• Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

#88499  by FUTex
 Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:13 pm
Quick update: Madine weathered the hurricane just fine. To her its just a bunch of rain.

FAMNN BATT CCLOT
 #88547  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:58 pm
This caption is a lie! Borders schmorders…

They are talkin’ possumry or Biden is getting golf tips.
 #88558  by FUTex
 Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:00 am
The border area is called Karelia. The USSR illegally stole half of it in 1939 using 21 Divisions. Then Finland took it back in 1941 in the Continuation War. In 1944 the USSR re-annexed it. Russia has kept it, and its now part of the Leningrad Oblast. Fun Fact: Alexander Stubb's family was originally from Karelia.

But Biden and Stubb are not talking about the border, as FUBear wisely noted. I think Biden is saying "Finland needs to ween themselves off a turd-based currency". Stubb is responding "I'd rather take monetary policy advice from a possum than a vegetable." Then they dropped the subject and talked about Furman Football. Biden mumbled something about Archie Manning and Stubb said he was standing firm with Clay Hendrix, as a man should.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88636  by FUTex
 Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:35 am
The owner of the trebuchet tells me that we are going to need to add more weight to the sling (the basket type thing we are going to place Madine in). He says it needs about 20 pounds to balance out the "centrifugal of the rope of the long arm" to make it swing in an arc. I'm thinking about adding more possums. Or maybe a bucket or so of fecal matter.

He also said I can't film it. He says its cruel to animals and he doesn't want it posted anywhere. I don't think I'm going to comply with his wishes. I mean, we need at least 80 yards to ensure a victory here, and that is deserving of documentation.
 #88655  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:43 am
Perhaps this is the wrong thread for this, but FUBeAR is wondering how we can, somehow, leverage this in our favor.

Thoughts?
 #88657  by FUTex
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:21 am
This is absolutely the correct thread to report on Medieval MMA and how we can leverage this to our advantage. Building a quality mojo requires such research.
 #88659  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:02 am
FUTex wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:21 am
This is absolutely the correct thread to report on Medieval MMA and how we can leverage this to our advantage. Building a quality mojo requires such research.
So…you’re thinking VPADJD might spring for a pre-game MMMA exhibition in The Grove?

FUBeAR imagines we could appeal to his ego by enticing him with the opportunity to participate in full (period appropriate) costume and close the event by indicating Madine’s (and, potentially, that of her co-slingees) fate to the gathered, and thoroughly lathered, throng of Paladin faithful…

#88661  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:33 pm
I think most of us would prefer FUBeAR and Tex to PM each other with this not funny info instead of posting here. Just sayin’. #letitdie, #notfunny, #stupid, #silly. ;)
 #88663  by FUTex
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:50 pm
Thank you Apaladin. We completely agree. The football discussion board should just be for posting dismally depressing predictions and aggressive questions to staff implying incompetence. I remember how Apaladin joyfully posted over and over again early last season the phrase "we are not who we think we are" and then the Paladins went on to win 10 games. But Apaladin was correct, of course, because we lost to Montana when we all foolishly thought that we were good enough to win. Oh how blind we were.

I happen to believe that college football is more than complaining about why a downfield block wasn't executed or a defensive back was a half step too slow. Its about observing stellar athletes perform, the pageantry of an Autumn Saturday, possumry, and knowing that when Clay Hendrix played for Furman the only two athletes on the field taller than he was were Steve Mazur and Tim Fox. (Clay Hendrix shrunk to his present 5'10" due to Lasik.)

Every Furman player isn't going to be a FUBear or a Sluggo. Those guys were made with a steel alloy mixed with powdered unicorn dust. Give the current athletes a break for once.
FUBeAR, Paladin82, Roundball liked this
 #88665  by FUTex
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:13 pm
Please indulge me as I add a point that may seem tangential, but to me is direct to the issue.

When a linebacker sets before a play he may read the guard's stance and the fullback's position. Communicating with his teammates he knows that he is responsible to fill a gap - let's call it Gap A. When the ball is snapped he immediately steps into Gap A. However, the ball comes through Gap B, two yards away and he misses the tackle. The folks in the stands (and boy can you hear them) all conclude that the linebacker missed the play. But he didn't; he did his job. It was a different player that missed the play, and he wasn't near the ball.

