - if opportunities arise, for the needed money, even knowing that they ARE PROFESSIONAL teams.
          RIGHT NOW. maybe change later. The ACC is not the SEC. if Duke or whomever - even V Tech - would pay 500k I’d MUCH RATHER play that. We can at least hang with em and I think that’s better practice. Better to practice vs someone with moderately more talent than a complete ø disparity. Just not sure how much we learn vs an Ole Miss

Both ways you get a check. But we want to LEARN also

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:00 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:55 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:35 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.