• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#83227  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:05 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:27 am
Hope we can hold onto all our coaches.
I hope we constantly lose coaches because Clay hires great ones and Furman becomes known as a fantastic place to advance your career.
Always a tough one for me. I mean I don't want to lose CCH ! But yes, we want to get super assistants ... but I don't want to lose Roper or Vaughn. Heck, I don't know.
LOL
 #83228  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:16 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:43 am
gofurman, the FCS AP All American team was announced several days ago. You’ve been asking about Jay Person’s eligibility. The AP All Americans list the players names and what year. For instance, Johanning was listed as a Fifth Year. Jay Person is listed as a Sixth Year. Hope this helps.
furmandad - THANK YOU sir ! Nice, that is good stuff. I watch other teams and that dude is a DUDE ... Like Jackal said when he knocked Huff out of the game... off ALL the guys in the SoCon that's probably the one guy you dont want to leave purposely unblocked - he is too fast and nasty. wasn't our best play call
 #83229  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:21 am
We have had almost 100% turnover in coaches since Clay first arrived (everyone but Duane).
Do you feel like CCH currently has a worst staff than the first staff he had?
Many fans forget that change can also provide opportunity to improve.
I think we have as good a staff right now as we have had.
And if we don’t lose some, Clay has done a poor job.
Great man - but I think losing "that guy" to ETSU helped us immensely. Just not a fit for some reason. Clearly we gained greatly when he went to ETSU
 #83230  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 pm
Ok, so there are no reported offers out there right now. These guys are followed by one or more of our coaches. Most of them come from Coach Verna. It's important to remember that absolutely nothing could come from these names. I have no inside info into how serious the interest is with any of these guys. I do think it shows what positions the staff is looking to shore up with the portal though.

I think it's been fairly obvious that we have to get a portal TE considering how many 2 TE sets we ran last year. I love the potential pass catching options with Tormey and Pryor, but they both still probably need to add weight. Unless Tormey puts on 20+ pounds before next year, getting a guy is probably fairly important here.

With the number of grad transfers we've had on the O-line, it's not surprising to see interest in several guys here as well. There were several other Ivy league guys, but they all had at least 1 P5 offer so I didn't include them here. I've caught posts from players here and there, and I think Norman is coming back. I believe with Wilson, Petit, Brasher, and Hundley coming back (I think) in addition to Norman, that could be your starting OL next year. May just be looking for one impact guy and a depth piece. After those 5 there is talent but no real game experience. Have a feeling they're going to want 6-7 guys (at least) with some game experience so they can work the freshmen in slowly.

Interestingly, there are a couple of long snappers in here as well. I know we have a couple on the roster including a PWO guy from last year.

OL Collin Tunc, 6’1” 290 – Stony Brook, 2 years
OL Cameron Clark 6’2” 290 – Charlotte, 2 years
OL Jake Kumfert 6’5” 300 – Saint Francis, 3 years
OL Zach Greenburg 6’4” 290 – Muhlenberg, 2 years
OL Jack Purcell 6’5” 305 – Penn, 1 year
OL Mason Howard 6’7” 300 – Old Dominion, 3 years
TE Alex Bauman 6’5” 245 – Tulane, 3 years
TE/LS Beau Blankenship 6’4” 245 – Marshall, 3 years
TE Jason Weir 6’3” 245 – UMass, 2 years
TE Jason Llewellyn 6’5” 255 – Oklahoma, 3 years
TE Reece Adkins 6’6” 252 – EKU, 2 years
TE Mason Gilbert 6’8” 255 – Lafayette, 1 year
LS Brock Winstead 6’3” 230 – ECU, 4 years
DL Marcus Mauney 6’2” 270 – Yale, 1-2 years
DB Cam Maddox 6’2” 205 – Dartmouth, 2 years
DB AT Ntantang 5’9” 190 – Lafayette, 1 year
LB Jayven Hall 5’11” 220 - Marshall, 4 years
RB Cody Brown 5’11” 217 – Virginia, 3 years
K Carlos Munoz 6’0” 170 – Georgia St, 4 years
Davemeister liked this
 #83231  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:24 am
Here’s who I have leaving for us though some are iffy. Please help me with your knowledge!!!

