• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#77721  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:48 am
I pick this with heart and hope to be right. Furman 31. WCU 28

Let’s be honest. Most of our internet picks have vastly exaggerated the actual outcome the past 2 weeks. Mercer was the last time the picks on here
We’re near the actual score

I suspect the score is between WCU wins by 14 to WCU wins by a little to FU wins by a little. impressed if we win by more than 7. That would seem an outlier. A ton depends on our ability to RUN FREAKIN BALL and keep them off the field
 #77727  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:19 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:44 pm
Get ready boys, its time for an old school big SoCon showdown Saturday ;)

Could this series become what this one was!?!

#77733  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:46 am
Furman posted a reel on instagram yesterday.

Couldn't help but notice we appear to be practicing in our purple lids. These were the helmets last year that went with our black jerseys at home, with a black diamond, sword-like striping, and number on the opposite side.

It may just be a coincidence, but it seems the team will usually practice in whatever helmet they plan on playing in that Saturday (at least that's been the case previously).

Western usually wears purple over purple or white at home. They've made no announcement that I've seen of a "white out" game or anything, so it may be that Furman is wearing a uniform combination Saturday we haven't seen yet.

It would be a little odd if we opted for purple helmets against one of, I think, two teams in the SoCon that doesn't wear a white helmet (and who also happens to wear purple).
 #77735  by Bootie
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:46 am
Furman posted a reel on instagram yesterday.

Couldn't help but notice we appear to be practicing in our purple lids. These were the helmets last year that went with our black jerseys at home, with a black diamond, sword-like striping, and number on the opposite side.

It may just be a coincidence, but it seems the team will usually practice in whatever helmet they plan on playing in that Saturday (at least that's been the case previously).

Western usually wears purple over purple or white at home. They've made no announcement that I've seen of a "white out" game or anything, so it may be that Furman is wearing a uniform combination Saturday we haven't seen yet.

It would be a little odd if we opted for purple helmets against one of, I think, two teams in the SoCon that doesn't wear a white helmet (and who also happens to wear purple).
<grumpy old man>
I'd be happy to just stick with some basic home and away unis. Simplicity and consistency is my friend.
</grumpy old man>
apaladin, Stumpy liked this
 #77742  by fupaladin01
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:19 am
Any prognosticator who wishes to maintain more credibility than Punxsutawny Phil will check the weather report for their game's campus location. Cullowhee looks to have 15-20 mph winds with gust up to 35mph. This will effect both the kicking game and the passing game. FU has not had a reliable kicking game thus far, so this looks to hurt each team evenly. WCU however, gets a lot of yards from medium and long passes, which will not be reliable in high winds.
If both teams are forced to rely more on the run, I think this favors FU.
FUBeAR, Purple rain, Bootie and 1 others liked this
 #77743  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Any prognosticator who wishes to maintain more credibility than Punxsutawny Phil will check the weather report for their game's campus location. Cullowhee looks to have 15-20 mph winds with gust up to 35mph. This will effect both the kicking game and the passing game. FU has not had a reliable kicking game thus far, so this looks to hurt each team evenly. WCU however, gets a lot of yards from medium and long passes, which will not be reliable in high winds.
You must listen to Chris Justice, lol. Weather channel says during the game Sunny, 58-64 degress and 5 to 6 mph winds, in other words, perfect. Accuweather says mostly cloudy 60-65 degrees and 8 mph winds.🤷🏼‍♂️
 #77744  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:49 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Both teams are going to heavily rely on the run, and both teams are really good at it.
 #77747  by Roundball
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
You must listen to Chris Justice, lol. Weather channel says during the game Sunny, 58-64 degress and 5 to 6 mph winds, in other words, perfect. Accuweather says mostly cloudy 60-65 degrees and 8 mph winds.🤷🏼‍♂️
Chris Justice is the best in the business. It is windy in Cullowhee today, but tomorrow most are saying light winds during the afternoon. The outliner is the NWS, which has the 15-20 mph hour winds in its forecast.
 #77749  by wcugrad95
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:06 pm
Generally speaking, I bank on AccuWeather over all of them. They have mid-60s and winds that are around 8 MPH with some gusts up to 18.

The guy’s name I also think is Chris Justus. But like some of you in the other thread I expect some voodoo where the wind only blows directly into you guys when FU has the ball or needs to kick and is downwind for WCU 😀
 #77750  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:28 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:06 pm
Generally speaking, I bank on AccuWeather over all of them. They have mid-60s and winds that are around 8 MPH with some gusts up to 18.

The guy’s name I also think is Chris Justus. But like some of you in the other thread I expect some voodoo where the wind only blows directly into you guys when FU has the ball or needs to kick and is downwind for WCU 😀

The wind was whipping pretty good at Samford and it did not appear to make a huge difference.

