• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#89970  by HB88
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:16 pm
Something to keep in mind is that I believe Tennessee is on the schedule next year and if they continue to progress we could be revisiting this conversation all too soon.
dornb liked this
 #89971  by dornb
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:53 pm
Affirm wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:51 pm
Worst beatdown since losing to Davidson 77-0 in 1969 when we were the football for fun bunch and gave no svholarships and were still just D1, no fcs. The biggest concerns we had with this team was the OL and secondary. Even considerng who we played I see no signs of encouragement from these two groups.
That 1969 Davidson game was
Furman 14 - Davidson 77.
It was a home game for Furman.
(That was the year Davidson played in the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando. Unfortunately for Davidson, they ended up 7-4 including losing 4 of their last 6 games including that bowl game against Toledo.)
I believe Furman’s worst loss ever was in 1918 when we went to Georgia Tech and lost 0-118.
Good news, though: 7 days later, we played at home and beat Erskine 60-0.
I believe our second-worst loss was our home game against Clemson in 1915: 0-99.
So it appears that the loss at Ole Miss was our third-worst loss ever, and our worst loss since 106 years ago. (And I am highly doubtful we will beat Charleston Southern 60-0, like the score against Erskine 106 years ago (and I am not at all sure we will beat CSU; it’s questionable).
Dan Scott said in the post-game that it was our 5th worst loss.
 #89972  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:47 pm
dornb wrote:
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Worst beatdown since losing to Davidson 77-0 in 1969 when we were the football for fun bunch and gave no svholarships and were still just D1, no fcs. The biggest concerns we had with this team was the OL and secondary. Even considerng who we played I see no signs of encouragement from these two groups.
Furman 14 - Davidson 77.
(That was the year Davidson played in the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando. Unfortunately for Davidson, they ended up 7-4 including losing 4 of their last 6 games including that bowl game against Toledo.)
I believe Furman’s worst loss ever was in 1918 when we went to Georgia Tech and lost 0-118.
I believe our second-worst loss was our home game against Clemson in 1915: 0-99.
So it appears that the loss at Ole Miss was our third-worst loss ever, and our worst loss since 106 years ago. (And I am highly doubtful we will beat Charleston Southern 60-0, like the score against Erskine 106 years ago (and I am not at all sure we will beat CSU; it’s questionable).
1. 1918 Georgia Tech 118-0
2. 1891 Duke 95-0
3. 1915 Clemson 94-0
4. 1955 Army 81-0
5. 2024 Ole Miss 76-0
dornb liked this
 #89973  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:57 pm
HB88 wrote:
Something to keep in mind is that I believe Tennessee is on the schedule next year and if they continue to progress we could be revisiting this conversation all too soon.
Admittedly, next year we aren't breaking in like 17 new starters. We'll return just about everyone.
 #89975  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:08 pm
Not too many highlights, but liked this one.

Outside zone run. Well blocked. Had a wrinkle of brining Burrell back across the formation to give the appearance of a backside counter play. Right side of the offensive line has some impressive reaches as the linemen got out hard to their right. Joshua Harris throws a nice block downfield. Hicks has good vision to read Chappell's block and take the play inside.

I also like the timing of Ryan Lamb at RG. The team appears to be on a silent snap count and he basically starts moving the very moment Luna starts snapping the ball. Their hands are in synch.

We can do something with this. Hopefully will see more of it.
 #89979  by Affirm
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
dornb wrote:
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furman 14 - Davidson 77.
That statement by Dan Scott appears to be correct. I (Affirm) have no reason to doubt anything Dan Scott says.
2. 1891 Duke 95-0 96-0 ? See below.
3. 1915 Clemson 94-0 99-0 ? See below.
4. 1955 Army 81-0
5. 2024 Ole Miss 76-0
Affirm's source was James Howell's (cfootball@howell.net) online "College Football Historical Scores Alphabetically by Team", last updated on 1/24/2024.
Dan Scott and FUBeAR, with their wealth of information resources, are probably more dependable in this situation than the James Howell online database is.
1. 1918 Georgia Tech 118-0 MATCHES THE JAMES HOWELL INFO
2. 1891 Duke 95-0 THIS MAY BE CORRECT. HOWEVER, THE JAMES HOWELL DATABASE HAS NOTHING IN 1891 FOR FURMAN, TRINITY, OR DUKE. Trinity College, later Duke University, moved from Trinity, NC, to Durham in 1892. Trinity began playing football in 1888. From 1890 to 1895 they had NO COACH. They completely discontinued football for 24 years (1896 through 1919), and they resumed football in 1920. Duke information states that the 1891 Trinity victory over Furman was actually 96-0, in Columbia, SC, on 11/14/1891; and that season they were 3-0 versus Furman, UNC, and Virginia.
3. 1915 Clemson 94-0 DOES NOT MATCH THE JAMES HOWELL INFO, WHICH STATES THE SCORE THAT YEAR AS CLEMSON 99 - FURMAN 0. HOWEVER, THE SCORE LISTING FOR CLEMSON IS SHOWN IN YELLOW, MEANING "verified but dispute; probably correct". The same James Howell info indicates that as Clemson's biggest win over any opponent in all Clemson Football history. Whether Clemson had 94 or 99 in that game, it was still apparently the biggest win ever for Clemson. Obviously, Clemson football lore favors the 99-0 score over the 94-0 Furman version.
4. 1955 Army 81-0 MATCHES THE JAMES HOWELL INFO. Affirm overlooked this (although Affirm has noticed it in the past, wondering why and how we were able to play them back then but we are unable to get a game with them now, when it would be a better score for us than 0-81).
5. 2024 Ole Miss 76-0
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
 #89981  by tim
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:35 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:23 am
tim wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:02 am
I have a new team to hate now. In the past, I have been ambivalent about Ole Miss
So they should have taken it easy on us and just held the door for ND to pass them in the rankings? Gotta remember that they absolutely want to go to the playoffs with a good draw. This is how it’s done. You have to STOMP patsies. Look at the other scores at Alabama, UT etc.

