• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#77770  by The Cats
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:18 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:14 am
They all seemed concerned about what Paladin nation was bringing.
They are just curious if you're bringing more than that monster crowd of 150 fans you took to Samford last week...
 #77773  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:38 am
The Cats wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
They are just curious if you're bringing more than that monster crowd of 150 fans you took to Samford last week...
Bro, Western had about 80 people last year in Greenville :lol:

#77782  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:31 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:38 am
The Cats wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
Bro, Western had about 80 people last year in Greenville :lol:

Let’s be fair. FUBeAR counted 137 people on the WCU side in Paladin Stadium last Fall.

With a total enrollment of 11,637 on “class census day” in the Fall of 2022, that means Away Attendance @ FU was 1.18% of WCU’s enrollment.

With Furman’s enrollment, including graduate students, of 3006, Furman will need 35 people in attendance today to proportionally match WCU’s turnout in Greenville last year.

FUBeAR bets we’ll cover. Any lurking Cantamounts wanna take FUBeAR up on that wager?
FU Hoopla liked this
 #77783  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:36 am
Just looking at the depth chart, the Catamounts appear to have taken a page from Samford's book and tried to remake their defense through the transfer portal.

Like Samford, they appear to be a sort of hybrid 4-2-5 defensive alignment. Like Samford, they'll have a few stout bodies at DT/NT/MLB. Also like Samford, they'll give up a lot of size to Furman on the edges and the backfield.

I think this is at least the 3rd time in the last 4 games Furman has faced a defense that prefers the 3 safety look. We moved the ball pretty well on the other two.

How those safeties play the run will go a long way in WCU's efforts to slow down the Furman offense.
 #77784  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:40 am
I guess it's also worth noting a little intangible.

Furman players have played in big games like today's. They've played top matchups. They've played big games on the road. They played in San Antonio last year against a seemingly unstoppable offensive football team in the playoffs.

WCU players probably haven't played in these types of games. They have a good chunk of transfers. The Catamounts probably haven't had this much riding on a game in 20 years.

I have no idea who that favors.
 #77787  by wcugrad95
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:07 am
Regarding the mention of WCU building the defense through the portal, I agree that several of the guys did transfer to Western at some point. But I believe almost every one of them listed as the starter has come to WCU over the last several years - even A. Williams who transferred as an All-American is not starting.

C. Fisher - signed from high school
M. Alexander - transferred from GWU in ‘21 when we added his coach to our defensive staff
J. Gunn - signed from high school
J. Davis - transferred from Morgan State and started in ‘22 and again this season
H. McQueen - signed from high school
Va - signed from JuCo in ‘21 and started games in 22 and this season
E. Jones - signed from the same JuCo as Va in ‘21 and started games in 22 and this season
R. Gattison - signed in ‘19 out of Georgia Military
A. Keaton - signed out of high school
S. Dukes - signed out of high school
C. Williams - originally a walk-on at Alabama, transferred as a RS FR in ‘21

So that is very different than what Samford and historically UTC have done. Not a single starter listed was brought in as a hired gun/stop-gap kind of player. Same on offense - pretty much every player was recruited by or was brought in because of a previous relationship they had with this staff.

That doesn’t rally mean anything, but just pointing out this team is something Coach Bell has been building over his 2.5 years here and not a bunch of portal guys that helped us all of the sudden be good.

As for the big game comments, I also am wondering what difference it will make. WCU has to prove themselves and historically we have not done well in that situation. I had the same concerns about the WCU game at Chattanooga, but Western showed they are better than previous versions in that game.

I guess we are collectively about to find out if WCU has arrived, or if the Cats still have a ways to go.
FUeveryday liked this
 #77790  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:05 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:07 am
Regarding the mention of WCU building the defense through the portal, I agree that several of the guys did transfer to Western at some point. But I believe almost every one of them listed as the starter has come to WCU over the last several years - even A. Williams who transferred as an All-American is not starting.

C. Fisher - signed from high school
M. Alexander - transferred from GWU in ‘21 when we added his coach to our defensive staff
J. Gunn - signed from high school
J. Davis - transferred from Morgan State and started in ‘22 and again this season
H. McQueen - signed from high school
Va - signed from JuCo in ‘21 and started games in 22 and this season
E. Jones - signed from the same JuCo as Va in ‘21 and started games in 22 and this season
R. Gattison - signed in ‘19 out of Georgia Military
A. Keaton - signed out of high school
S. Dukes - signed out of high school
C. Williams - originally a walk-on at Alabama, transferred as a RS FR in ‘21

So that is very different than what Samford and historically UTC have done. Not a single starter listed was brought in as a hired gun/stop-gap kind of player. Same on offense - pretty much every player was recruited by or was brought in because of a previous relationship they had with this staff.

That doesn’t rally mean anything, but just pointing out this team is something Coach Bell has been building over his 2.5 years here and not a bunch of portal guys that helped us all of the sudden be good.

As for the big game comments, I also am wondering what difference it will make. WCU has to prove themselves and historically we have not done well in that situation. I had the same concerns about the WCU game at Chattanooga, but Western showed they are better than previous versions in that game.

I guess we are collectively about to find out if WCU has arrived, or if the Cats still have a ways to go.

Nah. Win or lose y’all have arrived. Let’s both go playoff bound !!
 #77791  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:11 pm
I suspect the experience gap may come in to play in terms of early game energy.

This was probably WCU's biggest home game of the season when the schedule came out. The Cats are coming off a bye week. They are playing at home and have a lot of national attention on this game.

I suspect the home team is going to be at risk of being almost too amped up early in the contest. Playing with intensity is good, playing with too much intensity can be a liability. Coach Bell is going to have to figure out how to get them in the right frame of mind and handle the ups and downs of the game.

Furman did a good job with that last week. It seemed every time Samford would get a big momentum play, Furman would answer immediately and steal the momentum right back. I think that was the mark of a veteran club knowing how to manage the moment.

I thought Furman's best play against Samford was the 48 yard RPO throw to Shiflett on their first offensive play after Samford scored a touchdown to pull the margin to three in the 3rd quarter. Just seemed to deflate Samford to put together a drive, score, and then Furman immediately get 50 yards back on the first play.
 #77919  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:34 pm
Something else worth nothing, I think.

Furman has 4 remaining regular season games, 3 of which they will be heavily favored (ETSU, Wofford, VMI)

Assuming WCU runs the table, the Furman/UTC game could set up a three way tiebreaker if Furman were to lose. The teams would be 1-1 against each other and had beaten everyone else.

Holding WCU to 17 points was huge, because remember the tie breaker eventually becomes points surrendered among the tied teams. WCU and UTC put up 50+ on each other. So, Furman should be in a good spot there assuming UTC doesn't open up a +33 point margin or something.
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.