If was raining, I'd probably say that favored the Paladins. A little wind isn't going to make that much of a difference.
 #77751  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm
FUBeAR has found the tomorrow.io / TMRW App to be OUTSTANDING!
Wind: 10-13 mph with gusts to 23 mph
 #77752  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:52 pm
SelfServer Sam Herder has joined in the chorus…

No. 4 Furman at No. 8 Western Carolina

Huge SoCon title and seed implications in this one. The winner has a nice path to a Top 4 playoff seed if they go on to handle business, finish unbeaten vs. the FCS, and own 2-3 ranked wins.

My gut was telling me Furman earlier this week. My thinking was the Paladins will be more ready for the moment with a veteran squad that is used to high rankings and games with big implications. And I thought Furman could grind down WCU’s defense and control the clock and tempo of the game.

I’ve since changed my mind. Furman may be able to find success on the ground with Tyler Huff and Dominic Roberto. But I don’t know if it can keep pace with WCU.

The Catamounts are scoring 41.3 points per game, passing for 309.8 yards a game and rushing for 222. Cole Gonzales is lighting it up at QB with great weapons like Censere Lee and PFF’s top FCS WR AJ Colombo. But the ground game is excellent as well. Desmond Reid, who is listed No. 1 on the depth chart after leaving the game two weeks ago with an injury, is a top RB in the FCS with 847 rushing yards and 10 TDs. An unheralded part of WCU is a great offensive line that is graded as PFF’s 11th-best run-blocking unit in the FCS.

The OL goes:
6’6″ 315 lbs
6’5″ 320 lbs
6’2″ 295 lbs
6’2″ 330 lbs
6’8″ 310 lbs

Couple that offensive firepower with what should be an electric home environment, and beating WCU on the road will just be too big of an uphill battle for Furman.

Prediction: WCU 35-31
I’m not going to blame anyone for picking Western this week. They are the sexy pick with the big stats, and Furman isn’t doing anything in the way of eye popping offense this year. That’s what folks do when teams are closely ranked, “who stands out…Western has a top FCS offense according to the stats so let’s pick them.” Personally I think offense comes back to earth when confronted with a good defense. Remember when UIW was held to 13 points in the 2nd half? I think this game could be much like that one where scores are put up in bunches. Furman won’t be able to match blow for blow so there have to be stops to allow the offense to stay in it for all 4 quarters. I don’t expect a blowout, rather a close game. The lower the score the better. It’s fun to watch a high powered offense struggle and get desperate. Hope to see that Saturday.
 #77762  by AllTimeFU
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:32 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 am
Any suggested locations for dinner and rattle handling Friday night as we descend on WCU?
FUBeAR knows...seems odd...and, no, they are not serving "mountain oysters" .... Ate here in 2019 and it was VERY GOOD.

5.9 miles North of the stadium in Sylva, NC
https://creeksideoysterhouse.com/

Creekside Oyster House and Grill is a popular restaurant in Sylva, North Carolina.
It's located at 219 West Main Street.

Atmosphere: Creekside Oyster House and Grill has a laid-back, comfortable atmosphere. It's known for its cocktails.

Menu: Creekside Oyster House and Grill serves seafood, American dishes, and cocktails. It also offers health-conscious menu items, beer, and wine.

Amenities: Creekside Oyster House and Grill has an onsite bar, booster seats, and high chairs. It also has special features for families with children, such as reduced rates, cots, and a kid's club.

Hours: Creekside Oyster House and Grill serves meals late into the night.

Reviews: Some say Creekside Oyster House and Grill has great staff, reasonable prices, and quality food and service.
Went to Creekside and proudly strutted in with my Furman gear.

I’ll be up at the coffee shop in the morning holding court!

Go Dins!!!
FUBeAR, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #77764  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:11 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:32 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 am
Any suggested locations for dinner and rattle handling Friday night as we descend on WCU?
FUBeAR knows...seems odd...and, no, they are not serving "mountain oysters" .... Ate here in 2019 and it was VERY GOOD.

5.9 miles North of the stadium in Sylva, NC
https://creeksideoysterhouse.com/

Creekside Oyster House and Grill is a popular restaurant in Sylva, North Carolina.
It's located at 219 West Main Street.

Atmosphere: Creekside Oyster House and Grill has a laid-back, comfortable atmosphere. It's known for its cocktails.

Menu: Creekside Oyster House and Grill serves seafood, American dishes, and cocktails. It also offers health-conscious menu items, beer, and wine.

Amenities: Creekside Oyster House and Grill has an onsite bar, booster seats, and high chairs. It also has special features for families with children, such as reduced rates, cots, and a kid's club.

Hours: Creekside Oyster House and Grill serves meals late into the night.

Reviews: Some say Creekside Oyster House and Grill has great staff, reasonable prices, and quality food and service.
Went to Creekside and proudly strutted in with my Furman gear.

I’ll be up at the coffee shop in the morning holding court!

Go Dins!!!
Were there drunken toddlers using the booster seats and high chairs at the bar?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.