If we insist on playing the 25 or so pro teams that are still going to seriously compete for playoffs, this is what they have to do to us. It’s all business now.
Well hottie toddie (sp) tell that to coach who complained in his interview about them still running tempo late in the 4th quarter. Don't think an FCS point spread will affect their playoff chances.
 #89983  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:16 pm
Of course the point spread matters.
2 OSU 52-6. Had to balance out the UGA stomping of CU.
3 Oregon 24-14. So now they’ll fall behind 4 Texas who won 52-0 and 5 Alabama who won 63-0.
76-0 helps Ole Miss keep pace with Alabama and maybe stay ahead of ND. Without those blowouts, ND might pass all of them. And Ole Miss was playing FCS so they needed to win by way more than 63-0.

Look at the carnage in the teens.
11Missouri 51-0
12Utah 49-0
15 UT 69-3
16 OU 51-3

Considering many of the blowouts involved FBS losers, the 76-0 against a so so FCS team isn’t out of line at all.

The person to be mad at is whoever scheduled the game. Time for FCS and most of FBS to stop lying to themselves. They no longer belong on the field with the pro teams.
Affirm, Davemeister liked this
 #89984  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:19 pm
HB88 wrote:
Look at their score yesterday. It will be the same. Clemson can no longer compete in the new environment. Why the hell do people think we can?
 #89989  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:10 pm
Affirm wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
dornb wrote:
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furman 14 - Davidson 77.
That statement by Dan Scott appears to be correct. I (Affirm) have no reason to doubt anything Dan Scott says.
2. 1891 Duke 95-0 96-0 ? See below.
3. 1915 Clemson 94-0 99-0 ? See below.
4. 1955 Army 81-0
5. 2024 Ole Miss 76-0
Affirm's source was James Howell's (cfootball@howell.net) online "College Football Historical Scores Alphabetically by Team", last updated on 1/24/2024.
Dan Scott and FUBeAR, with their wealth of information resources, are probably more dependable in this situation than the James Howell online database is.
1. 1918 Georgia Tech 118-0 MATCHES THE JAMES HOWELL INFO
2. 1891 Duke 95-0 THIS MAY BE CORRECT. HOWEVER, THE JAMES HOWELL DATABASE HAS NOTHING IN 1891 FOR FURMAN, TRINITY, OR DUKE. Trinity College, later Duke University, moved from Trinity, NC, to Durham in 1892. Trinity began playing football in 1888. From 1890 to 1895 they had NO COACH. They completely discontinued football for 24 years (1896 through 1919), and they resumed football in 1920. Duke information states that the 1891 Trinity victory over Furman was actually 96-0, in Columbia, SC, on 11/14/1891; and that season they were 3-0 versus Furman, UNC, and Virginia.
3. 1915 Clemson 94-0 DOES NOT MATCH THE JAMES HOWELL INFO, WHICH STATES THE SCORE THAT YEAR AS CLEMSON 99 - FURMAN 0. HOWEVER, THE SCORE LISTING FOR CLEMSON IS SHOWN IN YELLOW, MEANING "verified but dispute; probably correct". The same James Howell info indicates that as Clemson's biggest win over any opponent in all Clemson Football history. Whether Clemson had 94 or 99 in that game, it was still apparently the biggest win ever for Clemson. Obviously, Clemson football lore favors the 99-0 score over the 94-0 Furman version.
4. 1955 Army 81-0 MATCHES THE JAMES HOWELL INFO. Affirm overlooked this (although Affirm has noticed it in the past, wondering why and how we were able to play them back then but we are unable to get a game with them now, when it would be a better score for us than 0-81).
5. 2024 Ole Miss 76-0
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sid ... d_Book.pdf
Page 45, left column, 2nd section down

If we really want to take something positive from yesterday, the bellhops can no longer say that they gave us one of our worst 5 losses in our history.