Offense
Huff in portal SoCon offensive player of year
Wyatt hughes as all conference Center or OG portal
Toomey as all conference OT portal
Roberto all conference RB graduated no more eligibility
Shiflett WR graduated no more eligibility
Pline all conference TE going to Hula Bowl and trying NFL Draft - no eligibility
Vollmer starting OG graduating no eligibility
Starting WR Dean graduates no eligibility
Starting WR / RB Wayne Anderson graduates no eligibility
Norman returning???
I assume Johanning is gone . Headed to Hula bowl. Congrats.

defense
Jack Barton all conference DE in portal. (We don’t have his graduate program)
Sochovka All conference DT graduates
Sirrod Cook NG plays a lot, graduates
Luke Clark all conference Bandit portal
Braden Gilby all conference MLB graduates
Dan Scianna two deep MLB graduates
Cally Chizick all conference DB ? Not sure. Listed as SPUR
Jalen Miller all conference DB ? Probably gone
hugh Ryan all conference Safety ? Not sure
kam Brinson starting Safety? Not sure of status
Blackshear awesome all conference DB. Graduates - 3X all SoCon.
Micah Robinson starting DB in portal
Yates starting DB in portal
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #83237  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:18 am
tim wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:40 am
Question. Is it easier to get a transfer through admissions than a regular recruit?
Good question. I would think it would be the same, but does seem like evaluating college credits would be a little different than high school. Especially the graduate students. No idea really though. Not sure I’ve ever thought about it before.
 #83249  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
We have had almost 100% turnover in coaches since Clay first arrived (everyone but Duane).
Great man - but I think losing "that guy" to ETSU helped us immensely. Just not a fit for some reason. Clearly we gained greatly when he went to ETSU
Some folks are good store managers but can’t get it done when elevated to the District level.
 #83250  by cavedweller2
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:59 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 pm
Ok, so there are no reported offers out there right now. These guys are followed by one or more of our coaches. Most of them come from Coach Verna. It's important to remember that absolutely nothing could come from these names. I have no inside info into how serious the interest is with any of these guys. I do think it shows what positions the staff is looking to shore up with the portal though.

I think it's been fairly obvious that we have to get a portal TE considering how many 2 TE sets we ran last year. I love the potential pass catching options with Tormey and Pryor, but they both still probably need to add weight. Unless Tormey puts on 20+ pounds before next year, getting a guy is probably fairly important here.

With the number of grad transfers we've had on the O-line, it's not surprising to see interest in several guys here as well. There were several other Ivy league guys, but they all had at least 1 P5 offer so I didn't include them here. I've caught posts from players here and there, and I think Norman is coming back. I believe with Wilson, Petit, Brasher, and Hundley coming back (I think) in addition to Norman, that could be your starting OL next year. May just be looking for one impact guy and a depth piece. After those 5 there is talent but no real game experience. Have a feeling they're going to want 6-7 guys (at least) with some game experience so they can work the freshmen in slowly.

Interestingly, there are a couple of long snappers in here as well. I know we have a couple on the roster including a PWO guy from last year.

OL Collin Tunc, 6’1” 290 – Stony Brook, 2 years
OL Cameron Clark 6’2” 290 – Charlotte, 2 years
OL Jake Kumfert 6’5” 300 – Saint Francis, 3 years
OL Zach Greenburg 6’4” 290 – Muhlenberg, 2 years
OL Jack Purcell 6’5” 305 – Penn, 1 year
OL Mason Howard 6’7” 300 – Old Dominion, 3 years
TE Alex Bauman 6’5” 245 – Tulane, 3 years
TE/LS Beau Blankenship 6’4” 245 – Marshall, 3 years
TE Jason Weir 6’3” 245 – UMass, 2 years
TE Jason Llewellyn 6’5” 255 – Oklahoma, 3 years
TE Reece Adkins 6’6” 252 – EKU, 2 years
TE Mason Gilbert 6’8” 255 – Lafayette, 1 year
LS Brock Winstead 6’3” 230 – ECU, 4 years
DL Marcus Mauney 6’2” 270 – Yale, 1-2 years
DB Cam Maddox 6’2” 205 – Dartmouth, 2 years
DB AT Ntantang 5’9” 190 – Lafayette, 1 year
LB Jayven Hall 5’11” 220 - Marshall, 4 years
RB Cody Brown 5’11” 217 – Virginia, 3 years
K Carlos Munoz 6’0” 170 – Georgia St, 4 years
Grab that youngster from Muhlenberg. Bet he’s a good one. Prolly spent some time working on Mr Peabody’s coal train. He’s a brawler.
FurmanATT liked this
 #83255  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:06 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
Some folks are good store managers but can’t get it done when elevated to the District level.
Yep. That was my take too. Something akin to the Peter principle. Just because a guy is your best engineer doesn’t mean he should be promoted to be a department lead. Seen this in many instances. Hate it here because he’s a good man.
 #83260  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:55 pm
Ya know VMI HAS chance Knox strong WR and Twombley - great TE in portal. I could see these as targets. Especially Twombley. Proven All conference TE and we probably want a TE …

Good academics at VMI. little concern there.

I’d love to see Twombley join us

Legit Question. I rarely have one LOL
Q - do we not look for transfers from other SoCon schools?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by gofurman

Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.