Another example: When a QB steps back to pass we in the stands are all watching the ball. Of course we are - that's where the play is going to be. The QB looks and looks and then passes long to an open receiver 50 yards downfield with a Cornerback running like mad to catch up with him. People in the stands may conclude (and the loud ones sure do) that the Cornerback missed his coverage. But what if it was the Safety's assignment? The average guy in the stands has no idea. But they pillory the Cornerback anyway.

And just to drive the point home: "That play was stupid" I hear from the stands. Well, there is of course the idea, foreign that it may be to some, that a good decision can have a bad result. Take for example the oft-maligned 3rd down pass play where we need twenty yards and the resultant pass is ten yards with an immediate tackle. Of course the eventual receiver at ten yards may have been the second or third "look" for the QB, and obviously he can run after reception. But you still hear it in the stands - "that play was stupid". Geeze Louise.

So no, I don't buy into simplistic criticism of the Paladins, nor angled questions that have unfounded premises. I enjoy being optimistic.

So how does a team prepare when even the "bad" opposing teams are pretty darn good, and their coaches know what Furman is going to do (more or less), and their desire for victory is every bit as keen as Furman's? The answer, my friend, is blowing in the Finn. And that means possumry, and the resultant mojo.
Roundball liked this
 #88666  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:51 pm
FUTex wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:13 pm
Please indulge me as I add a point that may seem tangential, but to me is direct to the issue.

When a linebacker sets before a play he may read the guard's stance and the fullback's position. Communicating with his teammates he knows that he is responsible to fill a gap - let's call it Gap A. When the ball is snapped he immediately steps into Gap A. However, the ball comes through Gap B, two yards away and he misses the tackle. The folks in the stands (and boy can you hear them) all conclude that the linebacker missed the play. But he didn't; he did his job. It was a different player that missed the play, and he wasn't near the ball.

Another example: When a QB steps back to pass we in the stands are all watching the ball. Of course we are - that's where the play is going to be. The QB looks and looks and then passes long to an open receiver 50 yards downfield with a Cornerback running like mad to catch up with him. People in the stands may conclude (and the loud ones sure do) that the Cornerback missed his coverage. But what if it was the Safety's assignment? The average guy in the stands has no idea. But they pillory the Cornerback anyway.

And just to drive the point home: "That play was stupid" I hear from the stands. Well, there is of course the idea, foreign that it may be to some, that a good decision can have a bad result. Take for example the oft-maligned 3rd down pass play where we need twenty yards and the resultant pass is ten yards with an immediate tackle. Of course the eventual receiver at ten yards may have been the second or third "look" for the QB, and obviously he can run after reception. But you still hear it in the stands - "that play was stupid". Geeze Louise.

So no, I don't buy into simplistic criticism of the Paladins, nor angled questions that have unfounded premises. I enjoy being optimistic.

So how does a team prepare when even the "bad" opposing teams are pretty darn good, and their coaches know what Furman is going to do (more or less), and their desire for victory is every bit as keen as Furman's? The answer, my friend, is blowing in the Finn. And that means possumry, and the resultant mojo.
Whew - glad you included the final paragraph. FUBeAR was completely lost until he got to the important stuff at the end.
Davemeister liked this
 #88667  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:24 pm
There was a possum walking along my neighbors fence early this morning. My dog was losing it she wanted to get at that possum so bad. But she is only knee high and stout so she can’t jump that high. I kept waiting for that possum to vomit on the dog but it didn’t. It just hissed real loud and went down into my neighbors yard. I wonder if it knows Madine?
 #88668  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:27 pm
FAMNNT BATT CCLOT.
 #88670  by FUTex
 Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:21 am
I wonder if Apaladin remembers that the whole "Negative Nancy" thread thing took off because of him?

Important news: I saw a possum walking across the parking lot at Whites Chapel Methodist Church in Southlake Texas today. Just waddling and a walking in the parking lot, like it could. My guess it was a Free Will possum, not a Calvinist.

Also, a peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Its a legume. Google "peanut" and you will see. But for the sake of your sanity do not google "marsupialization" and look at them images. Its bad.

FAMNNT BATT CCLOT

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUTex

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:45 am

Default Avatar New Fan...

by MemorialMagic

Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:31 am

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:15 am

User avatar starting lineup projection

by apaladin

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:06 am

User avatar TALENT FEE

by apaladin

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:01 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.