#SilverLinings
 #89990  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:12 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:54 am
Not the result we wanted or hoped for. I was not going to be surprised with a lopsided game, though I expected it to be less lopsided.

Just a few take aways for me:

1. This was our least important game on the schedule. It was effectively a scrimmage - both teams played a lot of guys and the score did not really much matter. The remaining 11 games are far more important to us.

2. I'm tired of talking about the losses from last year. They are gone. We have the team we have. Move on.

3. I thought physically we looked good. We compared well size-wise in most spots. Their offensive line is massive and we are not likely to see that sort of unit again this season (maybe ever).

4. Hard to take much away from the game, offensively. We were out matched. We had a few nearly 40 yard pass plays, which we didn't see a ton of last year. We saw a lot of different running backs, all of whom appeared to have a good bit of elusiveness.

5. The secondary got beat a lot, but we knew that was likely to happen some tonight. The positive for the "inexperience" people is that now our DBs have a lot more of it.

That's an incredibly difficult offense to defense. They stress you vertically and horizontally. We couldn't really take away anything they wanted to do. Again, we aren't going to see a QB in Jaxon Dart's zip-code this season or receivers like this group.

6. The score was bad, but I'm also surprised that Ole Miss never really took their foot off the gas until late in the game. They went for several fourth downs, they threw deep balls the whole game, etc. We had a few missed tackles on up the middle runs, but I know we'll get that cleaned up.
This. Too much lopsided. A few thoughts. One. Lane Kiffin is an AZZZ. went for it on fourth and two up 14-0 early. Really Lane? Dumb and rude. Rude is obvious. Swinney etc don’t do that. The dumb part is you are showing your special plays vs a team (Furman) that you don’t need to. Plus don’t you want to practice FGs also? But mainly why show your 4th and 3 play vs FCS

That’s rude ,not cool and not smart. Karma is a female dog man. I wish the good fan who posted here well but now have to pull against Ole Miss the rest of the way.

I do wish we could have stopped them some. Like 55-7 or so. And that leads me to -

Hope the team can rebound. Occasionally one loss becomes two if particularly painful (close in OT) or ..bad like this lopsided one. Need to rally and regroup. Which can be tough because you don’t want to say “well let’s let it go because hey.. we knew we couldn’t compete this week”. Shouldn’t ever admit that or think that.

I don’t agree with burn the tape and move on. Use this to get PISSED OFF. Coach K once famously was told after huge loss to UVA “ here’s to forgetting tonight”. He replied “here’s to NEVER forgetting tonight
Some of that is on us, too.

There were at least two plays where Ole Miss ran the ball up the middle for a touchdown and we just didn't make the tackle.
Agree. Not good tackling by us at times.

After seeing this. And other scores UT. BAMA. UGA. etc. I think I would rather play a G5 or Duke or Wake / most of the ACC honestly. Most of the ACC doesn’t look scary. perhaps Clemson is the best ACC and while:I’d prefer that I’d really rather play almost any except Clemson and FSU. UNC. Duke Wake. GT. UVA all fine
 #89992  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:01 pm
HB88 wrote:
The Tennessee game is in 2026. Clempson next year, last game for FU on Nov. 22nd. Open with UT in 2026. FWIW Ole Miss has Citadel next year.
Last edited by apaladin on Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #89994  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:03 pm
Keeler's latest.

If he's correct in his valuations, Ole Miss has quite a few players that make significantly more money playing football than, say, Ryan Miller, who is actually on a professional football team.

Bootie liked this
 #89995  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:25 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:16 pm
Of course the point spread matters.
2 OSU 52-6. Had to balance out the UGA stomping of CU.

The person to be mad at is whoever scheduled the game. Time for FCS and most of FBS to stop lying to themselves. They no longer belong on the field with the pro teams.
A couple of others you failed to mention: Arkansas 70-0 and Auburn 73-3.

OSU really didn’t balance out the UGA win. OSU didn’t even cover the spread. -50.5 against a MAC team.

Would be hard to convince FCS Idaho they don’t belong on the field with #3 Oregon. It was a 3 point game with 5 to play.

We are probably making way too much about last nights blowout. We arguably played the best QB and best passing attack in the country with an all freshmen and sophomre secondary that had no experience.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUTex

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:45 am

Default Avatar New Fan...

by MemorialMagic

Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:31 am

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:15 am

User avatar starting lineup projection

by apaladin

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:06 am

User avatar TALENT FEE

by apaladin

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:01 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.