• SOCON WEEK 5

#91184  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:34 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:40 pm

STILL - when you get called for TEN penalties we can argue some but maybe 8 were decent calls - we usually run at about 6 penalties or something ... I know we are youthful but still maybe 7/8 ? Honestly shocked a stacked senior team of William and Mary had 10 penalties also. 20 penalties total - ugh

Since Hendrix took over, it doesn’t look like we’ve ever averaged over 50 yards per game. Going back to 2012, we have been between 30-49 penalty yards per game for the most part. This year, we’re almost at 90. If you look at the cumulative stats over those years, we’ve averaged around 4-5 penalties per game. We’re averaging 9 this year. Given the amount of data we have since Hendrix took over, I’m hoping for a regression back towards the mean over the rest of the season. Maybe this will just be a statistical outlier year though.

To me, it’s not even the number of penalties, it’s that they’ve come at the worst times. This stuff balances out in the long run (usually), but the ones we’ve had have been especially tough.

Hendrix mentioned that this has probably been the most penalized team he’s had since he’s been here (or something to that effect), which is a bit of an understatement based on the previously mentioned stats. It’s unlikely the coaches aren’t stressing this stuff to the players. At some point the players have to do what they’ve been coached to do. Given Hendrix’s track record with lower penalties than most teams and run offense/defense, I really do feel like we’ll be a lot better by the end of the year. It just depends on when it comes together as to whether or not we have a winning record.

To the point of this thread…the SoCon is going to be tough for everyone this year. Mercer might be better overall, but for the most part the top teams from last year have come back some and the bottom teams have improved. Most teams probably have a chance to win any game (outside of VMI).
FUWolfpacker, TOTALLY AGREE.

Thanks, I Didn’t want to look at each year but I knew from perusing game notes throughout the years that we “roughly” lead the SoCon or at least are top three in least penalties almost every year. And often are the least penalized team I think. There is often a section that says exactly that in our past game notes I think. And it’s a constant.

As you say, it’s the same coaches. Just different players. Now - same as with my slight allowance for turnovers - I get a freshman QB maybe a few extra false starts etc. Cadence. Practice. But some are defensive PI. Roughing the passer (Stetson game). Still I would hope by game 5 or 6 etc that would at least get somewhat closer to the CCH mean. Which has been AWESOME throughout the years. Awesome. We are one of the least penalized teams annually. You can’t always beat the other dude. Maybe he’s just better physically. Sure . But you can always keep from jumping offsides etc. Or at least don’t do it much. Play SMART.

MY gut wasn’t too far off. I mentioned can’t we get down to 7/8 penalties? IE. I’m allowing an extra penalty or two for youth. Anything over that is just far too many. I would hope we could get down to 6 per game as the year goes on. We might be 2–2 if that were the case already.

The reason I prioritized penalties over turnovers in a prior post was we obviously have a true FR QB where the defense is trying to confuse him and create a turnover. As opposed to penalties that are many times more self-inflicted. The other team doesn’t make us have a penalty in most instances. Most :D Because certainly turnovers are generally much worse than penalties. Absolutely. But I’m trying to be patient with a few interceptions. . Still. Quit fumbling!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Expanding the SoCon

by Roundball

Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar Scouting Samford

by FUTex

Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:04 am

User avatar Purple Helmets

by FUTex

Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:58 am

Default Avatar SOCON WEEK 5

by gofurman

Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:34 am

User avatar TICKETS

by apaladin

Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:43 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.