• 2021 Spring Season

#34851  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:45 pm
If the current numbers are indeed correct, Is it not a logical conclusion that masks don’t work? Apparently they work against the flu as I have not heard one word about the flu this year.
 #34859  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:50 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:38 pm
aqualung wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 am
Would love to start getting excited but I just can't. Would anyone be surprised if the whole deal gets cancelled? With this slew of rising cases nothing would surprise me.

We may see schedule changes, like many programs. I find, though, that if your priority is to get in a football season, you'll make it work.

What I have not seen is guidance from the SoCon on tiebreaker procedures in the event games are continued/canceled.

The Big10, for instance, used a pretty complicated formula to determine who could play in the title game. I assume the SoCon may have to use something similar in conjunction with deciding the automatic bid. https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/E ... 53768797_2
"Guidance from the SoCon' is one of them there oxymorons.. like "jumbo shrimp' or 'alone together' (the last particularly apt this year

There just isn't going to be a chance, I think, to quickly reschedule games or move the schedule around to accommodate canceled games.

If a team has to shut down and a game isn't played, and there's only likely one SoCon bid, how do you determine that bid? Would a 5-0 team get the bid over a 7-1 team?
FUBeAR - I think - one time referenced a choice of the SoCon winner by 'percentage'.. IE 5-0 would indeed beat 7-1. Maybe he could expound on this - if it was him - and why it happened or maybe it was just a contingency rule?

But yes, football isn't like basketball, no time to reschedule. We could have a 7-1 and a 5-0 and honestly I see the argument for both. Now, in the nitty gritty what if the 5-0 didn't play any of the 'tougher outs? Say they never played Chatt, Woff, Furman. And the 7-1 (us?) lost only to Chatt? Either way it's better to have that rule in place before the season so there is no perception of playing favorites and just making up a rule to send the preferred team. They need a rule soon.
 #34864  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:09 am
Winning percentage makes sense, but the kicker is that the teams may play an odd number of games. Do you dock a team for a loss if they played two more games than an undefeated team?

What if Wofford goes 7-1 and loses to 5-0 Furman?

I don't come with answers, only questions.

The Big 10 is sort of an odd example to use, because the conference ostensibly changed its own rules several times to ensure that Ohio State played for a national title. I guess there's another option where you just make up rules as you go.
 #34866  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:23 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:50 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:38 pm
aqualung wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 am
Would love to start getting excited but I just can't. Would anyone be surprised if the whole deal gets cancelled? With this slew of rising cases nothing would surprise me.

We may see schedule changes, like many programs. I find, though, that if your priority is to get in a football season, you'll make it work.

What I have not seen is guidance from the SoCon on tiebreaker procedures in the event games are continued/canceled.

The Big10, for instance, used a pretty complicated formula to determine who could play in the title game. I assume the SoCon may have to use something similar in conjunction with deciding the automatic bid. https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/E ... 53768797_2
"Guidance from the SoCon' is one of them there oxymorons.. like "jumbo shrimp' or 'alone together' (the last particularly apt this year

There just isn't going to be a chance, I think, to quickly reschedule games or move the schedule around to accommodate canceled games.

If a team has to shut down and a game isn't played, and there's only likely one SoCon bid, how do you determine that bid? Would a 5-0 team get the bid over a 7-1 team?
FUBeAR - I think - one time referenced a choice of the SoCon winner by 'percentage'.. IE 5-0 would indeed beat 7-1. Maybe he could expound on this - if it was him - and why it happened or maybe it was just a contingency rule?

But yes, football isn't like basketball, no time to reschedule. We could have a 7-1 and a 5-0 and honestly I see the argument for both. Now, in the nitty gritty what if the 5-0 didn't play any of the 'tougher outs? Say they never played Chatt, Woff, Furman. And the 7-1 (us?) lost only to Chatt? Either way it's better to have that rule in place before the season so there is no perception of playing favorites and just making up a rule to send the preferred team. They need a rule soon.
Pretty simple...

Back in the day...

‘78 - FU & Chatt co-champs - tied @ 4-1 (.800) with App & WCU @ 4-2 (.666) tied for 3rd
'79 - Chatt champs 5-1 (.833) over VMI 4-1 (.800)
‘80 - no issue...we won ‘em all
‘81 - FU Champs 5-2 (.714) over VMI 3-1-1 (.700 or .600, depending on calc method...either way < .714)
‘82 - FU Champs 6-1 (.857) over Chatt 5-1 (.833)
‘83 - (not pictured) FU Champs 6-0-1 (.929 or .857, depending on calc method) over WCU 5-0-1 (.912 or .833, depending on calc method)(gotta use same calc method for both teams though...of course)
 #34869  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am
Out of curiosity, I pulled up that '79 VMI team. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... edule.html

The Keydets played 11 games, but for whatever reason, didn't play as many conference games as Chattanooga. VMI did not play Western Carolina, where UTC did.

Also interesting is that the Keydets had a winning season scoring 14 ppg and surrendering 19 per game. I guess if you were into defense, the '79 Keydets were your team.
 #35020  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm
Really think it must be a mistake...but SoCon site’s Composite Schedule is showing 4 Samford games as “Cancelled”... https://soconsports.com/calendar.aspx?path=football

WCU @ Samford 2/27
VMI @ Samford 3/20
Samford @ The Citadel 3/27
Mercer @ Samford 4/17

Could see, possibly, a school deciding to cancel all Home games or all Away games, but can’t imagine why they would cancel 3 @ Home, still play Woffy @ Home on 3/13...and then cancel the VMI Home game & the CIT away game.

Anyone have any inside scoop? I’ve called it out to the peeps on the Sammy board, but no definitive response yet.

UPDATE: The peeps from the Sammy Board jumped on it and got it corrected...on a Sunday. Games are NOT showing as “Cancelled” now.
 #35286  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:43 pm
Less than 6 weeks away and 5 Saturdays to kickoff. Really hoping this spring seaon happens. I notice that Shiflett is now listed as WR and QB.
 #35291  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:12 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am
Has the SoCon come out with its protocols for when to cancel games, contact tracing, number of days for isolation, etc.? Seems like games were cancelled based on some arbitrary percentage of positives+ close contacts. Games were cancelled if teams were down 20 players or so leaving them with only about the same number of players as an FCS team or about twice as many as the average high school.

Those rules varied a good bit between fbs conferences. It seems like the Big 10 for some reason decided to out protocol everybody else and made it nearly impossible to play. They’ve now adjusted protocols to get OSU up to full strength. There were also cases in the ACC and Big 10 where teams unilaterally shut down games that would have been played under the agreed upon protocols. I hope the fcs guys have learned from all of that.

They can also at least consider the fact that full seasons were played involving thousands of players, and it doesn’t appear that anyone became seriously ill. Also no conferences or schools have been sued out of existence. So MAYBE slightly less restrictive measures are in order and fewer games will need to be cancelled.
I don’t know Furmanoid...I heard just this AM that Covid is now causing serious Psychological problems. Seems patients, with no prior psychological problems, post-Covid, are developing severe paranoia, hallucinogenic psychoses, self-harm imaginings, and even erectile dysfunction.

There is, literally, no end to the disasters that we will be told this virus has brought upon us.

Humanity is looking at 4th & 37. Our only choice, obviously, is to punt.
I developed these symptoms after a party at Woodwinds in 1983.....
 #35294  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:43 pm
Less than 6 weeks away and 5 Saturdays to kickoff. Really hoping this spring seaon happens. I notice that Shiflett is now listed as WR and QB.

At this stage, the spike in numbers is almost assuredly tied to the holidays. It is pretty clear - at least to me - that the numbers spike every time there is a big holiday. There really are not any such holidays from New Years to Memorial Day, so I would expect things to level off at some point.

As far as QB, with Grainger's departure I expect someone will need to be designated as QB3 this spring. Sisson looks to have won the job outright this fall. We haven't seen much of Hardin, but he's gotten playing time and run the offense. I assume in the fall Wilson will get mixed in, but for this spring, someone needs to be on call. Shiflett makes as much sense as anyone.
 #35297  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am
Looks like new infections are running at about 4-5 times what they were during football season (in SC). If the threshold for safe play is lower than what we had in September, it’s hard to see us playing. Hopefully the threshold will be adjusted based on the current understanding of risk.

At the the HS level we are sweating the prospect of shutting down a second straight spring season wiping out the entire varsity careers of many athletes. Probably won’t happen no matter what the numbers do.
 #35318  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm
My opinion here, but I think this is the bigger risk to a spring season -- playing two "seasons" in the same calendar year.

Indiana State, for instance, opts out for that reason.

#35319  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm
My opinion here, but I think this is the bigger risk to a spring season -- playing two "seasons" in the same calendar year.

Indiana State, for instance, opts out for that reason.

nah
 #35320  by AstroDin
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm
The Boys are Back in Town

Top Left a ripped Jake Johanning
Top Right Clark Daniel???
Bottom Left Devin Wynn looking ready to tote the rock
Bottom Right Jordan Harris looking every bit 6-4 301
 #35322  by Rokawaylifer
 Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 pm
Great work. But I’d like to see some shots of the boys seeing the white Buffalo after an impossible set in the squat rack. Or some brain numbing deadlifts. Also, that lad needs a much heavier kettlebell. That looks like maybe a 72 lb. he should be pressing that thing not swinging the darn thing and really swinging much more with ease. I’d like to see him one arm press the 88. Swing about 120. But great shots. Thanks. Keep working boys. quote=AstroDin post_id=35320 time=1610420074 user_id=62]
The Boys are Back in Town

Top Left a ripped Jake Johanning
Top Right Clark Daniel???
Bottom Left Devin Wynn looking ready to tote the rock
Bottom Right Jordan Harris looking every bit 6-4 301
[/quote]